mucky gear linkage

wessie

Reaction score
Looking at http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum it seems this is fairly common on the S10.

My symptoms were an unco-operative downshift, especially if you wanted to drop 2 gears at a T junction etc. I had one or two comedy moments on a ride in the Cotswolds and Forest of Dean, scaring some cyclists on one occasion as I drifted a little whilst scrabbling for a gear.

Coincidentally, the bike went to SW Superbikes the following day for the 6k service & returned with a perfectly working gear shift plus an advisory to clean/lube the main pivot on the gear shifter more frequently.

So, just a heads up for anyone who starts thinking their gearbox has packed up.

Checked mine this afternoon, with a girly 5k on the clock and no mud-plugging it moves very easily.

Will probably make it an annual winter job along with FD oil and any other odd jobs, probably remove the swing arm next winter as I have heard they are not generously greased from new either.

Still 3 years on from launch and the only common faults seem to be spokes rusting and gear linkages needing a clean, happy with that :thumb

Back
Top Bottom