Oops methinks she is dead

Ian Whinnett

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I got a OK looking k100rt on a 83 plate middle of last year, been using it as a winter hack. Recently it has started knocking on start up but noise goes away once the engine has been running for a minute or two. Otherwise she goes well and pulls on well. I think I read steptoe posted that the knock is a death rattle and bodes ill for the engine.

I only paid £700 for the bike and otherwise is quite tidy, cant decide whether to do a turd polish on it and sort the engine whilst I am at it or flebay and cut my losses. I am a competent mechanic but it would have to be done at work as I dont have a shed. I feel OK about spending some money on the old girl but has anyone else done a engine rebuild and have any idea of costing.

Cheers in advance of any advice I get good or bad.

I don't have any exact info on the k but when I worked on cars cortinas ect a knock like that pointed to the oil filter JJH

Sounds like it could be the output shaft knocking, commom on early K100. Easiest fix is another engine, cheap these days if you look around and don't mind doing the work.

Yes probably output shaft which can be replaced by the later 12 rivet K1100 unit

I did it for Electric Monk originally and Ogmios has the bike now

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1080304290883.13317.1324578798&type=1&l=e3cbc6eb62 Sorry I know they are on bakebook but that should take you straight in without registering

Sends a shiver down my spine thinking about it but the bike is still alive and in the hands of Ogmios now. If you can get the job done the bike at a reasonable price it will be fit for many more years of use.

Ok I can accept the diagnosis of the output shaft being fubar, big job? engine out or not? If yes then I may as well do the clutch and have a good look at everything else whilst I am there.

Back
Top Bottom