Bike test

prop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Received April editions bike magazine today. Martin Fitz-Gibbons has tested the new gs. A very worrying report of a tank slapper that resulted in the lock stop snapping from the frame!
After being very disappointed with my 04, I was hoping the claim that many miles of testing would have resulted in issues like this being sorted before production. There will be those that say bmw will sort it out, Final drive failed on my 04 and they still fail on the TC, FPC still an issue on my TC.
I hope it was a isolated incident, time will tell.

Prop

Received April editions bike magazine today. Martin Fitz-Gibbons has tested the new gs. A very worrying report of a tank slapper that resulted in the lock stop snapping from the frame!
I hope it was a isolated incident, time will tell.

Prop

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out as I don't think his was the only 'incident'. I've not read the test report but am assuming it was off road (and giving the bike the berries?) :nenau

Andres

I've not read the test report but am assuming it was off road (and giving the bike the berries?)

'fraid not. It was "down a straight flat road, cruise control set at 75mph, the front wheel kicks off a harmless looking imperfection....Without warning the bars explode into a tankslapper so violent it snaps the lockstop off the frame..."

Goes on to say another rider experienced a "wild tankslapper" on a dirt road while doing a steady 45mph.

And a third rider had a similar experience...

Generally a good report but for the tankslapper incident...

Maybe I'm just being over suspicious but did Kevin Ash not get killed when he "lost" control of his bike.

I hope BM take these reports seriously and sort the bike out before they release it to the public.

According to the test it was at 75mph on a flat straight road.
Wheel kicks off a "harmless looking imperfection in the road".
Photo shows the lockstop ripped clean off.

I've read other reports (Maybe on here :nenau) where test riders have complained of tank slapping.

That a big old tank slapper at 75mph to take a lock stop out :eek:

Could this be the 'thing' that this latest version of the GS range suffers with?

An uncontrolled tankslapper at speed is one of the most terrifying experiences any motorcyclist can have. I read that BIKE report this morning, and it's unusual for a mainstream magazine like BIKE to be so direct in their comments. Normally they do their best to be as diplomatic as possible.

I recall several ts's and almost "got religion" after my last one at 70 mph .... a restored Kawasaki S3 400.

If the new WC is doing those.... well... I don't know.

BMW engineering (may) have some work to do. Lets hope it it's just an anomaly and nothing more.

new gs

:mad: This is all very worrying. I am a lover of the current gs and am seriously considering the new lc. When they become available as used in a few months, that is!
This is a real scarey:confused: report.

Any links?

It's not unusual for a new design to have flaws, I shall report back when I've had a test ride after March 2nd:D

I know a certain stretch of Derbyshire road, that would show up any chassis imperfections

I'm surprised no one's been along telling us all to stop fussing and it'll be sorted under warranty.

You are not thinking of going all 1200 on us are you JB:augie.

I'll have a test ride, like anyone

Good competition linked to test rides, a loan of a R12GS WC for 3 months and a free 5 day all paid trip to BMW 2013 Motorrad days @ Garmisch

This was reported weeks ago:rob Old news:rolleyes::comfort

Important news........ as more and journo's report the same thing though

They can't all be making it up:blast

Interesting that all of them will have been riding solo and without luggage (or at least nothing in the boxes)

Let's see when you get your 15 stone Doris on the back and 2 weeks worth of clothes and paraphenalia too:eek:

This was reported weeks ago:rob Old news:rolleyes::comfort

Yup, but more as comments/anecdotal comments.

This is different as it's appeared in a mainstream mag (not known for it's independence from its advertisers) and explains exactly how it happened and the consequences. To happen at a normal (constant) riding speed and to not be an isolated incident is something for concern.

I'm genuinely not taking the piss and the last thing I am is a 1200 / LC basher but I don't think you can discount it as just 'old news'. I'd be concerned if I was getting one.

Oh, and a good friend of mine has literally just cancelled his LC order as a result of Kevin Ash's accident and now this (again, not a piss take).

Andres

Important news........ as more and journo's report the same thing though

They can't all be making it up:blast

Interesting that all of them will have been riding solo and without luggage (or at least nothing in the boxes)

Let's see when you get your 15 stone Doris on the back and 2 weeks worth of clothes and paraphenalia too:eek:

I'm not dismissing it JB, there has obviously been a problem in SA. Lets see how it pans out over here.

As it's now hit the mainstream media, BMW will HAVE to address the problem IF there is one.:rob If there is a fault with the bike, then my wife will be a very rich lady courtesy of BMW should the worst happen:beerjug:

As mine and my wife's combined weight is not a lot more than 15 stone we won't be riding around with the front wheel in the air:D

This new bike could be BMWs TL1000s Suzuki has the rotary damper BMW has the new variable dampers new technology new set of problems?

I'm not dismissing it JB, there has obviously been a problem in SA. Lets see how it pans out over here.

As mine and my wife's combined weight is not a lot more than 15 stone we won't be riding around with the front wheel in the air:D

I bet the roads in SA have less potholes than the UK

You may be light (so you're 9 stone and yer missus is 6 stone - I don't believe that) but some GS riders won't be

Oh, and a good friend of mine has literally just cancelled his LC order as a result of Kevin Ash's accident and now this (again, not a piss take).

god forbid that Kevins accident was not due to this issue...

Back
Top Bottom