New Liquid Cooled GS - a few questions?

Matildasdad

Reaction score
Hi.

I have had my new GS for approximately 3 weeks, done about 400 miles steady commuting. It's very good and i am very happy, however there are a couple of things that I wanted to ask before I take it in for its first service.

Has anyone else (who has ridden the new GS) noticed the fan noise, I'm presuming its the fan. It whirs and makes a distinctive noise. It may be completely normal. I regularly ride other types of bikes and have ridden most other bikes and have owened the previous type of GS. The fan seems to kick in from setting off? Is that normal or is it just the air blowing through it forcing it to turn? It doesn't just flick on when the engine gets hot like other bikes when idling at lights on a summer day.however the temp has never got above 86 then it's starts to drop with no noticeable change in the pitch of the fan speed. The whirring is worse at speed especially when riding into a head wind and at times is quite loud. I didn't test a new one so I have only ridden mine with nothing to compare it with.

Is this normal? I was thinking of taking another one out when I go for its service to see what what that sounds like. Mine is the basic spec with just the heated grips and nothing else.

Which brings me to my second point. As there is no electric trickery with the suspicion settings, nor was there with my old one. Does anyone know if there are any special settings for the suspension. There's just the recomended sets in the manual. So can you adjust it by hand so it's sets it for touring or dynamic of comfy etc?

The bikes handles very well on the setting that came from the show room so i have not played with it, should I. I'm going away next month and will be carrying luggage, approx 60 - 70 litres. 60 on the rear and a tank bag. There won't to excessive weight as its just clothes.

Thanks Jon

Hi.

I have had my new GS for approximately 3 weeks, done about 400 miles steady commuting. It's very good and i am very happy, however there are a couple of things that I wanted to ask before I take it in for its first service.

Has anyone else (who has ridden the new GS) noticed the fan noise, I'm presuming its the fan. It whirs and makes a distinctive noise. It may be completely normal. I regularly ride other types of bikes and have ridden most other bikes and have owened the previous type of GS. The fan seems to kick in from setting off? Is that normal or is it just the air blowing through it forcing it to turn? It doesn't just flick on when the engine gets hot like other bikes when idling at lights on a summer day.however the temp has never got above 86 then it's starts to drop with no noticeable change in the pitch of the fan speed. The whirring is worse at speed especially when riding into a head wind and at times is quite loud. I didn't test a new one so I have only ridden mine with nothing to compare it with.

Is this normal? I was thinking of taking another one out when I go for its service to see what what that sounds like. Mine is the basic spec with just the heated grips and nothing else.

Which brings me to my second point. As there is no electric trickery with the suspicion settings, nor was there with my old one. Does anyone know if there are any special settings for the suspension. There's just the recomended sets in the manual. So can you adjust it by hand so it's sets it for touring or dynamic of comfy etc?

The bikes handles very well on the setting that came from the show room so i have not played with it, should I. I'm going away next month and will be carrying luggage, approx 60 - 70 litres. 60 on the rear and a tank bag. There won't to excessive weight as its just clothes.

Thanks Jon

The fan comes on when the 'engine temp' indicates about 99.5C and goes off again when the temp falls by a few degrees - the fan can be heard easily when stationary or trickling along at a few mph - much above that speed I cannot hear it, but I wear ear plugs most of the time.

The manual tell you the default settings for the basic suspension, the manual also tells you what settings to use under a variety of loadings.

I have forgotten the page number but if you can read then use the index :D if you can't read get mate to read it for you.

Not ridden mine very far yet but I have only heard the fan come on once when I was stationery for a while.

Is it not the fan in the headlight unit that is on ? I hear they have on :nenau

Think that's just the bikes with the LED lights which mine doesn't have. I'll check with the dealer when it gets serviced.
Re the manual, as said in the previous blah I read the manual and it read about just two settings. Will have a look for the others.

Back
Top Bottom