Two things to know about the LC

Mad_Accountant

Reaction score
Firstly, the top box is bigger (taller) than on the hexhead model. This is obviously good news for storage but sad for me as I liked how sleek the old one was in it's unexpanded state.

Secondly, the BMW alarm no longer has a key fob but automatically arms itself and cannot be switched off. (I believe it can be turned off under the seat). I don't own an LC but I'm guessing putting a heavy cover on the bike, removing same or parking covered in the wind will be a pain. Perhaps a new owner with alarm would care to clarify for us?

But hey! What a SUPERB BIKE !

Firstly, the top box is bigger (taller) than on the hexhead model. This is obviously good news for storage but sad for me as I liked how sleek the old one was in it's unexpanded state.

Secondly, the BMW alarm no longer has a key fob but automatically arms itself and cannot be switched off. (I believe it can be turned off under the seat). I don't own an LC but I'm guessing putting a heavy cover on the bike, removing same or parking covered in the wind will be a pain. Perhaps a new owner with alarm would care to clarify for us?

But hey! What a SUPERB BIKE !
I hate it when manufaturers of vehicles make their products do things automatically without our consent. It's becoming more and more common. Last thing I noticed was a taxi locking all doors automatically as soon as we went off. I don't like the ideaa of being locked in a taxi (or any car, for that matter) at all. I want to be able to get out whenever I feel like it, and especially if we have an accident. And what if we're unconscious, a fire breaks, and people try to open the doors to pull us out?

As for the LC's alarm, this is stupid. What if I want to work on the bike, sit on it for some reason move it around? Will I have to turn the ignition on, or the engine? And I would be concerned with the drain on the battery if the alarm stays on for any length of time. Say, 3 weeks of vacation overseas.

A lot of new vehicles have various functions controlled by the ECU. They can be changed to suit. I have experienced a new vehicle where the Dealer has put what they consider to be the best settings for door locking etc in the ECU before delivery. It's worth asking the dealer what can be changed.

A lot of new vehicles have various functions controlled by the ECU. They can be changed to suit. I have experienced a new vehicle where the Dealer has put what they consider to be the best settings for door locking etc in the ECU before delivery. It's worth asking the dealer what can be changed.
That's a good idea. But, it there doesn't even exist a remote control for the alarm, it might be pointless.

If it can't be turned off it would make ferry crossings etc. interesting!

I am sure it must have that facility?

On my K1600 you go into the menu on the screen to turn it off. Mine is permanently turned off as it is such a weedy noise it would not scare a cat!

On my K1600 you go into the menu on the screen to turn it off. Mine is permanently turned off as it is such a weedy noise it would not scare a cat!

Can you not have the alarm? I didn't on my current GSA as really no need for it, if I move on do I not have the option not to have the alarm?

Can you not have the alarm? I didn't on my current GSA as really no need for it, if I move on do I not have the option not to have the alarm?

For sure the alarm is an option (£205?) and I would buy without

I understand it can be disabled from under the seat, it was not demonstrated so I cannot confirm.

I would rather spend my money on a tracker than an alarm (which is exactly what I have done with my camper van order)

But a lovely bike - red with spoked wheels? OH YES!

Does the new style key not have an integrated button?

Does the new style key not have an integrated button?

Not that I'm aware of - someone one will be along soon to clarify hopefully.

I've bought my camper van without an alarm, you can just imagine what an alarm playing silly buggers on a campsite at night would do for your popularity rating :blast

"If you want it, Sir, then you must have it " (Duncan Bell, Vines of Guildford)

I do apologise - I can only go on information I am given.......

The alarm can be disabled from the settings menu (allegedly)

And the alarm does not come with a key fob but one can be ordered as an extra (price unknown)

I guess that should help

I hope someone who actually has one will confirm this soon !

And the alarm does not come with a key fob but one can be ordered as an extra (price unknown)

I guess that should help

Thank you. That sounds a bit more reasonable, though not as convenient as a remote. What is it with this modern trend that things must be «On», or options checked as «Yes», until one has to uncheck, disarm and what not? It should be the other way around. Let ME decide.

I guess that should help

BMW will relieve you of £20 if you want the fob. It's a piss take.

They seem to be going the same way as there cars you have to pay extra for almost everything! People will pay it though.

Like the handguards available as options only. Pretty soon they will sell the seat as an option.

The low seat is free if you spec it with the bike BUT if you want the high seat, you have to pay extra for it :confused: work that one out. Maybe the BMW accountants are all short-arses?

The low seat is free if you spec it with the bike BUT if you want the high seat, you have to pay extra for it :confused: work that one out. Maybe the BMW accountants are all short-arses?

Paul coming from this short arse, I've spec d it with the bike and getting charged for it:blast:flag

Back
Top Bottom