Helmets on planes

ebbo

Reaction score
How do you take your helmet, in the hold or in cabin? we're flying US Airways BTW Heathrow to Las Vegas

Cheers :thumb

In the cabin. Some years ago my wife flew out to the US to meet up with me and had a heck of a time taking her helmet through security at Heathrow. They said it could be used as an offensive weapon (doh!).

Checking US Airways baggage blurb your allowed:

"Carry-on baggage
You're allowed on carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag

Size requirements
Up to 45in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 + 23 + 56 cm)
Up to 40 lbs/18 kg"

So I'll take it as hand luggage... hopefully! :D

Brought lids to and from germany twice as hand luggage without any problems speak to the airline

I usually wear mine,saves the hassle of extra hand luggage.

However on a long haul flight,unless it is a flip up or open face ,you will probably want to remove it at some stage to take in some refreshments.

Checking US Airways baggage blurb your allowed:

"Carry-on baggage
You're allowed on carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag

Size requirements
Up to 45in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 + 23 + 56 cm)
Up to 40 lbs/18 kg"

So I'll take it as hand luggage... hopefully! :D

double check, when I took mine I was also allowed to have an item of headgear, which they mean hat but they didnt say so and I said helmet is item of head gear and they said ok. which was good as I also got to take a carry on bag

double check, when I took mine I was also allowed to have an item of headgear, which they mean hat but they didn't say so and I said helmet is item of head gear and they said ok. which was good as I also got to take a carry on bag
Good point, I've double checked under special items, Hockey helmets, Lacrosse helmets and Baseball helmets are allowed, I guess motorcycle helmets will be ok, I'll wear it to get on if necessary :D

There was a thread on this subject a couple of years ago

Tell them you're a nervous flyer!

I've taken mine as hand luggage a few times with no problems.

We're flying Singapore airlines to Oz in November. I've already asked them about taking a crash helmet. After the exchange of multiple e-mails they said it had to go in the hold. Would not have it in the cabin at all, - and I did try very hard to convince them!

In the cabin. Some years ago my wife flew out to the US to meet up with me and had a heck of a time taking her helmet through security at Heathrow. They said it could be used as an offensive weapon (doh!).

I phoned Aer Fungus on the same subject and got the same response - my reply was "You've never seen my Wife, enraged and with a handbag" :rolleyes: .
I gave up trying to sort it in advance and in the end i took the lid on as hand luggage. They never said a word and if they had i'd say i'm not putting a lifesaving device in the hold where it could get totally fucked! :p

You'll not be wanting to wear a UK helmet in Vegas, even an open face one. Trust me on this :thumb

I wore my Shoei Hornet for 4,500 miles from Indianapolis to Colorado and back again, including a couple of 700 mile days across Kansas when it was 40 deg C. with high humidity. On other occasions, I've ridden in similar temperatures in California with the same lid and with a Tour-X.......:nenau

The last few times I've flown to the US, I've lugged my helmet as a "personal item", in one of these.....

2008_Scorpion_RaceCase_Dirt_Silver_Black.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co.uk/13/64/838/13714/ITEM/Scorpion-RaceCase-Dirt.aspx

We just carried our helmets in their Schuberth/Shoei bags last year to LA from Heathrow and had no issues whatsoever with BA :thumby:

We took ours on as hand luggage inside small duffle bags at the weekend.

Kevin

Carried one as hand luggage numerous times throughout Europe. Never a problem on any of the airlines. Its plastic or whatever the same as carry on bags or a feckin Tupperware box. It gets scanned at security same as any hand luggage. If you have any worries then just hand it over to the cabin crew when boarding. I keep mine to hand cos it has my sarnies in it. :thumb

I flew from Belfast to East Midlands to collect a bike I'd bought, the only thing I had with me was the helmet. Didn't have any problem at the check-in desk but when I got to security I was questioned about why I needed to take a crash helmet on the plane :blast I think my usual sarcasm would have resulted in a strip search and being banned from the flight

SWMBO flew with BA to Alicante a couple of weeks ago and took her helmet on as hand baggage with no issues at all. She carried it in the helmet bag, but I have no idea if that makes a difference.

We're flying Singapore airlines to Oz in November. I've already asked them about taking a crash helmet. After the exchange of multiple e-mails they said it had to go in the hold. Would not have it in the cabin at all, - and I did try very hard to convince them!

Same response I got from them when I enquired about flying to NZ

I'm sure it would be OK to turn up with it as hand luggage but I don't fancy taking the risk of turning up at check in to be told I can't take my helmet on board and then being stuck.

I think we are going to buy a couple of cheapish helmets and pack them safe in sturdy cases for hold baggage.

if they take a bashing on the way over I'll just find something when we get over there.

Back
Top Bottom