The man in the doorway

Surprised he did not come on a Fish Dash...

He kept people at a distance. Anyone who offered help or approached him out of the blue – care workers, priests or locals – could either get a gruff “thank you”, or else get drowned in a hail of expletives.

Although it might be a sad tale I found this a positive & touching story.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/i-th...ht-us-about-the-need-for-compassion-1.1325096

No politicians at his funeral but what need of them had he?

Reminds me of when i was a lad there was a guy of similar circumstances, in the local town where we hung out at weekends, he always seemed to appear at nights when us exuberant youths were spilling out of the local establishments to watch from a distance as we ate/spilled half of our food from the chipper or the fried chicken takeaway, only approaching the litter bins when we were at a safe distance he would rummage through the bins for uneaten morsels, He was a solitary reclusive person and the locals respected his wishes, although it was known for most of us to leave a full unopened chip or some other foodstuff on top of the bin when you had a few bob extra, it was said he had been an academic & who knows what led to his misfortune, unfortunately one harsh winter he was found frozen under a caravan in the local caravan park where he slept, this story reminded me of him and days gone by. RIP

Surprised he did not come on a Fish Dash...

He kept people at a distance. Anyone who offered help or approached him out of the blue – care workers, priests or locals – could either get a gruff “thank you”, or else get drowned in a hail of expletives.

That could be Jockser or Aidan! :eek :D:D

There is a a lot to think about for us well off dudes. I have great admiration for the people in Simon / Trust / SVDP - completely selfless. No posing or vote-getting, just helping others as best they can.

There is a a lot to think about for us well off dudes. I have great admiration for the people in Simon / Trust / SVDP - completely selfless. No posing or vote-getting, just helping others as best they can.

reminds me also of when i worked & lived in Cork there used to be an old guy who hung out at the bottom of McCurtain St/Summerhill, he got to know us coming & going from the digs & at weekends when we would go for a few jars around town, one night while we stood outside the Shelborne having a smoke he spied us and came over to greet us & probably see what the chances of a few Euro was like, as we were talking one of the staff came out & gave out to him for pestering us (so he thought) ,well the oul fella started on him & called him all the Langers & other expletives that only those "Cork Wan's" understand, a complete putdown & turnaround, Needless to say he went down the street with his pockets bulging with spare change after all the lads dug deep for the roasting he gave yer man & the evenings entertainment :aidan

That's a sad but lovely story, maybe now that his name and photo have been in the paper and on the internet someone might know more about him

Back
Top Bottom