Bike won't start after gearbox rebuild

DCoplin

Reaction score
Just finished putting my bike ('93 R100GSPD) back together after getting the gearbox rebuilt. I also replaced the clutch friction plate and the spring.

I've got everything where it should be and when I try to start I just get a very loud "click", the engine doesn't turnover at all. :(

Now I know what you're thinking, it's the battery right? Well, I don't think so, I've tried bump starting it (knackered now) and jump starting it of my LandRover, same result. Anyhow the headlight is pretty bright so I don't think that's the cause.

To me it's likely to be something I've cocked up, the gearbox was professionally rebuilt so that's least likely to be the culprit, the clutch seems to work OK, (as far as I can tell without the engine running).

So now I'm down to the flywheel, only thing there is a) I didn't touch it during the whole process, just left it bolted in place when I took the clutch plates off and b) if I put the bike in 5th gear and turn the back wheel by hand, I can get the engine through a full cycle.

Of course it could be the starter motor but I'm guessing that would have to be a massive co-incidence as I've not been near it and it was working fine before I started this whole gearbox nightmare.

Obviously I'm getting desperate now and am starting to get seriously worried as the 1150 Adventure in my local BMW shop is beginning to look really attractive...

I've got everything where it should be

you'd like to think, anyway. :confused:

is the clicking from the solenoid on tp of the starter or is it a metallic 'cling' as the starter throws in - but doesn't turn ?

are you sure all the wires to/from the starter are "where they should be" ?

Probably either faulty cable/connections pos or earth.

Neutral switch?

Or as you suspect, starter/solonoid. possibly solonoid wire

don't give up hope yet, it will be something really simple (hopefully)

Tim

motomartin said:
I've got everything where it should be

is the clicking from the solenoid on tp of the starter or is it a metallic 'cling' as the starter throws in - but doesn't turn ?

It's definately a 'cling'.

Am checking the wires now....

Wires all seem to be OK. Have looked into it a little further so took the tank off and the top engine cover (black bit with big BMW letters on).

The noise is definately generated by the starter motor cog hitting the flywheel, it's like the teeth aren't engaging. There's a small gap between the starter motor and the crankcase and I manged to squeeze a screwdriver blade there and could move the flywheel so perhaps it's the alignment of the starter motor??

Don't see why this should have changed as I haven't touched this at all :confused:

Anyhow, have brought the Clymer manual in for some bed time reading, maybe inspiration will come overnight...

DCoplin said:

I've got everything where it should be :(

sorry, but you obviously haven't . -------------------------

how can we possibly give advice when you could have done any number of things wrong - i know i'm not being very helpful, but this is different to a problem happening when a bike is running.

Re check the large res wire from the battery to the starter motor. Also the large black witre from the battery to the gearbox. I suspect some reistance in teh circuit is not letting enough current through to the starter motor... where ever the resistance is it will be getting very hot.

You may need to take some voltage readings - that could help identify the problem. If it turns over using the rear wheel then it should turn over using the starter. You have not left anything in there?!

DCoplin

You're absolutely right. That 1150 is just what you want. Your 100GSPD is obviously at the end of it's life - sell it to me.

30 minutes work to fix it - anybody want to come and ride out with me on Saturday on my new bike?

But seriously... where in the world are you? I'm sure that a local GSer can come and work it through with you in a couple of hours - got to be worth a few beers and a back-slap. If you're around the Northwest - just ask.

Simon

Re: Re: Bike won't start after gearbox rebuild

Steptoe said:
how can we possibly give advice when you could have done any number of things wrong - i know i'm not being very helpful,
Hmmm, I think understand the sentiment, but isn't this forum about advice on how to find as well as how to fix? I was just looking for some pointers to get me started and that's exactly what I got and now the problem's fixed.

Steptoe said:
but this is different to a problem happening when a bike is running.
Thanks man, I'll make sure the bike is running next time I ask for help on getting the bike running :D

Anyhow, I appreciate all the help. I slept on it last night and went to it fresh this morning and found a dodgy connection between battery and starter motor... After a considerable amount of swaering for missing it last night then sorted it and it fired up first time.

Thanks for the offer sorebums but that Adventure's now returned to looking expensive and unnattractive. I'm in Holland so as much as I'd like the idea of the beers (regardless of the bike problem) it's a bit of a trek.

Dave

timolgra said:
Probably either faulty cable/connections pos or earth.

Neutral switch?

Or as you suspect, starter/solonoid. possibly solonoid wire

don't give up hope yet, it will be something really simple (hopefully)

Tim

:D :D :D There you go then, that didn't hurt did it:D :D :D

Don't worry we've all been there:)

Dave

I'm in Holland so as much as I'd like the idea of the beers (regardless of the bike problem) it's a bit of a trek.

That's ok - we'll see you at the GS Rally in Holland next Easter. Are you going? Make yourself known!

Simon

Back
Top Bottom