Pyrenees

Rod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What is the earliest time of year that the weather is pleasent to ride in the Pyrenees.
Does anyone have any good routes. I will probably put my bike on the train from Calais to Toulouse ( I hate ferrys). I'm thinking of a 7 - 8 day trip, wouldn't mind an overnight in Barcelona.
Any tips would be great, thanks.........

I'm sure I saw a couple of years ago in a bike mag. a review of a good book containing motorcycling routes/tips for the Pyrenees and/or Italy/Switzerland ?? does anybody know about these books.........

We stayed in the Pyrenees in September, fantastic spot, beautiful scenery. We didn't travel much in the Pyrenees (did some walking then went south), but we met a group of people who rode the N260 across the Spanish sideof the Pyrenees. This travels from Puigcerda in Catalonia to Biescas in Aragon, and is a great twisty road. It also has one of my favourite road signs:

9140914-S.jpg

So you know what to expect. There was a great campsite in Gavin, just before Biescas.

On the northern (French) side, you have all the famous mountains the riders climb in the Tour de France, the Tourmalet, the Col d'Aspin, the Portet d'Aspet, etc etc. It looked like the roads were much better in Spain than in France.

If you want to see more pics, check out my smugmug pages, from here onwards.

Through the Pyrenees

David

I went in late May and the Col d`Aubisque and Col de Tourmalet were both closed..luckily on the other side of the summits to where I was but a bit frustrating having to backtrack.

Have travelled North to South in Spain for the moto Gp at Jerez on 2 occasions. Both in April. Both times snowing heavily as we went through Burgos ( Basically a city in the Western Foothills )

Travelled the Pyrennes in April no problem over the Pas De Casa into Andorra but travelling back from Jaca to Pau my collegue found it hard in the snow storm on a sports bike.

It depends how high up you want to go and on the year. You can ride through the pyrenees all year round if you are lucky, but the high passes are usually closed. Bad weather can com equickly and to be honest I would ride there now as there are snow storms.

from March to November you can be fairly certian you are ok. BUT one thing is snow, another thing is the cold and the ice. Beware on shady bends.

Follow the weather very very closely and speak to locals and ask them.

im travelling to mercia on the southern coast of spain, in mid april,

Do i.........

cross into spain in the north near Bilao

OR

stay in france and hit the coast road into southern spain.

i dont want to hit any snow!!

onahi2002 said:

Do i.........

OR

I don't know about Spain but I doubt you will have any snow in France, just need to check the forecast before you come in order to choose which route to take. It can snow on the Massive Centrale so you could come down via Dijon. I am about 3 hours from Barcelona, can't remember any snow between here and there in April. It did snow in Nice one June though I am told so never say never!

Bob

cheers bob, one good thing bout staying in france, is i can go across the new bridge!:D

onahi2002 said:
cheers bob, one good thing bout staying in france, is i can go across the new bridge!:D

A friend of mine was on it today, reckons it was a magic moment. Must admit it was a lovely day today....blue skies etc.....struggled with the wine and oysters...suffer suffer!:beerjug:

onahi2002 said:

Do i.........

OR

Isn´t it going to depend on where you are coming from? I wouldn´t worry too much about snow. If you want good weather, you arent very likely to find it near Bilbao though.

Assuming you are coming from the south east I would say do the Millau route. Great riding to be had. If by the cost road doen to Murcia on the mediterranean coast - well yes and no. some of it is wonderful, the majority of it isn´t. Let us know what you decide and I can help with a route if you need it.

cheers

bob

IVE DECIDE TO GO FROM CALAIS DOWN TO AGED VIA THE BRIDGE, THEN ALONG THE MED ROAD TO MERCIA.

CAN YOU DIG IT:confused:

SOMETHING LIKE THAT

:D

onahi2002 said:
IVE DECIDE TO GO FROM CALAIS DOWN TO AGED VIA THE BRIDGE, THEN ALONG THE MED ROAD TO MERCIA.

SOMETHING LIKE THAT

AGED? Is that Agde? If so I may just offer you a glass or three!

Hi All,
This is precisely my question as i've ridden off road high up in Pyrenees in August.
i want to take the bike in April this year to the same trails to escape the heat.
Will there be a possibility of snow then, high up and in late April?

tim

yes Shenzy, the place on the southern coast. do you live near, if so, whats the best campsite for me to head to?

cheers, (that glass or two!:D )

onahi2002 said:
yes Shenzy, the place on the southern coast. do you live near, if so, whats the best campsite for me to head to?

cheers, (that glass or two!:D )

I live 15 mins from Agde but know zilch about camp sites. There are lots down near the beach though. When are you coming down?

Cheers Mitch 4 foto,
so it looks cold then. i rode off road in Andorra during late summers. but did not enjoy the heat lower altitudes.
I was hoping would be fine during April so that i escape heat and can still take bike high off road.
i may have to camp at lower altitudes.

best way to find out is to go eh?

tim

onahi2002 said:

SOMETHING LIKE THAT

Yeah I can dig it Nige, It was the Calais bit I couldn´t find. So you want to go to Mercia (which is east anglia, if Im not mistaken) via aged.

Yeah I pop that into me GPS and see what it says.;)

The coast road into Spain is spectacular as is the bit from Sant Feliu to Tossa del Mar (suitable name for us!). On the second bit, better to do it week days as the cops are out there every weekend. be careful going in an out of the villages, stick to the limts in the villages and take a spare set of bulbs.

After that I would be careful taking the coast road - its a bit crappy, lots of trucks and not very pretty.

I´ll have a look at the maps tonight and send you a couple of routes.

cheers

bob

Back
Top Bottom