Road closures in Austria today

The Grey One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After the extreme weather yesterday there are a number of roads closed due to flooding. The Felbertauern tunnel road has been close for some time due to a landslide. The Grossglockner is under snow! There are too many other roads to list so here is a link to the OAMTC site http://www.oeamtc.at/verkehrsservice/output/html/sb_uebersicht.html

for full details of each region use the drop down menu. "sperre" means closed.

John

Not good:eek: I will be there in less than 2 weeks:blast

Flooding is bad news hope it clears up for the people effected as it will probably just be an inconvenience for me

Dave

Not good:eek: I will be there in less than 2 weeks:blast

Flooding is bad news hope it clears up for the people effected as it will probably just be an inconvenience for me

Dave

We have seen nothing of these problems around here and I don't think many of the road closures will last long. But not good news for those in the areas that are flooded though.

John

Grossglockner and Mangart

Over the Grossglockner today - most snow I've ever seen on it
Later in day the Mangart road in Slovenia signed as "closed" so we went up anyway! Managed to get up most of the way - near 5000ft - then met with 10ft wall of snow with digger parked up. Huge amounts of snow up there - and at least it was toll free - cos it wiz closed!

Cheers........Grizzly :beerjug:

Over the Grossglockner today - most snow I've ever seen on it
Later in day the Mangart road in Slovenia signed as "closed" so we went up anyway! Managed to get up most of the way - near 5000ft - then met with 10ft wall of snow with digger parked up. Huge amounts of snow up there - and at least it was toll free - cos it wiz closed!

Cheers........Grizzly :beerjug:

There has been more snow up on the 'Glockner both this season and previous ones. In 2009 they did not manage to get it open until the middle of May. We had a group from here go there today, sadly I could not go with but I have seen their photos https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.533203906741104.1073741845.478835858844576&type=1
I went there last week and there was not a bare patch of rock to be seen anywhere

Hopefully the Mangart will be open soon, it's usually around the middle of June anyway. It's a nice little road but then there are plenty of others, the view though is outstanding. Just over the border into Italy there are loads of roads that have been resurfaced for the Giro di Italia. Some that were fill of craters are now perfect tarmac. How long it will last I don't know but I intend to enjoy them this summer.

John

Later in day the Mangart road in Slovenia signed as "closed" so we went up anyway!

We were up there yesterday afternoon too ;)
No traffic on the way up, met an elderly Froggy at the digger who'd cycled up & was tres disappointed he'd done over 8km & couldn'd do the last couple !
Met a number of cars, one of whom was quite surprised to meet a GSA in the middle of a bend :eek:, and several motorbikes on our way back down. Beautiful spot up there.
(will try & upload the pics later)

After the extreme weather yesterday there are a number of roads closed due to flooding. The Felbertauern tunnel road has been close for some time due to a landslide. The Grossglockner is under snow! There are too many other roads to list so here is a link to the OAMTC site http://www.oeamtc.at/verkehrsservice/output/html/sb_uebersicht.html

for full details of each region use the drop down menu. "sperre" means closed.

John

Ta for info John - i'm thinking of passing through tyrol in approx. 10 days time and according to your info roads are open but roadworks - if I'm interpretating the symbols correctly!!

Jeez Jockser!

Wow Jockser - we might have bumped into you :eek: We were up at the digger/snow about 15:30 - we saw a cyclist on way up as we came down & the thought crossed our mind - maybe he doesn't know its shut :( As you say, an incredible road - digger still has hundreds on tons of snow to clear. Got some good photos on camera - will upload when home in 3 weeks. Now near Zadar in Croatia.

Cheers.......Grizzly:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom