Inland Portugal?

Roberto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any good sights or towns visit 'inland' in Portugal? I've visited Braganca a couple of times, other than that I've worked my way along the coast and the Algarve.

Any pointers welcome..

Cheers,
Rob :thumby:

Vila Nova de Foz Côa, pre-historic art work there, and the story how it was found is interesting.
Anywhere up the Douro Valley, wine producing companies with 'Quinta' visits possible, processing tours and tasting sessions available.
Penedono, medieval village festival.
Minas Sao Domingos, industrial/mining site, one of Europe's most poisonous places, but colours of the spoil heaps and water pools are amazing.

Coimbra, beautiful medieval University town built on a hill along a river, great sights and history. Apparently the oldest Uni in Portugal if not Europe. my daughter did 6 months at Uni there and we visited several times and loved it. Further south Sintra is truly amazing with a fairy tale castle area that is so unusual and interesting, google both and you will see the interest.
Both well worth a visit.

Gentlemen, that's grand.. thank you both :thumb2

Another quick little bump in case anyone has any other gems to mention out there.

Packing begins now :JB

Can anyone recommend any good sights or towns visit 'inland' in Portugal? I've visited Braganca a couple of times, other than that I've worked my way along the coast and the Algarve.

Any pointers welcome..

Cheers,
Rob :thumby:

Hi there

Tell me what you would like to do and I'll give you an exhaustive list of pointers. All you need is to name it :). I am originally from Portugal and some of my friends do offroad there.
You have lots of options: green lanes, sand, beaches, mountain, fast corners, mountain hills, urban...

Cheers

Oliviera do Hospital and the surrounding Serra Estrella, including the 1993m Torre, highest peak in Portugal and driveable right to the top on tarmac. Take the road from Seia over to Covilha and try the road to Pomares -great swimming oportunity there in the river too, right in the village centre with cafe and bar.

Monchique is a nice little town to visit. Up in the hills it's a great place to go to get away from the oppresive heat of the Algarve in the summer. A cracking ride through fragrant pine forests to get there too. :thumb2

From my ride report 'M'off again ... Portugal' last year Rob

We found our way into the tourist area of the Sierra da Estrela we found the Hotel Berne at Manteigas (www.hotelberne.com) lovely warm welcome. We expected maybe 80 or 90 euro's for the night but at €55.00 for a double room with breakfast we grabbed it for two nights so as to have a day exploring.

Hope this helps ol' luv :thumb2

:beerjug:

smugshot_1805380-L.jpg

Noted...as I might be due a hot shower by that part of this month's trip!:thumby:

Swimming pool, good food and bier :thumb2
Mum & dad started the hotel 20 - 30 years ago. They now do the cooking, their two sons run the hotel. Excellent English spoken .... good place.

Good luck :beerjug:

Thanks kindly folks, much appreciated :thumby:

Inland, off the tourist areas is surprisingly economical in Portugal, would love to do it again :thumb

Trip report:
http://www.ebbo.org/portugal&spain-01.php

:clap Thanks ebbo for a great write up, I've just read all of it whilst whiling away a rainy afternoon here in the Algarve.
My wife and I have rented a place for 12 months and have been over for a week each month since October. Planning on riding down in June and leaving the GSA here until September. Will definitely plan in some of your route. :beerjug:

Cheers, your very welcome, makes you want to leap on your bike and go exploring doesn't it :thumb2

Cheers, your very welcome, makes you want to leap on your bike and go exploring doesn't it :thumb2

Hi Ebbo, have you stopped touring now? I have used your past touring routes when planning my routes abroad as a loose model ( honest) and have proved brilliant, with some variation of course in a bid to say to my mates that I planned the route lol.I have indeed enjoyed reading your exploits with your mates, great write ups. :beer:

Last edited:
No, not stopped touring, two great trips last year. TBH I struggle to write them up these days, sorry. Big trip to America in eight weeks time, you never know...

Miranda del Duoro... be ignored in the "Bar des Bombieros" adored in the "Benfica Club Bar" and enjoy a canyon cruise in the blistering heat of the afternoon with sherry afterwards....

:friday

Miranda del Duoro... be ignored in the "Bar des Bombieros" adored in the "Benfica Club Bar" and enjoy a canyon cruise in the blistering heat of the afternoon with sherry afterwards....

:friday

This I feel merits investigation..

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom