Basecamp Tutorials

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just starting out to try to use BaseCamp to do some route planning etc etc.

I could really do with some basic tutorial advice on how to do the basic stuff. Garmin's video tutorials are rubbish and are more adverts about how clever they are, than actually giving new starters step-by-step instructions on how to do things.

How different is BC to Mapsource? Because I see that there are 'stickys' giving guidance on creating routes etc etc for Mapsource. But nothing for BaseCamp.

I tried importing a route from ViaMichelin which I exported as a GPX file, but all that appeared on BaseCamp was a waypoint for the start and one for the finish. No sign of the route!!

I then tried downloading some touring routes from a German m'biking magazine, again as GPX files. Plenty of waypoints appeared, although most were not actually located on a road or a junction! And the waypoints were joined by straight lines, rather than a route that followed the roads.

So, any help (by way of tutorials or step-by-step instructions) would be really appreciated.

I have the bloody thing, so would really like to use it. But I am becoming more & more frustrated with Garmin

I prepared a tutorial some time back, it was something of a rushed response so isn't that polished production wise. However, it should get some of the basic points of how I do route plotting using Basecamp. Basecamp has evolved a little since then but it's all still pretty relevant. The techniques of other users may well vary from mine and get similar results.

There's also one on using Google Earth to check out your routes at street level.

And another on setting up Basecamp and a Zumo 660 so as to give more neutral routing.

Suffice to say I'm still an advocate of Garmin GPS for bike use and, although initially reluctant, a satisfied Basecamp user (but with a few reservations, some work is required to enhance it further, i.e. the search function).

HTH

Those are excellent demo's Bumpkin. How dod you record the screen demo's ?

Back
Top Bottom