Buying an Outfit

topcat2006

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Seriously thinking of an outfit. My kids are 8 and 4. My 8 year old rides pillion but its getting to the point where my 4 year old wants to come out with us and my wife has just started riding too.

What should I be looking for when I buy an outfit? Are there any designs which are better than others. Wont have a lot of money to spend so suspect it will be old.....

Thanks

Tom

Tom , i`m in the process of having one put together . I bought a Charnwood sports , off ebay for a grand . I`m putting it on my V Rod , the guys at Ansons are doing it .

http://www.ansonclassic.co.uk/

I`m getting the paint matched and powder coating to match the bikes frame with the sidecar . Prolly a bit over the top , you can do it much cheaper than i`m doing it . I think they will fit your sidecar to your bike for about £800 . Paint and powder coating is extra :tears .

You can get a decent , second hand sidecar really cheap , keep looking . I`ve found the blokes at Ansons ( they took over from Charnwoods ) really helpfull .

Thanks.

That was an option I thought of as watsonian squire is not too far way from us.

My other option was buying a ready made outfit from ebay as some seem to go for sensible money.

Outfits are an absolute blast. Very different from riding a solo - or anything else. Watsonian do a fine job, or you could look at a Ural (like mine):

Worth starting to learn with someone who knows what they're doing. Outfits are a handful when you're just starting out.

But do it - great fun.

Outfits are an absolute blast.

Indeed they are mate. :beerjug:

You could look at a Ural (like mine)

Or mine...actually,my TWO...:p

SkayaSnow2010003Medium.jpg

Dee at Stella.jpg

Worth starting to learn with someone who knows what they're doing. Outfits are a handful when you're just starting out..

From the mouths of babes...;) :augie
Remember the 'I`ll be okay riding 34 miles home on a combo I`ve never even sat on before' conversation?? :D

Go on mate...post the Ural buying and training thread again. :thumb

But do it - great fun.

Abso..bloody..lutely. On both comments. :clap

But a word of warning .... don`t anyone think that just because you can ride a bike you`ll be able to just bolt on a chair or buy a combo and ride away merrily into the sunset.
You`ll most likely ride into an oncoming car on the first decent left hander you take....or into a ditch.
If you don`t die or hurt yourself,you`ll scare yourself off combos for life.
You NEED tuition.

Abso..bloody..lutely. On both comments. :clap

But a word of warning .... don`t anyone think that just because you can ride a bike you`ll be able to just bolt on a chair or buy a combo and ride away merrily into the sunset.
You`ll most likely ride into an oncoming car on the first decent left hander you take....or into a ditch.
If you don`t die or hurt yourself,you`ll scare yourself off combos for life.
You NEED tuition.

Got to agree with Tarka......riding an outfit is nothing like either riding a bike or driving a car, but with a little practice they're soooooo much fun.
Not used my GS since getting my outfit back on the road!

Why don't you check out F2 motorcycles Ltd Wisbech Cambs, they Import Urals and sometimes have used for sale, you may have seen his outfits on the motorcycle show last week.

Thanks all.

Re tuition - the guys at watsonian squire have offered me half a days tuition which I will take them up on. Feel a bit cheeky doing so as I cannot afford anything they are selling and will probably spend somewhere under £2k on ebay for an outfit.

Im going to keep my eyes peeled and see what comes up.

Tom

My 8 year old rides pillion but its getting to the point where my 4 year old wants to come out with us and my wife has just started riding too.

Thanks

Tom

This is a wind-up right? "my 8 year old rides pillion" surely that's not safe? Or am I being overly precious?
As for you considering taking a 4 year old out, even if in a sidecar, is sheer fukcing madness, have you seen how many incompetent car drivers are on the road FFS??!!!!!

This is a wind-up right? "my 8 year old rides pillion" surely that's not safe? Or am I being overly precious?
As for you considering taking a 4 year old out, even if in a sidecar, is sheer fukcing madness, have you seen how many incompetent car drivers are on the road FFS??!!!!!

My daughter was taken to hospital in her mums tummy in a sidecar and brought home the next day in her mothers arms in the same sidecar. She knew no other transport for many years and rode pillion on solos from the age of 7 or 8.

She's made to to the ripe old age of 24.

What's your problem?

Andres

What a complete and utter load of bollocks.

So you`d never ever take any child of your own in ANY road vehicle because of "how many incompetent car drivers are on the road FFS??"

As for something being a wind up......surely your nannying let`s wrap everyone in cotton wool because otherwise it`s not safe is a fecking wind up.

Go on....fecking do one. :rob

My daughter was taken to hospital in her mums tummy in a sidecar and brought home the next day in her mothers arms in the same sidecar. She knew no other transport for many years and rode pillion on solos from the age of 7 or 8.

What's your problem?

Andres

Oh forgive me, it must be safe then, how silly of me!

In 26+ years of riding I've only ever seen two children riding pillion and both times wished them a safe journey as they went flying past me. In my true and honest opinion, the back of a bike is no place for an 8 year old child.

No problem with little kids on twist and go mini's in a field at your local village fete etc, but out on the open road, no!

To the OP; I wish you and yours a lifetime of safe and trouble-free motorcycling.

In 26+ years of riding I've only ever seen two children riding pillion and both times wished them a safe journey as they went flying past me. In my true and honest opinion, the back of a bike is no place for an 8 year old child.

No problem with little kids on twist and go mini's in a field at your local village fete etc, but out on the open road, no!

To the OP; I wish you and yours a lifetime of safe and trouble-free motorcycling.

Haven`t you fecked off yet ? :rob

Should you really be riding such a dangerous form of transport as a motorcycle?

Tell you what - you live your life and I'll live mine.

My boy has been pillion since he was six starting off with small journeys round the block and now longer stuff.

I know one thing - he and I have a great relationship and spending time with his dad on the bike is a great reward. I know another - he will be far safer on the roads when he starts riding/driving as he has had good road safety and life skills drummed into him from the very start.

Tom

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My lad's been riding in the sidecar since he was four years old (its the reason I bought it), and pillion on the GS from being eight years old.
some of the best father and son bonding moments I've had with him have involved the bike/sidecar.:D

Interesting comments coming from a guy who claims to have 26+ years of riding. Maybe not particularly confident riding me thinks. Everyone out there trying to kill you? Maybe not. Maybe just a little too PC, teacher or council worker, something to do with kids or old folks? Probably has one of those hi-vis bike jackets too.:nenau

Don't mind me. Just thinking out loud.

Val.

PS: I love my sidecar I do :JB

What's your problem?

Andres

I want to show you this: http://home.otc-mc.org/~197/krystall_2001/42.jpg
http://home.otc-mc.org/~197/krystall_2001/index4.html
I know where that daughter live, if the sidecardaughters want to meet. :bounce1

:) Liv.

I want you to see some old pictures.

My blue sidecar, in the 70's, I believe.
3 kids, 2 dogs, one bird and parents camping! :clap

I bought it in 2007.

:tarka:camping Liv.

Attachments

• n864090214_2301000_9071.jpg
    n864090214_2301000_9071.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 5452_125991415973_534255973_2869465_6891816_n.jpg
    5452_125991415973_534255973_2869465_6891816_n.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 5452_125991410973_534255973_2869464_4038814_n.jpg
    5452_125991410973_534255973_2869464_4038814_n.jpg