A Spanish Convert.

neil p

Reaction score
Giant Tonti scooter....magic carpet....Lazy man´s moto.

Always makes me smile.:bounce1

p1010724r.jpg
[/IMG]

The sidestand parking brake alone is enough to raise a smile. Brings back memories, mostly happy. Enjoy!

I would love a go on one of these as I have read so much about how relaxed they are to ride.:D

Particularly the first time you roll off the throttle, that big twin drops towards idle, and you stuff it into a bend to discover they have all the engine braking of an elsie. Thank Tonti for decent handling and folding footboards.

And they stand up nicely out of tight left handers if you give it a bit of a handful (but not so clever if going right). The joys of torque converter slip.

Very relaxed if you're relaxing, and lots of grin-inducing character. But they won't wheelie or bump start (one of these matters more than the other with Italian electrics).

As above. Plus you only blip the throttle once when stopped before your brain catches up with what's happening.
Traffic lights are fun in town especially when there's another bike alongside and you set off with your left hand on the seat and keep it there. Always results in a wtf?

That looks lovely :)

I'd love to have a blat on one some day.............also, years ago, it seemed quite the thing to do to junk the auto boxes for a manual one. What was all that about, my understanding is that the auto boxes are pretty reliable :nenau

Andres

That looks lovely :)

I'd love to have a blat on one some day.............also, years ago, it seemed quite the thing to do to junk the auto boxes for a manual one. What was all that about, my understanding is that the auto boxes are pretty reliable :nenau

Andres

Only thing I had go wrong (with the transmission) was the ATF pump drive key rounded and caused the fluid in the converter to boil (stops circulating through the cooler) and the bike to grind to a halt. New drive key (couple of quid and a bit of spanner work) and new ATF (it's a consumable anyway) and all was well again. Oh, and the wet clutch was pretty ineffectual when changing between the two gears, I suspect it didn't release because there was enough converter slip that the plates weren't encouraged to let go of each other (it would let go at a standstill if I blipped the throttle against the brakes). But that didn't matter, and it would probably have clonked like a BMW anyway...

I'd guess people made the change because a litre bike (well, 950cc) that does 99mph flat out isn't to everyone's taste?

"The sidestand parking brake alone is enough to raise a smile."

What's that then?

"The sidestand parking brake alone is enough to raise a smile."

What's that then?

The sidestand moves (allowing the bike to lean a little further) when you lean the bike on it. This causes a little tongue on the sidestand to push on a thingy (technical term) that pulls a cable that actuates an extra cable-operated calliper on the back disk. All so you can park the bike on a hill without it rolling away and falling off the sidestand (since you can't leave it in gear).

Smiling yet?

when you lean the bike on it. This causes a little tongue on the sidestand to push on a thingy (technical term) that pulls a doflop that works a whatsitsname on the back disk.

We need more explanations like this. makes perfect sense :D

Back
Top Bottom