The R80G/S so-called front brake... possible fixes?

MiGSel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a question for the airhead gurus :)

In order to improve the rather nonexistent front brake of the R80G/S, what are the options?

This is the oem item. I wouldn't really call it a brake ;)

attachment.php

I have found this, by jackafrica. Looks pretty good to me.

attachment.php

Somebody suggested this as a fix:

12075167-M.jpg

Sold by HE-Motorradtechnik in Germany. I've been told this works well, but I have a nearly new disc, so it's a bit of a waste... Has anybody here tried it?

Other suggestions?

tia
Michel

para's got one. at least he ordered one, but of course he's not here :rolleyes:

i think i'm going to order one as soon as i've checked paragon's out.

Michel: When I used to mess with 80/100Gs I fitted calipers from a K1100RS. Four piston's, great improvement...

Try Motobins. They use to sell those for about 60-70 quids already adapted. Or you can buy one of those and file out a small grove where the bolts go trough to make it fit. Easy job...

Steptoe my be able to help you...

Hi Yosi,

Was that on a GS or a G/S? The GS calipers are in front of the fork, the G/S is at the back.

I had a K1100 caliper in my hands the other day, it doesn't come close to fitting :(

Cheers,
Michel

the 4-pot makes it a bit better but it's not a solution. brake is still crap.

MiGSel said:
Hi Yosi,

Was that on a GS or a G/S? The GS calipers are in front of the fork, the G/S is at the back.

I had a K1100 caliper in my hands the other day, it doesn't come close to fitting :(

Cheers,
Michel
The modified K1100 4-pot is an option for the GS (Paralever) so far as I know its not for the G/S (Monolever).

Find yourself a decent brembo/Nissin caliper and get an adaptor plate made for your G/S's mounting lugs a la the picture you posted would be the best bet :thumb

R1 caliper

I have been told that a Yamaha R1 4 pot caliper will fit the 80G/s.........I would like to know if it does to, now the 100gs paralever has been prised off me, i'm not trying to sell the lovely siebenrock 80G/S can feel twin plugging coming on.but first, yes it needs a front brake.............. K1100 works on 100GS, made a fantatsic improvement to mine. Motoworks sell 'em about £95

Hi MiGSel,

I have yet to see a clean engineering solution for an 1981-1986 R80G/S... other than an R100GS front end with Harrison 6 piston calipers/ Wunderlitch rotor,and even those have pad wear problems.

Jack africa is the closest so far with the 40mm Brembo and stock rotor.

An R1 caliper will not fit without alot of work... it is too fat and there are clearance issues with the spokes...

The best fit I could find was a Sumitomo four piston from a 1995 Yamaha 600 fazer, right side (I checked about 25 different calipers),seems to be the same as exup. However when mounted it sits very low to the end of the fork leg (like JackAfrica) and could be damaged easily by rocks, etc...

So I have purchased an EBC prolite disc / new pads and will replace the rubber hose and steel line with braided stainless. Rebuild the Original caliper and master cylinder(13mm) if I can find the kits.
Then Hopefully it will work well enough to stop the bike...

Or then there is this...R100GS front end,R80G/S caliper, Honda 650 rotor with bushing.

Attachments

• resize of hubb rally 2004 035.jpg
    resize of hubb rally 2004 035.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,913
I've tried many, but so far, this is the best solution I've found. Of course, you have to work on your anticipation skills otherwise it's not that effective... :p

Attachments

• cd022_treasure_island_anchor.jpg
    cd022_treasure_island_anchor.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,324
Billet

well took the plunge today and bought a Billet mini 6. Scheesh need to stop the pocket rocket somehow. Maybe a HPN floating rear is on the cards but don't really use the back brake for real braking.......................:D

i bottled out of a billet on cost grounds. let us all know how it performs.

arrived

well the billet arrived today.it looks the business all shiny and business like, excellent service from them ...........total cost £312-67 (ouch)...................
Let you know how it works !!

Thats a lot of money !...Fzr1000 caliper on mine works a treat cost a tenner. Been on there for 2 years/15k.This pic is the top of the stella alpine

Attachments

• stella.jpg
    stella.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,298
I like the sound of that Garry. Can I have a closer look please? :D

Got more details about that caliper? FZR built in ...?

A drawing of the adapter would be really great, but too much to ask for probably :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Michel

Closer look at the fzr caliper...There are a few bits involved in the conversion...But well worth the effort it works far better than the 4 pot brembo i put on my r100gs.You have got genuine 2 finger braking ! And it's cheap for the caliper and the pads ( pads have done over 15k now with lots of alpine passes and are no more than half worn )...Even under hard riding 2 up it does not fade...One of the main drawbacks i found at first was the front end twisting under hard braking so i fitted a proper top triple clamp that i made out of a spare lower clamp that cured most of the twist

Attachments

• brake.jpg
    brake.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,320
I have HE kit, I installed it last summer and I have been quite satisfied with it. I also installed steel brade hose sametime. Brake really was improved.

Old disc wasn`t so worn but there happened something in it as the rivets got loose! The noise what it made was indescribable!! I tried to tighten the rivets but after few hundred kilometers they got loose again.

But, I think it dosent fit to G/S???

http://airfoto.fujikuvat.fi/album/showalbum.php?id=32815&from=25

I know this is a very old thread but if Garry-H is reading this I would be very keen to use this FZR1000 set-up. So would it be possible to show us some detailed drawing of the adapter or even make another and sell it to me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ian.

Closer look at the fzr caliper...There are a few bits involved in the conversion...

Garry, hope you are still around!

Did your conversion involve any machining of the caliper legs? I have held a 4-piston K-bike caliper up to my G/S and it seems that a large amount fo the caliper mounting ears would need to me machines away to use the lower caliper mounting ear with the stock lower fork boss....

Any information you can provide would be appreciate, I would like to make the adapters and copy your modification.

Cheers,

SL

I have held a 4-piston K-bike caliper up to my G/S and it seems that a large amount fo the caliper mounting ears would need to me machines away to use the lower caliper mounting ear with the stock lower fork boss....

The 4 pot K caliper mounting lugs have to be machined to 10.5 mm -

fairly straightforward job.

The 4 pot K caliper mounting lugs have to be machined to 10.5 mm -

fairly straightforward job.

They are not the correct width, and an adapter is required. For a GS they can be machined and the caliper tossed right now.

Are you speaking of G/S's or GS's?

Back
Top Bottom