Tough enough?

Nye

I've just got my first F650. First impression is worrying! Compared to my 1200 it looks and feels, well, flimsy! Are these really tough enough for off-road riding? Are there any top tips or modifications I should make? I'm particularly worried by the radiator and the hoses on the left side - they look as if they will be an early casualty. Any advice?

Ain't no expert but..

.. IMHO if you are looking at serious off-road stuff the F650 is not the best choice. It will do light green lane action but not much more. Tyres, suspension travel etc. are not up to serious mucky stuff & it's not the lightest beast.

You would be better with a DR350 or similar for more potential off tarmac. An electric start is very useful and once you go over 400cc the weight starts to be an important issue, that's the bikes not yours! ;-))

The BMW Off Road Skills course uses F650s (both GS and Dakar), and they seem to crash pretty well. Some of the plastics were scuffed and cracked when I was there, but these are bikes that are subjected to a pretty much continuous parade of people being encouraged to push the boundaries of their skills.

The bikes are more robust and more capable off road than you might expect from looking at them. Change some parts and they'll do Paris-Dakar. There are lighter an better suited bikes out there no doubt, but that doesn't make the F650 incapable by any means. And they're pretty forgiving for newbies (heavy to pick up, but lighter than an Adventure...)

I was worried about the radiator also and fitted a set of the Touratech upper / fairing crash bars. They seem to offer the rad etc good protection.

Mike.

Nye, you don't say which model F650 you have ?

I previously had an F650 FL and now have the F650 GS, the GS is more capable off-road, although it shall always be a compromise.
I would have bought an old trials bike if I only wanted to do off-road, but I don't, that's why I bought the GS. It does both well for me, fit crash bars, hand guards and invest in some decent foot/ankle protection.
The F650 is a tough bike and can take abuse.
For all you could ever want to know, specific to the 650 check out Trevor's web site at http://www.trevorgeorge.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
A friendly and helpful bunch with practical and technical info in abundance.
Nye, IMO you made a good choice with the F650, enjoy it.
G C

Thanks for your comments...
It's a new 650GS. I took it for a spin in the paddock this afternoon. Went very well, though I'll need to change the tyres.

Thanks for the Touratech fairing protector suggestion - looks good. I take it they are easy to fit?

btw - ABS breaks in mud/ice, going down a slope towards the river made for an exciting time!

The 650GS is similar to the bigger twins in needing a fair number of miles till the engine feels "broken in" and it also responds well, as do most bikes, to letting it warm up fully before letting rip. Watch out for the BMW trait of early corrosion showing on the fork legs (about the brace) and I did have a problem with the left side engine casing. Read through he 650 specific sites however and apart from concerns about the steering head bearings it does not seem to have any more, and maybe even less, problems than the bigger twin GS's.

Nye said:
btw - ABS breaks in mud/ice, going down a slope towards the river made for an exciting time!

I'd turn it off when you're off road.

Jon said:
I'd turn it off when you're off road.
It's interesting that you say that as it's often the stock answer from someone who hasn't ridden for any real distance with ABS enabled Off-Road.

The ABS ON or OFF while Off-Road issue has been discussed many times on the Chain Gang forums and it seems that if you're not 'racing' and deliberately wish to lock the rear wheel, then it works fine with ABS in the ON position while on the dirt. It certainly does in my case.

Here's a couple of links to some 'Chain Gang' threads to read, then make up your own mind whether to switch it out (or not).

Another offroad techie question
and
ABS doesn't read smooth metal in roads?

Cheers, Trevor, Bristol, UK. F650 website for UK & Ireland owners/enthusiasts

Trevor George said:
It's interesting that you say that as it's often the stock answer from someone who hasn't ridden for any real distance with ABS enabled Off-Road.

Cheeky. Oh yes I have :D I prefer it orf

The ABS ON or OFF while Off-Road issue has been discussed many times on the Chain Gang forums and it seems that if you're not 'racing' and deliberately wish to lock the rear wheel, then it works fine with ABS in the ON position while on the dirt. It certainly does in my case.

I'm usually "racing" or wishing to lock the rear wheel :D

Here's a couple of links to some 'Chain Gang' threads to read, then make up your own mind whether to switch it out (or not).

Another offroad techie question
and
ABS doesn't read smooth metal in roads?

Cheers, Trevor, Bristol, UK. F650 website for UK & Ireland owners/enthusiasts

I sometimes leave my ABS on when off road.

But that's only on trails I know I wont have to use the brakes.

Back
Top Bottom