What's the best Dakar, X Challenge or Sertao

Mr Twisty

Reaction score
Ok Wise People

What's the best for me and why, looking to downsize to a dual purpose bike use will be 80% road 20% trail.

6 ft. 1 and been riding on road for 20 years and trail for only 1

Done with hooning around so as long as the bike is brisk enough up to 70 ithat will do foe me

Cheers

Phil

X-challenge, no contest. Fantastic dual bike

No. The X-challenge is pretty hardcore towards offroad. You'll be better off on a Dakar or even a 650gs. You'll also be far more comfortable.

Xcountry (2007 ish) gets my vote :thumb

Exceptionally well made and put together ... lorra lorra fun :thumb

A future classic?

:beerjug:

Throw in some bling, like remapping at Hilltop Engineering, Wilbers forks springs and rear suspension unit, Akropovic Titanium exhaust and you have hours of fun :D

L1000898-L.jpg

Having had several Dakars, now a challenge and mate with sertao, of your options I would go with the Dakar or sertao for better on road comfort, though I use my challenge for local roadwork also.

I agree with mickey, in that the country is a v good option for more road oriented use if you can find one (mate has one which he is thinking of selling, though he is dithering a lot!). Also does the trails if you want it to.

Other newer option maybe the husqvarna te 650 terra? New at £4700 last time I checked. A bargain if you have a gap to fill!

Other newer option maybe the husqvarna te 650 terra? New at £4700 last time I checked. A bargain if you have a gap to fill!

:thumb2
A decent X-challenge will be £3k+, and Sertao or Dakar models fetch good money too, so with the Husky Terra, you can have a brand new bike with road/trail potential for under £5k, and there may be one or two bikes for less than the price GFJ has quoted above.
The Terra with the 18" rear wheel has no ABS, this is the cheaper of the two Terra models available and has more trail bias.

Has the Tera not been discontinued now that KTM own Husqvarna, (bmw have sold to Ktm?)

Has the Tera not been discontinued now that KTM own Husqvarna, (bmw have sold to Ktm?)

Yes, thus the discounts. Still have 2 year warranty, and the Husky dealers are to remain Husky (It's Husaberg that has got the chop instead).

80% road

Go for the Sertao.......It's just an updated Dakar with new instruments and front end styling, everything else is the same. Better fuel economy with the slightly smaller 14 litre tank giving 70-80mpg. The engine has been updated too and now has 48bhp. The Sertao is a more modern looking bike than the Dakar and suits taller riders.

It's got longer legs than the other options you've listed and its more comfortable. Easily cruises at 70mph, can carry a heavy load and is still good offroad.

Dakars/ X Challenge and X Country's are expensive at £3.5K for an 07 whereas you can buy a new Sertao with ABS and heated grips for just under £6k and a good second hand 12 for £4.8k

Now't wrong with your options either!:thumb

FP.

Attachments

• Sertao ADV Topbox! 002.jpg
    Sertao ADV Topbox! 002.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,591
  • Sertao ADV Topbox! 008.jpg
    Sertao ADV Topbox! 008.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 2,538
Although if a discontinued bike like the dakar/xchallenge/xcountry are still fetching good money, doesn't that tell you something about how good they are?

I use my xchallenge for everything but it is heavily modified. Ideal cruiser and great off road.

Although if a discontinued bike like the dakar/xchallenge/xcountry are still fetching good money, doesn't that tell you something about how good they are?

I use my xchallenge for everything but it is heavily modified. Ideal cruiser and great off road.

Perhaps X series owners have more money than sense?, that said, I don't think 3.5k is a lot to spend on such a nice bike, what are the options at this price point?. It seams that the old F series are selling for similar amounts that the X series are going for.

I'm happy with my X Country, just wish it had a bigger fuel tank.

Dakar or sertao:thumb

Brilliant bike. Handles the tarmac brill and will trail well as long as you can cope with the weight. The only bike I regret selling:blast

xchallenge best of lot

but for all road the dakar has nicer seat

dont go f650gs go dakar as your tall so will find it low

Dakar or sertao:thumb

Brilliant bike. Handles the tarmac brill and will trail well as long as you can cope with the weight. The only bike I regret selling:blast

Where is it flip? That swing arm is rare as hens teeth. Would love to add it to my Dakar... :D

Ive had an X challenge and thought it was fantastic Offorad nimble enough to stay with DRZ's on the tough stuff then faster in the not so
Ive just bought a Sertao to do a bit of everything on

x challenge all the way i had one it was great fun and i give it death. i had a xcountry for a day and it was terrible . i am 6ft 2" and the bike is tiny like a monkey bike you defo wont like it at all

x challenge all the way i had one it was great fun and i give it death. i had a xcountry for a day and it was terrible . i am 6ft 2" and the bike is tiny like a monkey bike you defo wont like it at all

I found the opposite :)

6'2 & love the XCountry after 5 years with a Xchallenge

More manageable, better seat & screen & easy to add Xchallenge suspension if necessary

Good for trailriding, but no Enduro bike

i think it would be good for trail riding but the xchallenge with 75mm bar risers was awesome for me i felt uncomfortable on the xcountry because of the lack of height

Back
Top Bottom