Swiss Mike

Reaction score
Can anybody please tell me what the difference is between a new
Triumph Bonneville and Bonneville T.T. is

Thanks

Can anybody please tell me what the difference is between a new
Triumph Bonneville and Bonneville T.T. is

Thanks

I take it you mean T100 Bonneville and Thruxton models??

OR

Pre Hinckley models
The Bonneville TT has no lights and no silencers fitted and looks like a American model from the 60's
So no going out after dark and not road legal

Quick Google to show pictures

When i look at the Triumph web site they list,

A Bonneville and a Bonneville T100

But they look the same :nenau

Alloy wheels/ wheel sizes/ silencers/ seat/mudguards and price seem to be the only differences from the website :thumby:

I have not seen specs recently but the T100 used to have knee grip things on the tank and a tacho, whereas the standard Bonnie did not. The T100 came in better colours, too, I think.

When i look at the Triumph web site they list,

A Bonneville and a Bonneville T100

But they look the same :nenau

The 'Bonneville' listed now used to be known as the SE. It has 17 inch alloy wheels rather than the T100's spoked 19/17 combination

The Bonneville or SE is a fait bit lower for the shorter of leg. There are other differences as well which you will see if you open the specification drop down menus on the Bonneville page :thumby:

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/range/classics/bonneville

Looking at the pics on the triumph site it looks like the standard bonny has the cast wheels from the old se a shorter rear mud guard and a transfer style tank badge, and reverse cone style exhausts. It also has black engine cases.
The T100 is the blinged up version with chrome engine cases, toga style silencers, and twin dials speedo and rev counter.
the range used to be basic bonny, se then T100.
Seems like they have combinned the se and basic bonny into one bike option.

The simple way is to think of it like this:

If you like 60's stuff then go for the T100 or if you prefer the 70's style then it's the Bonneville (SE) :thumby:

The T100 has very nice M bars with retro grips - makes it feel completely different. You just have to sit on them side by side to appreciate it.

Quite fancy a Bonneville though still to have a test ride. Lighter than the GS, happy to bumble about the roads up here, happy to tour on a smaller bike as I've no great desire to do 400 + mile days any more so a numb arse that makes me stop every couple of hours is fine.

Read about fuelling issues etc. Has there been any change to the bikes that has improved it in recent years - as in, don't get older than 3 or 5 years or whatever? Or is a new one just the same as a 5 year old technically?

They seem to hold their value quite well, looks like 5 to 6k for 3 or 4 years old, not a huge discount on new unless it has all the extras on it

Must have extras? Screen and carrier I would like but exhausts needed? Make a big difference? New suspension needed?

Cheers

Quite fancy a Bonneville though still to have a test ride. Lighter than the GS, happy to bumble about the roads up here, happy to tour on a smaller bike as I've no great desire to do 400 + mile days any more so a numb arse that makes me stop every couple of hours is fine.

Perfect bike for bumbling around on, I bought mine for the exact same reason and not been disappointed at all.

Read about fuelling issues etc. Has there been any change to the bikes that has improved it in recent years - as in, don't get older than 3 or 5 years or whatever? Or is a new one just the same as a 5 year old technically?

The biggest change was the switch from carbs to injection in about 2008, when all the engines went to 865cc, Bonnie was 790cc before. Some prefer carbs, but mine's new with injection and runs fine.

They seem to hold their value quite well, looks like 5 to 6k for 3 or 4 years old, not a huge discount on new unless it has all the extras on it.

There seems to be variations in price, but like you say, they do seem to hold their value. I got a left over 2013 basic model and did get a good deal on it.

Must have extras? Screen and carrier I would like but exhausts needed? Make a big difference? New suspension needed?

I think everyone's must haves are different, depending on what you want to do with the bike. I've done a lot with mine, not necessarily essentials, but because I had a picture in my head of what I wanted to do with it. I think the suspension is well worth doing, I have Racetech springs and emulators in the forks (really nice), and Hagon 2810 shocks (good, but could be better) at the rear. I also have Beringer floating disc and 4 piston caliper at the front (nice, but not essential), also have the Arrow 2-1 , just because I liked the look of it, plus a whole list of other bits and bobs. It is one of those bikes that encourages you to tinker and make it yours. Most bits don't need changing as they're not bad, you just do because you want to, but for me the brakes and suspension were top of the list followed by the exhaust. I've resisted a screen because I haven't seen one I think looks good on the bike, so limit cruising to around 75-80 which is ample really, if I want to go faster then I've other bikes for that, it's not what the Bonnie's about.

Cheers

-----

Cheers for that. Had a ride on one in Perth on Sunday, I wouldn't buy that particular one but nice bike. Getting straight off the GS at the garage it looked and felt tiny but went nicely, like the engine. Handling was fine for the short distance I went, seat a bit of a plank, noise badly missing! So I think it needs pipes, maybe a new seat, screen would be nice, centre stand cause I'm used to having one, carrier on the back. And nice to push such a lightweight about for a change

Now looking, GS probably going for sale soon, time for a change I think

I always felt they gave a feeling of "dragging their arse" then I rode one with 1" longer ikon shocks and it transformed the bike for me.

One of the guys I used to work with had one with the short Norman Hyde rear mudguard,longer shocks and louder silencers. It looked and sounded great for the mods.

I always felt they gave a feeling of "dragging their arse" then I rode one with 1" longer ikon shocks and it transformed the bike for me.

One of the guys I used to work with had one with the short Norman Hyde rear mudguard,longer shocks and louder silencers. It looked and sounded great for the mods.

I can understand the shocks and the noise bits, bit like putting Koni's or Girlings on 30 years ago along with a pair of Dunstalls. Have to say it did feel like a wee bit more weight on the front would be better, I thought it must have been just me on a new bike, the front wheel definitely felt light

Mine's the basic model, so has the 17" front wheel rather than the 19" spoked wheel of the T100 so didn't feel like that, but I also had the Hagon shocks made 1/2" longer than standard when I changed them and with stiffer springs / re-valve at the front it handles really nicely now. :D

Well I've got one, a really tidy T100 with 3000 miles on it and never been out in the rain I reckon :eek:

It's got the louder pipes which sound great plus a Triumph screen, jury still out on that, its fine up to 70 but buffeting after that. Also got crash bars and carrier (and original pipes and a centre stand in a box).

I suspect I'll do something with the suspension, front end especially so any suggestions welcome, just feels a bit light. The brakes could be improved so as mentioned above, maybe an upgrade coming.

Luggage? I'm thinking of getting some soft panniers, maybe Ortliebs or Wolfmans (or if the wife isn't looking Magadans). And a tank bag but its such a wee tank to put one on after the GS that I'm not sure what - any ideas?

But it goes really nicely, sounds great, is a real blast to be out on. No regrets at all, hope to enjoy for many miles :thumb2

I suspect I'll do something with the suspension, front end especially so any suggestions welcome, just feels a bit light. The brakes could be improved so as mentioned above, maybe an upgrade coming.

I can definitely recommend Race Tech Springs and Gold Valve Emulators. Really pleased with the results on mine and this is the third bike I've had their kit installed in. I boxed my forks up and sent them to Ryan at Shock Tech who did a cracking job and turned them round pretty quick as well. No connection, just well pleased with his work and service.

Back
Top Bottom