New GS options

evenflow

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone out there ordered anything other than the TE model? Looking at the list of packages and trying to figure out what you actually get is a mite confusing. The premium package for instance, what exactly do you get especially if you don't cough up the extra for the ASC and rider modes. I've phoned a couple of dealers and they don't seem to be that clear either.
Looking like only two real options:-
The TE model or the basic model with heated grips and maybe chrome exhaust.
:blast

I think the reason for the unclear answer is because it's a bit complex. E.g. Ref the Premium Package you mention, code 233, you get Dynamic ESA; Computer Pro; GPS prep; Chrome exhausts; Heated grips and led indicators. It costs a mind numbing £1410 making a total for the Basic code ZK50 with the Premium Package of £12805 otr.
The Basic plus heated grips and chrome exhaust comes out at £11735 otr.
Option Code 190, the ASC and Riding Mode, is an option but only if you also order the Premium Package and some other Packages.
There's also a Comfort Package, a Dynamic Package, an Active Package and a Select Package.
I'll stop there because my brain is starting to hurt!
Jump in anyone who wants to have a go at this one, especially any of the sales guys just back from 'training' in N. Africa.

I think the reason for the unclear answer is because it's a bit complex. E.g. Ref the Premium Package you mention, code 233, you get Dynamic ESA; Computer Pro; GPS prep; Chrome exhausts; Heated grips and led indicators. It costs a mind numbing £1410 making a total for the Basic code ZK50 with the Premium Package of £12805 otr.
The Basic plus heated grips and chrome exhaust comes out at £11735 otr.
Option Code 190, the ASC and Riding Mode, is an option but only if you also order the Premium Package and some other Packages.
There's also a Comfort Package, a Dynamic Package, an Active Package and a Select Package.
I'll stop there because my brain is starting to hurt!
Jump in anyone who wants to have a go at this one, especially any of the sales guys just back from 'training' in N. Africa.

What cost is the migraine pack?

Looking at a basic bike, then speccing the options, the TE works out much better value for money.:rob

Premium Package (Dynamic ESA Semi Active Suspension System, Enduro Automatic Stability Control with Enduro ABS, On Board Computer Pro, Preparation for GPS System, Chrome Plated Exhaust System, Heated Grips, LED Indicators) £1410.00

So that takes the total to £12805. You can't take anything off of the premium package. Then add a couple of other choice options and you're over the price of the TE.

Either go for a basic bike, or a TE, at least that's what BMW are recommending, judging by the pricing.:thumb

Another issue to consider is depreciation. The TE will be a distinct model with it's own residuals above the base model ( I predict/hope ) but the base model with extras will have a lower residual than the TE but similar to the base model.

The extras rarely add value to residuals.......maybe a marginal value; that's my experience.

I think its something we're going to hear a lot from the dealers, ie "you wont get as much for it".
Theres a £2065 difference between the TE and the basic with grips and chrome exhaust, overall I reckon you'll lose a bigger percentage of your initail outlay on the TE . But...it depends what you want I suppose - you pays ya money!

I think its something we're going to hear a lot from the dealers, ie "you wont get as much for it".
Theres a £2065 difference between the TE and the basic with grips and chrome exhaust, overall I reckon you'll lose a bigger percentage of your initail outlay on the TE . But...it depends what you want I suppose - you pays ya money!

+1

Most of the TE accessories are completely unnecessary to the true enjoyment of the motorcycle

They are only of any use down the pub, to impress others

So, in my ignorance, WMB bikes have gone down the same route as most car manufacturers :nenau

If, for example, I wanted the base model but also heated grips and say the LED light would I then have to buy a complete package and get a load of stuff I didn't want :nenau

Andres

So, in my ignorance, WMB bikes have gone down the same route as most car manufacturers :nenau

If, for example, I wanted the base model but also heated grips and say the LED light would I then have to buy a complete package and get a load of stuff I didn't want :nenau

Andres

You do get better vfm for buying a package because it streamlines production for them, they've only got to build 2 or 3 variants

If I buy one, i'm gonna order something really weird, just to feck up their production schedule :)

You do get better vfm for buying a package because it streamlines production for them, they've only got to build 2 or 3 variants

If I buy one, i'm gonna order something really weird, just to feck up their production schedule :)

Go for it :D

VFM? Mmmmm, if I wanted all the stuff in a package yes. If I don't I'm potentially paying for stuff I don't want. A bit like supermarkets buy one get one at half price; yeah better VFM but I'm still buying more of something than I intended and the manufacturer/retailer gets to shift more volume. They are ultimately the winner.

I can, of course, see why MBW do it. Easier production for them and they are selling more stuff. Stuff that may not have been ordered if there were more flexibility in ordering - it's a no brainer from a manufacturers POV and why all the car peeps have been doing it for some time now.

Andres

Like I did with my Triple Black, there was one in the showroom pretty much as I wanted it, I declined it and said I wanted low 1st gear and no alarm, " as you wish but you'll have to wait 6 weeks" says the salesman, "great" says I "that will coincide with the new registration" :D
The bike arrived with low 1st gear and the alarm :blast
they waived the cost of the alarm and left it on the bike ;)

If I were buying a 1200LC I would go for the TE package, most of the items within the package I think I would select anyway except for maybe the chrome exhaust, as it is I think I'll wait a year and see what the ADV version will look like, I wonder if they will keep the colour options for the ADV variant.........looking at previous ADV models I doubt it, shame as I quite like the shade of Blue offered on the 1200GS LC :comfort

if i ordered one, it would have just the computer as an extra. don't want all the other electronic nonsense, especially bmw's third rate, but very expensive suspension. not missed any of that stuff on my current GSA.

i'll have plenty of time to reconsider that, as i'll be waiting for the adventure version :D

I need heating and abs. The other gadgets I have not had them and I have not missed them :nenau

I need heating and abs. The other gadgets I have not had them and I have not missed them :nenau

Cruise control included is £12000 on the road with the above options. Could be ready in May;).

ABS is compulsory i think, and yes i'd definitely have the heated grips too.

so, the same spec as the bike i have now, which is the same spec as the one before bar the updates. change is overrated :D

+1

Most of the TE accessories are completely unnecessary to the true enjoyment of the motorcycle

They are only of any use down the pub, to impress others

Most wont have figured out how to use them before they buy their next one!

old farts

:QUOTE=The Nutty GSER;3372907]The old farts won't :comfort:D[/QUOTE]

:beerjug: I take exception to that. I am an old fart but I know all there is to know about my gs, which I reckon is the best bike on the road!

Incidentally Nutty enjoy the new LC when you pick it up:friday

Back
Top Bottom