What tyres has everyone got and any comments?

Black Dog

Reaction score
I am expecting delivery of my new LC next week:fnikefork

On my test ride I lost the back end a couple of times when I was expecting more grip. I run Roadsmart II's on my TC and they stick like the proverbial in all conditions.

There doesn't seem to be any road focussed tyres available for the new rim sizes as yet.

Anakee, Tourance Next and Continental all claim to be OE suppliers so is it a lottery on tyres?

Which is best on the LC?

Mine has Next. Just got the bike this morning, so not had a chance to test them properly, but will report back if there's any issues.:thumb All my other GS's had Anakees, so this will be a good test.

I am expecting delivery of my new LC next week:fnikefork

On my test ride I lost the back end a couple of times when I was expecting more grip. I run Roadsmart II's on my TC and they stick like the proverbial in all conditions.

There doesn't seem to be any road focussed tyres available for the new rim sizes as yet.

Anakee, Tourance Next and Continental all claim to be OE suppliers so is it a lottery on tyres?

Which is best on the LC?
You had a couple of back end slides but you don't tell us what tyres were fitted? Naughty.

Also, did you have ASC on?

I didn't know Continental had tyres in the LS's sizes. Are you positive on that? So far, I know of Metzeler Tourance Next (probably fitted on most LCs at the factory) and Michelin Anakee (which my dealer carries.) But Continental? And what type of tyres would they be?

I should've looked myself but mentioned it to Dealer and said he thought it had Conti's. I checked the TPC which was showing 2.7-2.8 front and 3.2 - 3.3 rear.

Again questioned this with dealer as I thought was too high. I usually run ~ 2.2 front 2.5 - 2.7 rear with Roadsmarts. He said he thought it was right but would check with service department and have them look at it.

My first slide was the biggest and happened as I was overtaking on a downhill left hand bend. It was a little damp in places (under trees) but I wasn't prepared for the slide because I am sure my TC would've been planted.

Good news is the traction control is just sublime.

It's like having Mike Hailwood sitting on your shoulder. Before I could react in what was a life threatening situation, the power was manipulated very smoothly to get both my wheels pointing in the same direction. It wasn't spluttery like my current mark 3. Really impressive.

I know I should've actually looked at the make of tyres on the test bike but there was so much to take in I forgot. :blast

Sorry, but hope this helps.

Oh, and link to Conti info: http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/continental/57188

I should've looked myself but mentioned it to Dealer and said he thought it had Conti's. I checked the TPC which was showing 2.7-2.8 front and 3.2 - 3.3 rear.

Again questioned this with dealer as I thought was too high. I usually run ~ 2.2 front 2.5 - 2.7 rear with Roadsmarts. He said he thought it was right but would check with service department and have them look at it.

My first slide was the biggest and happened as I was overtaking on a downhill left hand bend. It was a little damp in places (under trees) but I wasn't prepared for the slide because I am sure my TC would've been planted.

Good news is the traction control is just sublime.

It's like having Mike Hailwood sitting on your shoulder. Before I could react in what was a life threatening situation, the power was manipulated very smoothly to get both my wheels pointing in the same direction. It wasn't spluttery like my current mark 3. Really impressive.

I know I should've actually looked at the make of tyres on the test bike but there was so much to take in I forgot. :blast

Sorry, but hope this helps.

Oh, and link to Conti info: http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/continental/57188
Sure helps. Thank you. And you're right, Continental do seem to make Trail Attacks in the GS LC's dimensions. In terms of wet grip, I never found any better than Michelin PR3 for sport-touring, and Dunlop TR91 for «Gellände-Strasse.» But I'm looking forward to test the new Tourance Next that will probably be fitted on my new GS.

im suspecting they were black and round with a funny pattern on them:hide

Tourance Next's on mine - would have gone for conti's if.... there had been a choice but these Next's seem to be OK. Been out in the wet today..

Never been a big fan of metz's but the last ones I had we're ME99's!

I didn't really get the opportunity to get my slide rule out, but it proper stepped out enough to really focus my attention. I was in dynamic mode if that helps.

so damp road in dynamic mode :blast seems BMW wasted there time with the road and rain modes then :augie

so damp road in dynamic mode :blast seems BMW wasted there time with the road and rain modes then :augie

Absolutely not.... Went into rain mode today ... 100% confident. Road dried.... switched to road and still 100% confident I could wind it on. Technology helps..

Oh and that's....... their..... time...!

I know.... I'm going....too! :augie

I disagree. I think that the lack of grip was a tyre / surface thing.

I suspect that that it let the back slide a bit because in Dynamic mode the traction comes in later as I understand it. Once I got over the initial fright it was comforting to know that the system works so smoothly.

It is a major upgrade over the Mark 3.

I guess if I had been in road mode the traction would have cut-in earlier saving some anxiety.

Absolutely not.... Went into rain mode today ... 100% confident. Road dried.... switched to road and still 100% confident I could wind it on. Technology helps..

Oh and that's....... their..... time...!

I know.... I'm going....too! :augie

Oh FFS, I have heard it all now

Back
Top Bottom