NTV650 carbs

Buckingham

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys

I bought an NTV650 which has done only 1000 miles in the last 10 years and only 7900 miles from new !
It runs OK up to 60 mph then starts misfiring and won't go any faster. Sometimes speeds up a bit to 70mph with a bit of choke on.

I'm assuming the carbs need a clean out, but any other ideas welcome ;)

Can anyone recommend a place to get carbs ultrasonic-cleaned where they've done a good job ?

Cheers

John

Also the fuel pumps fail, you can see the pump pulse fuel through the filter with the panel off, have you changed the fuel filter?
was fuel left in the carbs?
mine hits 100leptons with a barndoor of a fairing on it
Ray

NTV650

Guys

I'm erring towards a fuel problem - I'm going to bypass the fuel filter to see what happens. Definitely feels like the fuel flow is insufficient to fuel it at high speeds.
Will keep you posted and thanks for all the helpful replies.

Guys

I'm erring towards a fuel problem - I'm going to bypass the fuel filter to see what happens. Definitely feels like the fuel flow is insufficient to fuel it at high speeds.
Will keep you posted and thanks for all the helpful replies.

New fuel filter ordered today.

NTV650

Bugger
I sent the carbs for cleaning & rebuilding. Now it does not misfire but it’s seriously down on power. Gets up to 60 eventually but no more. Only the first quarter of throttle movement seems to be effective.
I’ve taken the air filter out & checked the valve clearances, which were ok.
Changed the plugs & CDI unit too (2nd hand one off eBay)

It’s got plenty of new fuel & good fuel flow to the carbs, fuel pump working fine.
What should I look at next ?

John

Carbs

Hi
Slide Diaphragm's any holes ? (do the slides lift when blowing down the lift hole)
main jets still varnished up ?

NTV650

Well I had the diaphrams out to check before I sent the carbs for ultrasonic cleaning. The looked OK, even when stretched. I'll try blowing to see if they lift.

Hi John. I realise this is an old thread. I have an Ntv650 and mine is doing exactly the same. Did you manage to fix the issue? What was it in the end? Cheers. Bradley

Hi Bradley - yes it's a while back now, but I bought a set of used carbs from a breaker & fitted the slides/ diaphragms to my original carbs that I'd had cleaned- then the bike ran perfectly. Looking at the original slides/diaphragms, I could still not see anything visible wrong with them, but clearly they were faulty. Probably the diaphragms but nothing I could see- coincidentally I sold the carbs for spares/ repairs a couple of weeks ago on eBay !
Good luck with fixing it- suggest you try for a set of used carbs, maybe those from a Deauville650 will fit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diaphragms

If you think it the CV carb diaphragms then get in touch with this company:-

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/motorcycle_carburettor_diaphragms.htm

Used them years ago for new diaphragms for my VF100FF at the time - as is the case with many Honda's the diaphragms are fixed in the slides and have to be in the correct position so slides were sent to NRP and returned ready to fit:thumb

cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

If you think it the CV carb diaphragms then get in touch with this company:-

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/motorcycle_carburettor_diaphragms.htm

Used them years ago for new diaphragms for my VF100FF at the time - as is the case with many Honda's the diaphragms are fixed in the slides and have to be in the correct position so slides were sent to NRP and returned ready to fit:thumb

cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

This company were VERY helpful when we had diaphragm trouble on Mrs Og Suzuki Savage.
I'd highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom