Help, strong keys needed

Dave56

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bit of a strange one this but because of the crap locks on Yamaha' s luggage system for the S10 I'm currently on my 2nd set of keys. To be fair to the dealer he got a key cut specifically for the luggage so as not to damage the programmed keys but this now also has the appearance of a banana.
I was therefore wondering if it is possible to have a key cut from toughened steel or something similar, as I would imagine that they are generally made from rather poor quality metal.

Not being funny but have you watched the Yamaha video on operating the panniers, it looks as if the panniers need a bit of pressure on the lids and then they open really easy..maybe a case of RTFM?

Not being funny but have you watched the Yamaha video on operating the panniers, it looks as if the panniers need a bit of pressure on the lids and then they open really easy..maybe a case of RTFM?

Indeed. I bent a key the first time I went to open a lock. Mildly annoying that you need 2 hands but a little downward pressure on the lid lets the keys operate without difficulty.

Before I bought the S10 i had done a bit of research and was even told byt the dealer that the YAM panniers were not great.

I bought GIVI instead.

Maybe sell them if you can get them working and but a set of GIVI's.

:nenau

Mate of mine had a short key cut just for the panniers, think he just told the local locksmith what he wanted and they found a suitable blank and cut it.

Before I bought the S10 i had done a bit of research and was even told byt the dealer that the YAM panniers were not great.

I bought GIVI instead.

Maybe sell them if you can get them working and but a set of GIVI's.

:nenau

The OE panniers work okay but other brands may be better. My bike was bought used and came with the OE panniers included. If one is ordering a new bike or buying a used bike with no panniers then it makes sense to look at other options as they could be cheaper and/or better. I can't see any merit in ditching the OE panniers if you already have them.

Thanks for that Rasher, bit of a bloody pain though. Wish now I'd lashed out a bit more cash and gone for TRAX set, ah well you live and learn........:thumb

Thanks for that Rasher, bit of a bloody pain though. Wish now I'd lashed out a bit more cash and gone for TRAX set, ah well you live and learn........:thumb

If it makes you feel better....

.... the Trax locks feel a bit cheap and nasty and the whole 3 box setup is pretty expensive, a lot cheaper than Touratech and Mules, but probably a fair bit more than your Yamaha stuff cost - and they stick out more.

Happy now :thumb2

If it makes you feel better....

.... the Trax locks feel a bit cheap and nasty and the whole 3 box setup is pretty expensive, a lot cheaper than Touratech and Mules, but probably a fair bit more than your Yamaha stuff cost - and they stick out more.

Happy now :thumb2

Thanks mate......:thumb

The OE panniers work okay but other brands may be better. My bike was bought used and came with the OE panniers included. If one is ordering a new bike or buying a used bike with no panniers then it makes sense to look at other options as they could be cheaper and/or better. I can't see any merit in ditching the OE panniers if you already have them.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom