WANTED - Old Files or Rasps

john_aero

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok looking for any old metal files, wood rasps etc as going do a bit of knife making.

so before start buying expensive material want try test the techniques on old files.

they are meant make very good blades for what they are.

cheers

John, I've got a dozen or so old files of different sizes and most are chipped or worn, yer welcome to the lot.
Should keep ya going....:hammer

BTW, I at last found the XChallenge disk.:thumb2

Have you thought of using an old leaf spring which is half decent steel.
Cut out a blank using an angle grinder.......just stay away from the area around the mounting holes.

Cut out a blank using an angle grinder.......just stay away from the area around the mounting holes.

Bastard

I was just about to suggest that, the springs from an old VW Beetle are already the right thickness and width.

131-411-107A.JPG

I made a crossbow from one when I was younger, really nice steel.

I stayed in an Iban longhouse for two weeks in Borneo, spent hours watching them forge parangs (machetes) from landrover leaf-springs.
They made me one which I treasured, unfortunately a burglar stole it a few years back. :tears

well i didnt think get leaf springs for free to be honest as i see most flog them to scrpa metal yards

spring steel is best but as its learning curve i wil waste the files 1st them beg steal or borrow... leaf springs

Ok looking for any old metal files, wood rasps etc as going do a bit of knife making.

so before start buying expensive material want try test the techniques on old files.

they are meant make very good blades for what they are.

cheers

Mate of mine in work used an old file to make a knife with, he's into bushcraft. The file worked fine but from start to finish it took him 400 hours to complete it and make and rivet a handle on it

John I have made a few out of farriers rasps. I am a farrier and I get through a rasp a week so I have a pile of them. If you are anywhere rural in Ireland any farrier will give you a pile of them. if you are going to just grind them down then they will work but lots of grinding required. I fold them and fire weld them in a billet and then hammer them out. otherwise the tanged side always remains patterned.
Here is one in the fire.
IMG_0104.jpg

fold it a couple of times

IMG_0106.jpg

get it molten and forge a billet

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

them wheel in some muscle to forge it out.

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

Then grind it up

IMG_0134.jpg

Used know farrier but i moved away. I plan make small pit to fire everything it and hammer and fold it. I plan try learn the techniques and get good before but expensive metals

Back
Top Bottom