Using a pre-set route

tugboat

Reaction score
Hi all, just starting to get to grips with the Montana.

I'm going from Devon to HUBB on a small bike so avoiding the motorways.
I've planned a route in Basecamp and transferred it to the Montana.
I want to follow the route using the onscreen and verbal directions.

If I use 'Where to' and 'HUBB' (waypoint) the Montana calculates it's own route using motorways etc and the 'Go' symbol appears to use that route.

If I use 'Where to' , 'Routes' and 'Home to HUBB' (which is my planned route transferred from Basecamp), it shows a UK map with the waypoints all clustered in a line, but the 'Go' symbol doesn't appear, so I can't figure how to actually get that route active.

Would appreciate some advice as IT stuff is not intuitive for me. Thanks.

I've tried the Montana with both GB Discover and City Nav and the result is just the same.

I tell you, it's hell being a numpty!:nenau

Open up base camp and see what maps you have on the PC without the Montana connected. You can do this by going along the file / edit etc etc commands and finding "Maps"- select "Map Products" and see what's checked. Check that the City Nav version is exactly the same as on your Montana if you don't know how to do it, look here:

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Setup+-+Map

To remove any doubt I've set my on road profiles:

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Setup+-+Profiles

to ONLY show the City Nav mapping.

Oh heck.

When I click on Map, the drop down menu just shows a tick against Global Map!

Where has the map gone that I was using to plan my route? I'm that daft I can't remember how I did it.

I guess I should start from scratch again.

I'm using a MacBook if that makes any difference but I assume that Basecamp looks the same as on a PC?

I appreciate your help John. Is there an idiot's guide somewhere on the net? I do miss having a proper manual to leaf through and keep re-reading until I get things straight.

'Noddy does Garmin' or 'Montana for Numpties' would fit the bill!

Cheers,
Geoff.

OK got it sussed now. My route had too many waypoints. Works alright now I've split it into sections. I hadn't realised only 50 waypoints allowed in a route.

Thank you John, I appreciate your help with the links.

Take care.:thumb2

Another option....If you go to your Montana and 'Settings',after that 'Routing',you can click on 'Avoidance Setup' for what to avoid,i.e.,autoroutes.

Then you can enter the waypoint of the HUBB and it'll take you there by A roads etc.

You can also use the Montana to plot the route to include fuel stops/food etc.

Create Route..Select First Point and then use the Map to zoom in to where you want to go,or your waypoint list,or what ever and click on Use..make a list of places and it'll connect the dots after you click Go.

No need for base camp?

:D

Corp Clinger, sorry, only just seen your post. Have just tried your suggestion and it's brilliant, thanks so much you're a star!
This is a really clever little piece of kit, lots of abilities that I'll probably never suss, just got to keep playing with it.
Another virtual pint coming over to you.
Cheers.:beerjug:

Hi

Yip,great bit of kit for sure...I'm very pleased with mine. I look at it as a travel guide which is full of information.

Glad it worked for you. Personally I only use Basecamp to store routes and trails.

I use the feature I mentioned not very often but it is nice to know that it's there should you need it.

I usually use avoidance more than anything depending on my time frame.

:D

Back
Top Bottom