would i regret it?

zoot

Reaction score
toying with the idea of chopping the 61plate gsa tb in for either a translap700 or a nc700x have always been a honda fan, any thoughts out there other than the usual, ie dick head etc. etc. first step i think would be a test ride on both.

"would i regret it?"

It's a Honda Of course you would. On top of that you'd be shunned by everyone and ridiculed behind your back. Small children will point in the street and laugh.

464758845_bc1dac6b84.jpg

Thats a shite looking bike. Why not by a V strom 650. They look great.

092812-2012-honda-nc700x.jpg

No-one can honestly answer your question as we all have our own opinions (and prejudices) which are more important that the next persons. Get a test ride on what you fancy as that is the only way you'll really find out.

Ten years ago I test rode both the then-current Transalp and the 1150GS. The Transalp would have done the job, the 1150GS was fun. So I spent lots more money on the BMW that I still enjoy riding.

But it depends what floats your boat.

toying with the idea of chopping the 61plate gsa tb in for either a translap700 or a nc700x have always been a honda fan, any thoughts out there other than the usual, ie dick head etc. etc. first step i think would be a test ride on both.
I take it you're looking at a relatively new one? If so I can't comment on those but do have past experience of them (when they were the 600 & 650 flavours). Therefore another consideration might be to keep the GSA and go for an older Transalp to use as a second bike; there are plenty out there and for around £2.5k would get you a 2004/'05 plate 650...

As-indicated above, I've had a couple in my time, the prefereed on was a 1991 600. Albeit the 21" front wheel makes handling 'interesting'; mind you back then I was commuting 75 miles to Waddington a few times a week so was 'pushing it'. Regardless of that it was a decent bike with great character and the usial excellent Honda finish to the metal & paintwork etc. They are becoming a classic so can only £-appreciate in time :thumb

On eBay at the minute looks to be one worth a look; 1990 XL600V, £895, long tax but MOT's just expired... It's located up your way in Darwen Lancs. Apparently being sold as a p/ex and needs some minor work (''clutch cable, front tyre, possibly a battery'').

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-XL6...1627225?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item232b60ead9

Hi there I had a brand new Transalp 700 cc it was a poor excuse of a bike.
Built in Spain the welding on the frame could only be described as shoddy at best the paint on the frame was crap the spokes were rusty within a month and looked a mess.
I found the Engine lacked grunt at the bottom end where you need it!
I have had 3x VFR's 3x Fireblades's 2x XL500's 2 xTLR250's so I am not a Honda Anti - Christ at all if it is made in Japan! as they were all good bikes!

My Transalp XL700 had the works full Heated grips,panniers,spot lights, but it was sold to a new home within in 3 months as it bored me to death!

Sorry To All That Love Them That's Just My Opinion,They Must have something right or would not have bought it in the first place would I?
Regards To All Chris H

I saw the NXC700 yesterday, I thought it looked good, Have never ridden it but I expect it is quiet and smooth, The salesman is a mate of mine and he quoted 80 miles per gallon, looked like a great commuter if you had a 50 mile plus commute.

I used to own a 700 Transalp and I’m now running a NC700X.

Transalp...My Transalp was built in Spain and it showed. The spokes were particular horrors, corroding to bits in no time. The OE ‘Death Wing’ tyres were easily the worst tyres that I’ve ever experienced in over 40 years of motorcycling. However I have to say that the build quality issue was (for me) the only down side. Despite some people moaning about the lack of a sixth gear, I never found it an issue. The bike felt just fine either pulling from low revs, or thrashing away with the throttle to the stop. Easy to ride with really good fuel consumption. Not the most exciting bike but it would always get the job done. Some might say ‘Boringly reliable’ but I can’t see anything exciting about breaking down.

NC700X....Very similar (Surprise surprise) but as it is made in Japan, the build quality is much better. Built like an R1200GS, but a world away from an R1150GS. You need to ride it like you would drive a diesel car. It is very low revving but pulls like a much bigger engine. You short shift the gears and let the torque pull you along. You either like that sort of engine or you don’t. I do. Really nice handling, with the ‘feel’ of a much bigger bike. You will have read all about he fuel consumption and I can confirm that it is a ‘real world’ over 70 MPG....small fuel tank though which is a shame. The biggest downside that I can see is that it’s dead fiddly to pull apart. The bodywork is a mass of clips and fasteners, making jobs such as changing the air filter, a real pain. On the other hand it has cast wheels with tubeless tyres....easy road side repairs etc. Overall it’s a lot of bike....brand new, five and a half grand, on the road, delivered.

Neither bike could be considered exciting.

Overall, I much prefer the NC700X.....:)

test rode a nc on sat, if i was after a hack then it would fit the bill, as a toy i think it would just sit in the garage. Transalp looking fav.

Zoot,ive got an 11 plate transalp and a GSa.The alp is a brilliant bike and does most things the beemer will do.Less bother on trails and much easier to manage.Totally different ride but really enjoyable.Characterful engine after the anodyne whirrings of most modern middleweights.

Only a test ride will show whether it's the bike for you.
Can't speak for an NC but a Transalp is all but unbreakable, they'll take hideous amounts of use & abuse without complaint then come back for more.....

One thing that would niggle me on the nc is the underpillion seat fuel filler......

The cb500x looks similar & well priced too

If you are looking to go down the middle weight route, why not try the Kawasaki Versys 650 ? Loads more fun than the Hondas with a nice punchy motor and cheap as chips to run with very good economy.

P53100591024x768_zpsf8368a13.jpg

toying with the idea of chopping the 61plate gsa tb in for either a translap700 or a nc700x

You'll lose tons of money and end up with an inferior bike...

Makes perfect sense really :blast :D

Seriously though, if you want/need a lighter bike, there are better options...

The point is, you need to decide what is it that you're actually searching for?

I only test rode a NC700X but it was light steering and the 48 hp seemed adequate. But I didn't really get to test the engine heavily loaded up a grade. I don't like that the seat has to be removed to fill up :eek. What was Honda thinking, that's where many of us strap stuff on. Were it me I would look at a new Wee Strom which offers 70 hp, almost as good mpg, larger and more comfortable, nicer windscreen, optional seats, nicer instruments, 19" front wheel, ABS standard, I think I should mention again 70 hp.

Back
Top Bottom