The new 1200gs lowered

fishburger

Reaction score
I just ordeed a new 1200 gs with the lowering option,in the brochure it says 790mm seat hight,I hope that include the low seat option,can anyone confirm that the suspention is lowered 30mm,and the low seat option is anohter 30mm.
if not I will cancel, as the bike lowered on suspension 60mm looks like a chopper
I have seen the old one which was lowerd that way at Wilbers.

the dealer can not confirm 100% there is a translation fault in the Bmw brochure from german to english it says Tieferlegung 790 mm (lower suspention setting 790mm) ?:confused:

The 1200LC section is the new 1200 section
I change my bikes at 30-40k km then I dont loose to much on a trade in,went to see the new bike today,its a nice one,ordered with all options 260,000kr (31000£) in Norway

Why not just go to the circus and see what the rest of the midgets are getting.

the dealer can not confirm 100% there is a translation fault in the Bmw brochure from german to english it says Tieferlegung 790 mm (lower suspention setting 790mm) ?:confused:

The 1200LC section is the new 1200 section
I change my bikes at 30-40k km then I dont loose to much on a trade in,went to see the new bike today,its a nice one,ordered with all options 260,000kr (31000£) in Norway

£31000:eek::eek::eek::eek so how much you lost on the old one ? Just noticed " all options " , still £31 k

I just ordeed a new 1200 gs with the lowering option,in the brochure it says 790mm seat hight,I hope that include the low seat option,can anyone confirm that the suspention is lowered 30mm,and the low seat option is anohter 30mm.
if not I will cancel, as the bike lowered on suspension 60mm looks like a chopper
I have seen the old one which was lowerd that way at Wilbers.

My last GS had the lowered seat and the wilbers but for some reason they hadn't done the side or centre stand. Which was quickly remedied by the lads at oceans.
I never thought there was any difference , until you put it alongside a normal one......a slight difference, but put it alongside a full height adventure and it looked like it had been mini- meed:rolleyes: It just made me like the bike even more. When it sat on its own ,nobody knew. Never regretted it ,but I couldn't tell you by how many mill it was lower, just that it worked.

I've ordered like your self the new LC with lowered seat and suspension but looking at it with the slimmer front to the seat I'm wondering do I need the lowered suspension ?
Sling your leg over one and see how you feel , that's the only way to find out :thumb2
:flag

I also have an order for the LC low suspension model.
The seat hieght is 790mm the same as the previous model. However, BMW website says the rider instep is 770mm this is 10mm higher than the previous model.
I did sit on the new LC at the MCN show and the the lower suspension bike feels slightly higher than my current low suspension bike.

I got everything sorted,the new LC is 30mm lower from the factory this is done on the suspension.
If you put the low seat on you can choose between 790 mm or 810mm seat height,by adjusting the seat.
The new LC is adjustable in seat height from 870 to 790mm depending on what seat you buy,and including the lowest options with lowering the suspension.
On my gs rally 2012 model i vent to wilbers and took it down 30 mm,had to buy the bmw center stand for the lower bmw option,I kept the sidestand as it was,no problem with the bike falling over,and easier to pick up.
signed the contract today,delivery probably late april.
I got the white one,will do some more "styling" on the big grey side panels.
I sat on a standard bike with standard seat,I could reach with my feet,but did not feel comfortable at 850mm seat height ,my inseam is 31"will go for the lower option and put the low seat at 810mm I can then flatfoot my bike.

£31000:eek::eek::eek::eek so how much you lost on the old one ? Just noticed " all options " , still £31 k

I lost 4500£ on the trad in,I will take of all the touratech bits befor giving the bike back to the dealer.
You can not use your toutatech bits on the new bike exept the footrest and the steering riser ,the rest I will put on ebay for sale,for 5-600£:thumb2

I lost 4500£ on the trad in,I will take of all the touratech bits befor giving the bike back to the dealer.
You can not use your toutatech bits on the new bike exept the footrest and the steering riser ,the rest I will put on ebay for sale,for 5-600£:thumb2

Depending on which ones you have, the bar risers will not fit, as I checked with Touratech, and the large ones are too tall, unless you start lengthening cables on the LC:rob:blast

I've got to agree about the panels they are pig ugly is there an artyfarty type on here who could make a few bob creating some adhesive graphics?

I foresee next years model being changed in this area.

Some GSA style graphics may break up the grey expanse

Depending on which ones you have, the bar risers will not fit, as I checked with Touratech, and the large ones are too tall, unless you start lengthening cables on the LC:rob:blast

I got the ROX risers
http://www.altrider.com/en/product/category/fmid/3/cid/6/d/Parts+and+Accessories+for+R+1200+GS

well if I have to do some wires and lines it dosent matter have done it before,I intend to keep this bike for a few years,if it dosent fit my beat up old body,I make it fit,there is always solution,will study the layout of the cabels at the mc exibition on friday in Oslo,thanks for the tip
fishburger

I'm thinking along the same lines re the panels.:thumb I may get mine wrapped

My brother have a car painting shop(big one)I can have him paint whatever color and lines,dosent cost me a penny:D
I have done paint jobs on Bmws before,but they will not send the paint from Germany ,due to the fact that they dont have product datasheet in norwegian.
If I go for white with some bmw colors like the one on 1200gs rally,it wont be bmw alpinewhite if they dont sell the same paint in the Bmw cars.

had a close look at my new (ordered)bike on the mc show on friday,no problem with putting a riser on the bike as I could see.
Mine will be up 1" and 1.5" closer to my body.

Dealer said I could have my new bike (lowerd )next week if I would take a black one,seeing the black beside the white I will wait for the white

I also have an order for the LC low suspension model.
The seat hieght is 790mm the same as the previous model. However, BMW website says the rider instep is 770mm this is 10mm higher than the previous model.
I did sit on the new LC at the MCN show and the the lower suspension bike feels slightly higher than my current low suspension bike.

Had Low seat option on 2006 GS, great for touching the ground (29" ISL) but torture when travelling distance (1200m two days) as knees at the wrong angle. Now on 2011 Triple Black with std seat & same distance much more comfortable. Something to consider maybe although if you don't do the distance not an issue!:thumb

Had Low seat option on 2006 GS, great for touching the ground (29" ISL) but torture when travelling distance (1200m two days) as knees at the wrong angle. Now on 2011 Triple Black with std seat & same distance much more comfortable. Something to consider maybe although if you don't do the distance not an issue!:thumb

Have to agree with the angel of the knees is not the best,I will try with the seat at 810mm or even the standard seat.
Another option with the low seat is adjustable footrest
http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1200-GS-Adv-and-HP2/Alu-High-grade-Steel/
I had them on a R1200R and they worked fine,adjusteed a little forward and down.
when it comes to riding long last summer 6000km in 5 days,in 2004 on the 1200GS 1600km from south of Sweden to Alta Norway in 17hr.
The longest trip in 24hr Bayux Franch to Oslo Norway 1880km done on a F800GS:aidan

Back
Top Bottom