Tom Tom installer reqd please.

Tommy Gunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I currently have a Navi III on my RT but it let me down badly on a recent trip to Europe. The problems started after I updated the maps but Garmin weren't remotely interested in helping when I called them about it. 'Sorry sir, that product is no longer supported.'
When I bought the RT I also bought a Tom Tom but Pidcocks tried to fit it before telling me it was incomparable with my bike.

I'm going to have to replace the unit now and don't want another crappy Garmin, especially having been quoted £750 to supply and fit one by one dealer.

I've been told by Astle''s and Rainbow that the Tom Tom confuses the Canbus and neither of them will fit it, at any price.
Balderstones have said they'll 'try' to fit it but can't make any guarantees as the brackets might not fit the RT.

It seems clear to me that some of you have Tom Toms on your BMW's so I'm wondering if any of them are on 2011 RT's, are they working okay and can anyone recommend anyone within 60 miles or so of Lincoln who can fit one for me, please?

Thanx in advance.

mine is run from the cable supplied with the tomtom.

it couldnt be any easier run the cable from the battery under the tank to the ram mount and cradle then plug it in.
nothing else to do :cool:

Cheers. Does the cradle fit on the RT okay?
Any thoughts as to why Dealers seem to think it's an impossible task, apart from self interest in trying to sell me a Navi IV?

mine is on a Kawasaki i used the ram mount and cradle it came with easy to fit to my bars [or anywhere you like].
its all in the box so no need to buy anything extra,

here is a picture

P1110238_zpsa0282479.jpg

Cheers. Does the cradle fit on the RT okay?
Any thoughts as to why Dealers seem to think it's an impossible task, apart from self interest in trying to sell me a Navi IV?

You have hit the nail on the head, self interest, how the feck does the canbus know whether its powering a Garmin or a Tom Tom. I see no reason why you can't make a cable up to power the Tom Tom and run it from the connection below the instruments

the tom tom cable has a plug one end and 2 leads for the battery i dont see why it couldnt be spliced in or a connector added.

but its so simple to come of the battery or fuse box anyway

whats a canbus???

You have hit the nail on the head, self interest, how the feck does the canbus know whether its powering a Garmin or a Tom Tom.

Different impedence leading to different current demand?

It's about the same as getting a fault when you've put an 18w bulb where a 5w bulb should be.

If you take the power and earth supplies direct from the battery the can bus has no involvement so it isn't affected. I don't know about the Tom Tom mount but I have heard of other makes mounts drawing current with the sat nav out. So this would just need checking to avoid the potential of flattening the battery.

I currently have a Navi III on my RT but it let me down badly on a recent trip to Europe. The problems started after I updated the maps but Garmin weren't remotely interested in helping when I called them about it. 'Sorry sir, that product is no longer supported.'
When I bought the RT I also bought a Tom Tom but Pidcocks tried to fit it before telling me it was incomparable with my bike.

I'm going to have to replace the unit now and don't want another crappy Garmin, especially having been quoted £750 to supply and fit one by one dealer.

I've been told by Astle''s and Rainbow that the Tom Tom confuses the Canbus and neither of them will fit it, at any price.
Balderstones have said they'll 'try' to fit it but can't make any guarantees as the brackets might not fit the RT.

It seems clear to me that some of you have Tom Toms on your BMW's so I'm wondering if any of them are on 2011 RT's, are they working okay and can anyone recommend anyone within 60 miles or so of Lincoln who can fit one for me, please?

Thanx in advance.
i can fit/wire it for you no prob,i would probably power it through an ignition controlled relay and fit an aux socket at the same time.
my workshop is 2miles from the A1 near grantham .mike:thumby:

If you take the power and earth supplies direct from the battery the can bus has no involvement so it isn't affected. I don't know about the Tom Tom mount but I have heard of other makes mounts drawing current with the sat nav out. So this would just need checking to avoid the potential of flattening the battery.

it doesent flatten my battery,is a BMW different from other bikes?

you just connect to the battery its so simple even i could [did] do it,i dont see what all the fuss is about,the thing wont work any different where ever the power comes from.
most times simples best :D

If you choose to attach the mount kit yourself, note that the Active Dock has a built-in
fuse. This means that you don’t need to add a fuse yourself while performing the connection
between the device and the motorcycle battery.

i can fit/wire it for you no prob,i would probably power it through an ignition controlled relay and fit an aux socket at the same time.
my workshop is 2miles from the A1 near grantham .mike:thumby:

Excellent. Cheers. I shall probably pop over some time for a chat if that's okay?

If you choose to attach the mount kit yourself, note that the Active Dock has a built-in
fuse. This means that you don’t need to add a fuse yourself while performing the connection
between the device and the motorcycle battery.

Thank you. I have been told that the cradle drains the battery if it's wired through the canbus, not sure if it's the same if it's connected direct to the battery, or indeed what the effects of by-passing the canbus are - hence me calling in the experts.

The Canbus, as far as I can tell, is the unit by which BMW Motorrad has me by the gonads.

I would go with Mikeyboys solution it will switch the tomtom off and on with the ignition ( you can configure the tomtom to do this) and the current drain on the coil side of the relay (It only requires a small relay) will not be detected by the can-bus. :thumb

Thank you. I have been told that the cradle drains the battery if it's wired through the canbus, not sure if it's the same if it's connected direct to the battery, or indeed what the effects of by-passing the canbus are - hence me calling in the experts.

The Canbus, as far as I can tell, is the unit by which BMW Motorrad has me by the gonads.

last time

the tomtom is "designed" to connect straight to the battery it does not need a switch or to be ignition live.

as soon as you take the new rider 2013 off the cradle it powers down [youd be mad to leave it on for a thief anyway]

my bikes modified with a electric thumb gear change,hot grips and tomtom straight of the battery it doesent drain and everything works fine,as it has for 10 years. :rob

it doesent flatten my battery,is a BMW different from other bikes?

you just connect to the battery its so simple even i could [did] do it,i dont see what all the fuss is about,the thing wont work any different where ever the power comes from.
most times simples best :D

BMW no different to any other system, I just said it was worth checking as others have said it can happen on other sat nav makes :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom