Insurance and Green Cards

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With some trepidation I got on the phone today to renew my bike insurance, knowing I need cover for the Balkans and never having been able to get all the countries covered previously.

However, it seems that Groupama via Carole Nash can now do that. Here's what I was told:

Albania, Macedonia, Bosnia - green card required, cost £31.80 for 30 days.
Serbia, Croatia, covered, green card not required
Kosovo, cover not available

Paperwork is on it's way, I'll check it very carefully as there have been lots of issues around Croatia especially.

Issues around Croatia? Not for years. Every car/bike policy I've had for about 5 years has included Croatia. Even the breakdown element of my current policies cover Croatia now - they have signed an accession treaty with the EU and are definitely not a Commie backwater now.

With some trepidation I got on the phone today to renew my bike insurance, knowing I need cover for the Balkans and never having been able to get all the countries covered previously.

However, it seems that Groupama via Carole Nash can now do that. Here's what I was told:

Albania, Macedonia, Bosnia - green card required, cost £31.80 for 30 days.
Serbia, Croatia, covered, green card not required
Kosovo, cover not available

Paperwork is on it's way, I'll check it very carefully as there have been lots of issues around Croatia especially.

How are you getting to Albania? Keep in mind Montenegro is not part of Serbia and a Green Card is needed.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Customer+Serv...formation/Countries+covered+by+Green+Card.htm

Also I wouldn't miss going there, it's a beautiful place :thumb

Some folk here would beg to differ

Issues around Croatia? Not for years. Every car/bike policy I've had for about 5 years has included Croatia. Even the breakdown element of my current policies cover Croatia now - they have signed an accession treaty with the EU and are definitely not a Commie backwater now.

Rip off Britain?

As I mentioned in another thread, my French bike insurance includes all of the above countries as well as the Baltics, Turkey Tunisia, Morocco, Ukraine, Bosnia/Herogovina, Romania, Bulgaria and others whose country codes I don't even recognise.

You guys need some new insurance companies.

Groupama is French! Mind you, I paid £400 for a BMW GSA, a KTM 690R, a KTM 350EXC and a Yamaha WR250F, fully comp, including legal cover and European breakdown for all bikes, including the mods that have been done. Bet you'd pay more in France!

As I mentioned in another thread, my French bike insurance includes all of the above countries as well as the Baltics, Turkey Tunisia, Morocco, Ukraine, Bosnia/Herogovina, Romania, Bulgaria and others whose country codes I don't even recognise.

You guys need some new insurance companies.

Some folk here would beg to differ

that thread is 3 years old - as the link to the MIB shows, Croatia is now in the Multilateral Agreement and should be included in all policies just like the other non-EU members such as Norway, Andorra etc.

Groupama is French! Mind you, I paid £400 for a BMW GSA, a KTM 690R, a KTM 350EXC and a Yamaha WR250F, fully comp, including legal cover and European breakdown for all bikes, including the mods that have been done. Bet you'd pay more in France!
BMW R1150GS - €328 FT, legal cover, but no breakdown, 50% bonus, MAAF:D

that thread is 3 years old - as the link to the MIB shows, Croatia is now in the Multilateral Agreement and should be included in all policies just like the other non-EU members such as Norway, Andorra etc.

Some of the posts on that thread were last year, and some people on the ADVrider trip last autumn had a lot of problems - although Croatia is part of the multilateral agreement, it hadn't necessarily filtered through to the insurance agents - thus causing problems.

I'm heading down to Turkey and am also with Carole Nash and Groupema. I was able to get a greencard for Turkey for a month from them for £45. The rest of my Balkan route, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and Bulgaria is covered by the standard insurance Certificate.

Although I could get a green card at the Turkey border it feels good to have one in my hand and linked to my main insurance policy. I suspect the one at the border would be cheaper though. From memory in 2011, the green card at the Montenego border was £10 and the one at the Bosnia border was about £20.

My Turkey Greencard arrived today and it covers not just Turkey but also a long list of countries, including Morocco and Russia and only excludes Isreal, Iran, and Ukraine.

Back
Top Bottom