Decent bit of cake in the Dales?

Nutty

Reaction score
Off to the Dales on Saturday, so where can we get a decent cream tea, or bit of cake somewhere near Horton in Ribblesdale/ Settle/ Rylstone?

Settle ..... Naked Man (or Poppies tea room which is just round the back):D
A65 towards Skipton, up towards Grassington (B1606) go past towards Kinsley, then at Bukden (near turn for Hubberholme) theres a café. Choice take Hubberholme turn and the fell road across to Hawes (comes into Hawes past entrance for Wenslydale cheese factory), or go up to Aysgarth (B1606) where you can visit the falls and café :), then onto Hawes (A684). from Hawes
(option 1) head for Ribblehead then either straight back to Settle or onto Ingleton and back to Settle. :beerjug:
Option 2 is head up over Buttertubs pass and onto Tan Hill Inn (not recommended for food, by me anyway), turn left towards Kirkby Stephen and have a coffee at Takoda Camping, back down from there to Devils Bridge (Kirkby Longsdale) Bikers meeting place, Avoid at busy time unless you mix with power rangers :hide

I'm sure that Elle, amongst others, will tell you as well ..... BMW, The Dales and the next door Lakes are made for "adventure" :thumby::thumby::thumby:bikes.

PS .... You must try the local fruit cake and Wenslydale as well as Curd Tart:aidan:beerjug::beer:, but beware Yorkshire portions :) :D:rob

Settle ..... Naked Man (or Poppies tea room which is just round the back):D
A65 towards Skipton, up towards Grassington (B1606) go past towards Kinsley, then at Bukden (near turn for Hubberholme) theres a café. Choice take Hubberholme turn and the fell road across to Hawes (comes into Hawes past entrance for Wenslydale cheese factory), or go up to Aysgarth (B1606) where you can visit the falls and café :), then onto Hawes (A684). from Hawes
(option 1) head for Ribblehead then either straight back to Settle or onto Ingleton and back to Settle. :beerjug:
Option 2 is head up over Buttertubs pass and onto Tan Hill Inn (not recommended for food, by me anyway), turn left towards Kirkby Stephen and have a coffee at Takoda Camping, back down from there to Devils Bridge (Kirkby Longsdale) Bikers meeting place, Avoid at busy time unless you mix with power rangers :hide

I'm sure that Elle, amongst others, will tell you as well ..... BMW, The Dales and the next door Lakes are made for "adventure" :thumby::thumby::thumby:bikes.

PS .... You must try the local fruit cake and Wenslydale as well as Curd Tart:aidan:beerjug::beer:, but beware Yorkshire portions :) :D:rob

Great, I'll have a look on the map. We're aiming to be at Wensleydale around lunchtime, so will be ready for some cake by the time we get to the bottom of the Dales.:thumb

Now, tell me about these Yorkshire portions:D

Kettlewell

Tea rooms opposite the main car park

Nice home made scones and cakes and a nice outside seating area to watch the bikers go past:thumby:

....turn left towards Kirkby Stephen and have a coffee at Takoda Camping...
I was camping at Takoda last weekend & unfortunately Maria & Paul have closed their all day cafe because it meant someone had to be permanently around "just in case" & it was too restrictive. So they no longer offer all-day breakfast butties or drinks. However, it is open for campers in the morning so if you're out for an early morning ride it may be worth calling to see if they'll reserve you a sausage or two :)

Depending on what dales your going to be in, if it's Swaledale go to the Tea rooms in Muker and in Wensleydale go to Berry's at Swinithwaite near Leyburn. Both are good, at Berry's park on the road down to the cafe as a lot of the car park is gravel.

...at Berry's park on the road down to the cafe as a lot of the car park is gravel.
I hate gravel car parks but that does seem a bit OTT - I went in April (in torrential rain) with a bunch of girls and they managed to get their sportier bikes in the car park :augie
Unless it has recently changed, the large parking area to the right is fairly flat, has less gravel and better to ride on :)

Blimey! There must be more info here about cream teas than the BMW Club...

+1 for the Naked man cafe in Settle :thumb

The Cafe at Kinsley Park is ok too. And you can always spend an hour or two casting a fly.

Cafe

Try fiezer, it's just north of settle, every f,,,, passes it on the boring A65, well worth a visit, only one cafe there not difficult to locate..

So ..... Where is the best bit of cake you found? :D:beerjug:

After all that, we had cake at the Wensleydale creamery.:blast Followed by sandwiches (they had to make the sandwiches, we were hungry so had the cake while we waited:D), and then sampled EVERY type of cheese. We were still stuffed by mid afternoon, so didn't stop anywhere else.:blast:tears

After all that, we had cake at the Wensleydale creamery.:blast Followed by sandwiches (they had to make the sandwiches, we were hungry so had the cake while we waited:D), and then sampled EVERY type of cheese. We were still stuffed by mid afternoon, so didn't stop anywhere else.:blast:tears

There's gratitude for you :)

Back
Top Bottom