RobertG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A European virgin needs your help
r1200gs_show_model-L.jpg

OK, so really more like this
super-fat-man-on-a-scooter.jpg

Anyways...

I am off the Swiss Alps for the first time. Having only ever seen the Alps from the top of Geneva airport, I have wimped out and booked an organised tour for the alpine part of the trip, so that bit is settled.

However, I do have to get there and back and I have fixed dates at both ends.

I have 4 days to get from Dublin to Munich on the way out.

I am looking at stops somewhere around
Holyhead 11AM start
Night 1: Maidstone
Night 2: Maastricht
Night 3: Nuremberg
Night 4: Munich

Something like this http://goo.gl/maps/5Uyn1

On the way back I have 4 1/2 days (ferry is at 2PM on last day)
I am looking at
Munich 11AM start
Night 1: Basel
Night 2: Saint-Quentin
Night 3: Chichester
Night 4: West of Brecon
2PM Pembroke and Ferry back to the land of saints and scholars.

Something like this http://goo.gl/maps/JsStF

Any general wisdom on the routes would be appreciated. The Google maps are just my first rough cut while I punish myself learning Basecamp. I think the distances are about what I am comfortable covering daily. I am mentally allowing for the Google map times plus about 50% as the total commute time.

More specifically have you recommendations for

- Bike friendly hotels near the proposed stops
- Roads to make sure I don't miss along the way
- Roads to make sure I DO miss along the way
- Places to see, things to do along the route that you will laugh at me for missing

For example I think I will route near the Nurburgring. Would you drag a fully loaded GS around the track just for the hell of it?

Hi Robert
Why would you go through the Uk wouldn't you consider the Irish ferries crossing from Rosslare its a great crossing and a nice route to Munich.

Robert,

If you're staying in Maastricht and heading down towards the Nurburgring I can recommend picking up the road from Eupen that heads down the the B258, which is a joy to ride and a memorable introduction to Germany. Monschau is a very nice place to stop and the 258 will take you all the way down to Nurburg.

Opening times vary for the Nurburgring and it may not be open when you plan to call in, but it is an interesting place to stop for a drink (where the entry to the track is for track users rather than the disneyland main stand bit they've put up). You can go round on a GS, hell there are family cars even coaches and caravans out there too. There are some good sites out there with tips on what to look out for without clogging up this post.

Have a great trip!

Hi Robert
Why would you go through the Uk wouldn't you consider the Irish ferries crossing from Rosslare its a great crossing and a nice route to Munich.

Want to see a buddy on the way through the UK going out and coming back, to meet work committments, I would have to do Munich to the Cherbourg in 2 days which I don't fancy after a week in the Alps.

Robert,

If you're staying in Maastricht and heading down towards the Nurburgring I can recommend picking up the road from Eupen that heads down the the B258, which is a joy to ride and a memorable introduction to Germany. Monschau is a very nice place to stop and the 258 will take you all the way down to Nurburg.

Excellent. Thanks.

Robert,
Opening times vary for the Nurburgring and it may not be open when you plan to call in,...
There are some good sites out there with tips on what to look out for without clogging up this post.

Like this one... The worst possible Nurburgring advice... Excellent!

That's the plan. Lunch at Nurburgring and dinner in Nuremburg!

If you are happy blatting across autobahns and want to see both places OK.

On the basis of good biking roads I would look to skirt France/Belgium to Luxembourg, drop down through the Black Forest before heading east over to Munich.

If it was me I'd get over te channel and then stop over.... Much more like the holiday has started proper.. Much nicer places to stay and probably cheaper....

;)

Rob,
not picking but are you sure, they're 400 kM appart :blagblah

I will be pretty much passing it enroute from Maastrict anyway. It is one of those feelings I have that if it is open and there to be done then it probably has to be done!

Nurnburg and Munich are about 160km (100m) apart and doable in about 1.5hrs on the autobahn if you are in a hurry.

Nurnburg is lovely and well worth a wander if you have time, I can't really recommend nurnburg hotels as I stay in the holiday inn which is on the outer side of town and not really in walking distance of the town.

I am a regular visitor to Munich but tend to stay in Dachau as Munich is expensive I prefer the hotel Fischer but usually use the hotel central as the Fischer is usually full (at short notice), another I like is hotel goetz as this is a really nice family place but a bit further from the train station. The central and goetz have garages but I am not sure about the Fischer.

Fischer and central are very close to the train station where you can jump on the S-Bahn into Munich for a couple of euros in about 20 minutes. Get yourself into Marionplatz, it's where the glockenspiel and the Ratskeller are for some traditional Bavarian cuisine (you must try pork knuckle or schweinshaxe) and especially the beer helles is more like normal lager and weisbier is the cloudy stuff that is well worth a go.

There will be others who will tell you it's touristy but that's what you are.

Going into Switzerland you then have to go south east, my advise would be to head to friedrichshaven and get the ferry into Switzerland across lake Konstance into Romanshorn. Friedrichshaven is a seaside type town that is worth a look around but may prove expensive.

If it was me I'd get over te channel and then stop over.... Much more like the holiday has started proper.. Much nicer places to stay and probably cheaper....

;)

I take your point, but that would be a 400 mile day starting at 11.00AM and ending with Tunnel ride. Has anybody done that run? Also probably hits the M25 approaching rush hour. Thoughts anyone?

On the basis of good biking roads I would look to skirt France/Belgium to Luxembourg, drop down through the Black Forest before heading east over to Munich.

So taking both the above into account a route would look like this
http://goo.gl/maps/QMfl8

If I can do day 1 I can probably manage the rest.

I am a regular visitor to Munich but tend to stay in Dachau as Munich is expensive I prefer the hotel Fischer but usually use the hotel central as the Fischer is usually full (at short notice), another I like is hotel goetz as this is a really nice family place but a bit further from the train station. The central and goetz have garages but I am not sure about the Fischer.

Fantastic advice. Thank you. Dachau sounds like a real option.

Back
Top Bottom