Spain & Portugal

coleng

Reaction score
Hi all on my way to Spain & Portugal on 18 June setting off from Portsmouth to Santander, staying at satillana del mar, cuidad rodrigo, Valladolid,evora,coimbra,lisbon 2 nights,braga,lugo,santiago de compostella then back to Santander anyone visited Amy of these places or any good bar reccomendations
Cheers
Colin

No. Sorry but your trip is like a city break but if it help you with your accomodation then that's fine. How long have you got? Some of the distances between stop-overs are quite short and I wonder if your are trail riding.

Regarding places to eat a drink I'd just go for a walk and look through the windows to work out if a place is popular or not. En Espania you can go for a series of tapas bars and in Portugal you can sniff out the best Atlantic fish under the grill.

Don't get sunburnt.

What's wrong with a (multiple) city break? I'm doing the exact same thing at the end of July as I love castles, cathedrals and old towns. I've deliberately kept the mileage down to around 100-130 miles /2-3 hours some days to maximize sightseeing, although the mileage will be on scenic roads :cool:

What's wrong with a (multiple) city break?

I don't know because I haven't done that. The few rides which I have done have been to get away and stop where and when it feels right. I prefer to wing-it and see what happens, and to immerse myself and try a few language skills (not!). More often than not you will gather your own entertaining crowd when being somewhere obscure moreover than being within the crowd. I think I prefer to travel alone on a tour and like it that way. :confused:

It suppose it doesn't really matter where you go as long as you, or the OP, have a good trip and come back safe, happy and have something to talk about.

Buenos Viajes.

I guess you're the opposite of me then - I plan everything down to the last detail months in advance :D

I did suggest to Trudi that we could try winging it next year as we have three weeks to bimble round Europe, but she was horrified at the thought as she says I'm too anal for that and will get stressed out looking for hotels each evening :aidan

I aim to enjoy riding the roads between the cities & towns, few hours looking around the towns and a few drinks in the night and a nice meal, next morning off to the next town same again that way you get a better chance to meet locals sample their cuisine while also getting to see monuments and places of interest been doing it like that got 11 years and quite enjoy it while not getting bored being stuck in the same place. All hotels are booked in advance

Hi all on my way to Spain & Portugal staying at satillana del mar, cuidad rodrigo, Valladolid,evora,coimbra,lisbon 2 nights,braga,lugo,santiago de compostella then back to Santander
Colin

Hi Colin, Valladolid is a cracking city - plenty of choice - bars - restaurants around the plaza major, cannot remember the name of the place we ate in (but the restaurant was up-stairs) :blast - nice city and would deffo visit again. Good choice :thumb

In Santander 2 places - both on Calle Rio de La Pila - 1st and budget price, but good honest food, restaurant Cantabria (furthest up the street from the roundabout, and on the right hand side) Hams, covering the bar ceiling and upstairs to eat - very popular so go before hand and book a table.

2nd Bodega del Riojano - on the left just after the roundabout (below Cantabria) - plush eating establishment, obviously a little pricier but top notch food, wine and service. Loverly big old wine barrels (i think) set up and in to the wall behind the bar.

Used both of these a few times and close to the heart of the city,

Be there myself in July - good luck and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom