Scammell Scarab

mad-dawg

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 1150GSA (02) sounds like the above in 3,4,5 & 6 gears at part load/overrun, give it some beans and the whine goes away. The whine only appears when engine is warm.
Gear change is very slick (for a beemer), its not tyres as they were changed from Tourance to Michelin.
Gearbox oil is clean and no metal bits.
I have had two 1100's and they both whined a little usually in 3rd.
Done a search and the conclusion I came to is that the bearings are goosed (58K) so looks like the box has to come out and get fettled.
Question is, I know roughly what labour will be but no idea on cost of bearings/seals..........any ideas so I can decide which piggy bank gets the hammer?
The search also suggests the clutch should be changed, anything else whilst I am in there?

If both piggy banks are to be breached Mr Honda might get a trade in :rob
Its piss poor design by BMW if bearings running in gear oil cant last the life of the bike.

Thanks

My 1150GSA (02) sounds like the above in 3,4,5 & 6 gears at part load/overrun, give it some beans and the whine goes away. The whine only appears when engine is warm.
Gear change is very slick (for a beemer), its not tyres as they were changed from Tourance to Michelin.
Done a search and the conclusion I came to is that the bearings are goosed (58K) so looks like the box has to come out and get fettled.
Question is, I know roughly what labour will be but no idea on cost of bearings/seals..........any ideas so I can decide which piggy bank gets the hammer?
The search also suggests the clutch should be changed, anything else whilst I am in there?

Its piss poor design by BMW if bearings running in gear oil cant last the life of the bike.

Thanks

Firstly, plenty of bikes are dead and burried after 40k miles, so 58k isn't bad.

Secondly, are you sure it's the gearbox bearings? I'm assuming you've checked the rear bevel box bearing.

Thirdly, how long is a piece of string. It may just be the output bearing, which should be reasonably priced. Ultimately until you get it apart there is no way of knowing what is wrong.

I would be amazed if every bearing was fooked and I'd put it down to somebody fecking it up and using the wrong oil.

Firstly, plenty of bikes are dead and burried after 40k miles, so 58k isn't bad.

Secondly, are you sure it's the gearbox bearings? I'm assuming you've checked the rear bevel box bearing.

Thirdly, how long is a piece of string. It may just be the output bearing, which should be reasonably priced. Ultimately until you get it apart there is no way of knowing what is wrong.

I would be amazed if every bearing was fooked and I'd put it down to somebody fecking it up and using the wrong oil.

Don't know of many "modern" bikes that die at 60K if looked after, although this is not dead just needing repair.

Rear bevel bearing is fine and is unlikely to whine in only specific gears, but it was checked and okay when paralever bearings were replaced.

Might just be output bearing but if the box is out and in bits seems daft not to change all of em hence the question about cost for all the bearings seals.

Could be the various BMW dealers that did all the full service history used the wrong grade oil. :nenau

If the 1150 is the same as an 1100, many of the gearbox bearings are sealed and don't run in the gearbox oil.

These gearboxes aren't totally straightforward to rebuild and need shimming to preload the bearings (requiring experience and special tools). I'd be giving mine to either Steptoe or Scriminger.

If the 1150 is the same as an 1100, many of the gearbox bearings are sealed and don't run in the gearbox oil.

These gearboxes aren't totally straightforward to rebuild and need shimming to preload the bearings (requiring experience and special tools). I'd be giving mine to either Steptoe or Scriminger.

Totally correct, all bearings are sealed and I did the whole job own labour no reshimming for 50 of your pounds:rob

Thanks

Cost me about £300 to be done by a ex BMW bloke in the midlands - I sent him the box for £10 with parceltogo.

Gearbox out..............6 hours:blast
In my defence I had no 6" bolts for guide pins so went to Screwfix and bought a pack of M8 screwed rod for 7 quid, cut to length and Bobs etc.

Which halfwit decided it would be a good idea to put one of the GSA crashbar/frame fixings inside the tube of the crashbar!!
1/4" drive was twisting and threatening to snap and I didnt have enough 3/8" extensions to reach and 1/2" socket is too big to fit in the tube,
More defence for my tardy effort is I had to go back to town for some 3/8" extension bars.

Now here is the question
Slave cylinder (bit inside gearbox was covered in oil as was pushrod down to the seal is that okay? no sign of any brake fluid leaking though.
Does the slave cylinder need a new gasket ?

Ta

Also qd fuel hobbies are plastic seem to recall seeing something about replacing with metal or am I mistaken
TA

Now here is the question
Slave cylinder (bit inside gearbox was covered in oil as was pushrod down to the seal is that okay? no sign of any brake fluid leaking though.
The input shaft seal (output end) in the gearbox needs replacing. The small one down in the slave cylinder tunnel.

Speaking to the guru, seems gearbox bearings are sealed to prevent swarf from gear wear knackering them.
Whine appears to be from needle bearings on layshaft, which aren't sealed and do get a dose of swarf.
I'm happy to admit I was wrong about bearings running in oil. ....... Still crap design putting needle roller bearings in a gearbox.

I've got no idea what's wrong with your gearbox but I love the picture of the dog, is it yours?

Back
Top Bottom