WEST Beer

Ronno

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I went for a bar lunch to The Adamson in St Andrews on Monday and had a pint of lager. I'm not big fan of beer but this was nectar. I knew it wasnt Tennants :augie so I made enquiries and it turns out that it was a pint of St Mungos. The bar owner gave me a bit of background info. It turns out that it's brewed in Glasgow by WEST Beer. They do a range of German style beers including Hefeweizen and even have a restaurant serving German grub. The business is owned by German woman who started it up as a microbrewery and it's taken off.

All the beers are brewed in accordance with Rheinheitsgebot (German purity laws) so there's no chemicals involved.

I think I feel like a wee trip through to Glasgow :beer:

They sell cases of 12 and 24 bottles of St Mungo in their shop but also sell 1 litre swing top bottles that you can fill with any of their draught beers

Strange.....

I'm just heading down to Glasgow now.
Going to St Mungo, Townhead:nenau

The brewery is at Glasgow Green. Is that near?

I will put that on my shopping list for the next trip to the dear green place:beer:

When we wiz in Ireland the pub - Spilanes just outside Castle Gregory- had Creans lager. I don't usually drink lager but it too was really fine beer.

( Tom Crean was with Scott of the Antarctic, or something, and turned to beer making when he got home. The brewery is in Kerry somewhere but we didn't have time to visit...)

Ronno if you take a trip down be sure and phone them first. They are sometimes fully booked for private functions. Happened to me. Bit of a pain in the arse TBH. Weirdest bar counter i have ever seen in a pub (its as wide as hell). Possibly because the pub is in the Calton and to stop punters jumping over it :D The have large beer glasses but you have to pay a deposit of £5 or £10 (refundable) to use them. That kinda pisses me off as it works on the assumptions that we are all thieves. On the couple of occasions i have been in the joint the service has been shit however the beer is good and if the weather is nice you can sit outside.

That's a coincidence.... booked this a couple of weeks ago...:)

Same place so may just have to try one...:thumb

Ronno if you take a trip down be sure and phone them first. They are sometimes fully booked for private functions. Happened to me. Bit of a pain in the arse TBH. Weirdest bar counter i have ever seen in a pub (its as wide as hell). Possibly because the pub is in the Calton and to stop punters jumping over it :D The have large beer glasses but you have to pay a deposit of £5 or £10 (refundable) to use them. That kinda pisses me off as it works on the assumptions that we are all thieves. On the couple of occasions i have been in the joint the service has been shit however the beer is good and if the weather is nice you can sit outside.

Aye, I'll book beforehand :beerjug:

That's a coincidence.... booked this a couple of weeks ago...:)

Same place so may just have to try one...:thumb

The music events are on the WEST website so I'm guessing that they run it.

Have you seen the Speisse Karte? :ronno

Its at the barralands end of Glasgow green, it can be busy with familys and as mentioned it has a huge bar an isn't the cheapest place, food is okay but that was based on eating there quite a few years back.

Its worth having a look at the ceramic fountain thats in front of the peoples palace its an impressivelump of pottery

Rab Ha's in the merchant city area of glasgow does the WEST beers as well, an is a more pleasent enviroment IMHO

Finished up in a place called Firebird in Glasgow Sat night and they sold it, had a couple if pints. Good beer :beerjug:
And at 5.5% you know youve had a few :blagblah

Had a pint of their ersatz hefeweizen in that old school in Woodlands Road.

It was f'in awful.:barf The barmaid said they sold loads of the stuff. Students obviously drink anything...

Ate and drunk there a few weeks ago. Good food and great beer. Had a really enjoyable evening.

Tom

Aldi had some West lager on the shelves yesterday as part of the 'beer festival' they have on. The GF and I popped into the West bar for a taste on Saturday...wee bit disappointed that the dark beers were off but nice atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom