First GS test ride is out

Glad Ive ordered one with all the extras :D. Pick it up from Allan Jeffries in Shipley, early March. Would have bought the adventure model but have been told they will not be released until end of 2nd quarter 2014!

Quite surprised to read this:

Linked brakes add stability, yet are severe enough to slide the rear wheel on a dirt road by using only the front brake lever

Juiced Up.

That's got the juices going, can we have a thread counting down the "number of sleeps" before i collect my white TE from Astle's on the 2nd

BTW thanks for posting link.

Thanks for posting. Not sure if he likes it a little bit or a big bit:confused:

He packs a lot of info in the report, only negative is engine performance off road at low speed . Seems improved all round but there is a but about engine control off road!

I wonder if all the bits and pieces have the torque values moulded into them or is it just the mirrors?

I was wondering too, glad it wasn't just me......

Maybe the Enduro/Super Enduro/Suck Your Dick mode or whatever it's called lets the ABS lock a wheel but only the back one IYSWIM

I'd love something like that as I can't use the back brake :)

Andres

A more road biased report would be good for us softies that'll be on the black stuff 90% of the time:comfort As everyone was sent home from SA early, hopefully there will be some more reviews very soon.:thumb

I think the adventure model is already out ?

Different seat,bigger bash plate,wire wheels,enduro pro mapping.

i know the mericans talk b****cks sometimes,(as do I) but in both their reviews they mention the "adventure model"

Just a thought,but I did say from the beggining that I felt the adv model would be add ons from the standard model.

Time will tell.

Steve

I think it's deliberate Mav........if you read the whole paragraph in context, it sounds like it is set just about right so you can have some fun on the loose stuff.

Most impressive, however, is the off-road traction control available. Blasting along one of South Africa’s many hard-packed gravel roads, engaging the Enduro ride mode offered a comprehensive safety net. The ABS is configured much differently in Enduro than for the three road-going modes, and allows for a perceptible loss of traction entering dirt corners. Linked brakes add stability, yet are severe enough to slide the rear wheel on a dirt road by using only the front brake lever.
Exiting the same gravel-strewn corners in Enduro mode is great fun, the ASC delivering just enough power to hold long power slides without losing control.

I read that as a positive, not a negative :nenau

I'm not liking this bit though:
An optional chip from BMW will enable a fifth mode, Enduro Pro, that we journalists were able to exercise on a short but very technical off-road loop just before lunch on our long day of riding.

WTF......so you have to buy an extra chip to get the bike to do what a lot of owners WANT it to do?
Sod that

I think the adventure model is already out ?

Different seat,bigger bash plate,wire wheels,enduro pro mapping.

i know the mericans talk b****cks sometimes,(as do I) but in both their reviews they mention the "adventure model"

Just a thought,but I did say from the beggining that I felt the adv model would be add ons from the standard model.

Time will tell.

Steve

That's also always been my take on it. Nothing really to base it upon so we'll see I guess.

The only thing against that may be that the 'Adventure' spec you mention is sort of 'real world' practical stuff aimed very much at off roading and won't necessarily appeal to what is maybe the biggest current market - much of which is based purely on fashion and wanting to have the biggest GS as well as perceived advantages such as bigger fuel range :nenau

WBM may therefore feel that they need a more 'manly' version (ie bigger) to appeal to this market.

Andres

WTF......so you have to buy an extra chip to get the bike to do what a lot of owners think they WANT it to do but would never have the skills to exploit in a Tesco's car park let alone off road
Sod that

That's more like it :)

Still don't see why one should have to pay extra though :nenau

Andres

WTF......so you have to buy an extra chip to get the bike to do what a very few owners WANT it to do, and slightly larger number of owners WANT to say they could do if they wanted?

(fixed)

...and what any sane owner couldn't give a flying fuck about :D

I keep seeing pictures of a bike with wire wheels, chunky tyres,one piece dual seat,and a larger bash plate.
I saw it at the show but there seems to be no mention of it on the motorrad web site,which would suggest it's not a bike built as standard but a bike you can spec. (adv ? )

I also cannot see how they could get a larger tank on the bike without moving the radiators and the only place I could see they could move it to would be lower down which would put it in a very vulnerable position.

For every adventure rider that wants a larger tank I'll bet there's 2 that would like a lower seat.

Just my take on it but as I said earlier,time will tell.

Steve

On the BMW FACEBOOK site they have mentioned a 1st quarter 2014 launch date for the Adventure. As it is at least 40% of GS sales, with a price premium, it would be reasonable of them to launch one.

What is confusing is that the bikes used in South Africa at the luanch all seemed to have wire wheels.

I keep seeing pictures of a bike with wire wheels, chunky tyres,one piece dual seat,and a larger bash plate.
I saw it at the show but there seems to be no mention of it on the motorrad web site,which would suggest it's not a bike built as standard but a bike you can spec. (adv ? )

I also cannot see how they could get a larger tank on the bike without moving the radiators and the only place I could see they could move it to would be lower down which would put it in a very vulnerable position.

For every adventure rider that wants a larger tank I'll bet there's 2 that would like a lower seat.

Just my take on it but as I said earlier,time will tell.

Steve

That's the Enduro model. From what I can gather, the Enduro is the lightweight version of the Adventure, as an alternative to the Adventure for those that want the versatility without the huge tank and weight. It seems BMW has found the need for another GS model in the range.:rob:rolleyes:

That's the Enduro model. From what I can gather, the Enduro is the lightweight version of the Adventure, as an alternative to the Adventure for those that want the versatility without the huge tank and weight. It seems BMW has found the need for another GS model in the range.:rob:rolleyes:

Now that makes good marketing sense but I guess both KTM and Triumph do it with their new bikes.

Another review here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27020.htm

Fairly glowing conclusion:

Conclusion
The 2012 BMW R1200GS is a fantastic machine with a thoroughly deserved reputation, the 2013 bike takes this based an improves on it by adding a giant leap forward when it comes to technology and handling. There was a danger that by increasing power and torque BMW may have lost the GS ethos and character but it hasn't. Owners of the air/oil cooled model shouldn't despair but the (partly) liquid-cooled GS is the future and will dominate group tests and sales charts for years to come. The new KTM 1190 Adventure will probably be a better off-road bike and will have a splash of KTM's character, but I'm sure the GS will still remain the choice of the majority because it does everything so incredibly well.

Not sure how tough pistonheads are usually... didn't strike me as one to pander to corporates...

R1200GSE just waiting delivery - :thumb

Back
Top Bottom