1100GS rear brake pad retaining pin

dunnie

Reaction score
Folks.... I'm trying to install new rear pads in the old girl but the retaining pin is well and truly seized. The pads in there at the moment have plenty of life left but as I've a new pair sat here I thought I'd pop them in, I just can't get the pin out.
Any ideas??? I might wait til the current pads are knackered then remove the caliper and heat the thing up..... Or is that a bad idea...

Kind regards
:thumby::bow:nenau

Remove tiny c-clip from outside face end and then with a suitable sized drift tap from that side towards wheel side. It's held in place by a spring clip type thing in the other end which may take a little bit of force to overcome, it's actually part of the pin which sits in a recess in the caliper body on the other side. Try a little bit of penetrating fluid {do not get this on pads or disc!} or brake cleaner to try and get rid of the build up of crud!
Best of luck!:thumb

I've not seen a C clip, just a little chrome split pin thing, then there is a sprung tin plate that sits under the pads!!
:type

If you have an 1100 with the rear caliper that has BREMBO on the side then post 4 is correct.
The front calipers have a mini r-clip type thing which goes through a hole in the pin, but the rear has the little c shape circlip.
Maybe somebody has botched something up on yours:nenau

If you have an 1100 with the rear caliper that has BREMBO on the side then post 4 is correct.
The front calipers have a mini r-clip type thing which goes through a hole in the pin, but the rear has the little c shape circlip.
Maybe somebody has botched something up on yours:nenau

This is bang on. The C clip is so small it might be invisible under the crud. Once you've cleaned it and removed it, if the pin is still seized, repeated taps with a hammer and punch will get it out. Even on my high mileage snotter, which never, ever gets cleaned I can always get the pin out.

Once it's out, you might find it cleans up OK with a bit of wet and dry.

Back
Top Bottom