£20 per plug !?????

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I popped into a Guzzi dealer today to pick up an oil filter and whilst there I though i'd just get some new plugs too as I knew they were slightly unusual and the place doing my servicing doesn't stock them.

The extremely helpful parts fella checked to see what they were because I couldn't remember and he said oooh that'll be them fancy Laser Platinum Iridium jobbies. ...got your credit card with you?...they are £20 each and if yours is the twin spark then that's £80 please:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well luckily when they changed to a 4valve head they went to one plug per head but even so I was somewhat shocked at the price and was only putting them in on a whim as they dont need replacing per se.

It turns out the plugs are used in a couple of Moto Guzzis and then mainly Lamborghinis and Maseratis...I wouldn't want to have to buy 12 of the buggers:eek:

Anyhow I think its off to the local motor factors because as they'll sell a lot more plugs than a motorcycle dealer I reckon they will be paying a lot less for them too.:thumb

I popped into a Guzzi dealer today to pick up an oil filter and whilst there I though i'd just get some new plugs too as I knew they were slightly unusual and the place doing my servicing doesn't stock them.

The extremely helpful parts fella checked to see what they were because I couldn't remember and he said oooh that'll be them fancy Laser Platinum Iridium jobbies. ...got your credit card with you?...they are £20 each and if yours is the twin spark then that's £80 please:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well luckily when they changed to a 4valve head they went to one plug per head but even so I was somewhat shocked at the price and was only putting them in on a whim as they dont need replacing per se.

It turns out the plugs are used in a couple of Moto Guzzis and then mainly Lamborghinis and Maseratis...I wouldn't want to have to buy 12 of the buggers:eek:

Anyhow I think its off to the local motor factors because as they'll sell a lot more plugs than a motorcycle dealer I reckon they will be paying a lot less for them too.:thumb

Eurocarparts always get my plugs, not got one of those fancy guzzi's though, just a breva 1100 and a Le mans:thumb

I'll bet there's absolutely no real need for them.

Just stick whatever equivalent 'ordinary' NGK plug suits it.

Thats what I thought but I've looked in the NGK guide too and they give a couple of options (standard & normal iridium) for the earlier 2 valve but ONLY these Laser Platinum Iridium for the 4valve.

:thumb

Thats what I thought but I've looked in the NGK guide too and they give a couple of options (standard & normal iridium) for the earlier 2 valve but ONLY these Laser Platinum Iridium for the 4valve.

:thumb

Sell the fecking thing, as a mate and because I love you there's £1500 I have spare to help you out........mate :augie

Sell the fecking thing, as a mate and because I love you there's £1500 I have spare to help you out........mate :augie

Clearly i'm going to get no sympathy from those on here who mostly live in the rarified World Of BMW ...£12k+ bikes, £350 Led lights and optional ESA suspension for £2k.

Its being serviced tomorrow so how about £1500 for the bike and you pick up the £3000 for the service ?.....thats delivered to your door BTW..:p

It turns out the plugs are used in a couple of Moto Guzzis and then mainly Lamborghinis and Maseratis...

The pub bragging rights for that fact alone has to be worth £40 :blagblah:D

I believe Honda VFR plugs are a similar price and you do need four

Absolutely agree :beerjug:

Thre are only a few reasons why you need special plugs

Need a fatter spark
Heat range
Strange thread

The Guzzi ain't no Lamborghini so unless it has a special thread I would put any plug that fits from a similar sized / compression ratio engine

It would not surprise me if Lamborghini were chucking out some old plugs and Guzzi just fished them out of the dust cart

I had an issue with my 1200 Sport and it started misfiring then wouldn't fire at all. I thought the coil had gone but tried a new plug (the original plug had done less than 1000 miles). I got mine for £30 for 2 so a bargain :D:D:D

It was a dodgy plug even though it looks brand new. The mechanic who suggested it says more and more plugs are the issue due to the additives in the fuel although I'm not 100% convinced myself.

I'd be interested in how you 'recondition' a plug apart from cleaning it.:rob

Back
Top Bottom