Amal : V : Del orto

the civil one

Reaction score
i recently picked up a T3 , Fitted with Amal Concentrics Mk2s
Whats the Differances between these and the Del orto VHB30 that were the
original fitment

i have never heard of a T3 fitted with amals. not from the factory anyway, and why would anyone fit them? :eek

a few v7 bikes came with amals, for reasons unclear. rumour is that delorto were on strike :nenau

delortos have accelerator pumps, but IME they perform no useful function. they also have flat slides that i hear wear, but looking at them, it's difficult to see how that might affect things. i've certainly never replaced a knackered slide or body.

amals have round slides that wear badly and do affect things. at least that is true of mk 1s. there is a thriving industry in renovating them.

having said that, i have looked after an amal equipped eldorado for getting on 20 years. the carbs look shot to fuck, but it runs fine.

So , Should i look for a Pair of VHB30,s or just try the Amals ,,
The wee motor is a long way off worrying about carbs..
But i hope in the relative near future i will.

If you do buy Amals make sure you strip and clean them, and check that they have the same jets / chokes and pilots. The finish in my experience is poor, i have had brand new carbs with swarf in them. If you must change, Have a look at Mikunis, but dont forget you may also have to look at changing the throttle cables .

if it was me, i'd be looking for a set of delortos, but you've got the amals, so maybe worth trying them first?

AAMOI i tried fitting a set of delortos i have kicking about* to the eldorado i mentioned earlier and i couldn't get it to settle to a tickover properly so i gave up. never understood what the issue was :confused:

*not for sale.

AFAIK the T3 delortos did not have accelerator pumps, Lemans did. When I owned my first T3, I fitted pumper carbs to it (after a head job done).

So , Should i look for a Pair of VHB30,s or just try the Amals ,,

Amals are great carbs, especially the Mark II. very easy to jet and have a huge range of needles and jets available. Amal themselves are very helpful if you need any technical help. Dellortos are a pain in the arse for getting spares for. The needles for the original carbs fitted to the T3 are no longer available.

The original amals always wore the slides badly, the spanish made amals were appalling, had poor quality control and would more often than not come full of swarf and with missing parts.

Since they've come back to the UK the quality is excellent and the materials have been changed. lots of jetting help and downloads under the download section

http://www.amalcarb.co.uk/

I used to race a Mini with quadruple Amal carbs. What a fecking pain to set up - but when you got it right it went petty well!

:)

Back
Top Bottom