What's it worth? 850GS

Dave T

Reaction score
2000 "W" reg, 19k miles, in a dealers, described as 'extremely clean'. BM panniers, GIVI top box, taxed and tested.
They want £3700 which I think is maybe a tad rich, but I need to part-ex my XT660, so it has to be from a dealer... otherwise I'd be looking at the two lovely R1100GSs that I've seen for sale privately. I can't sell the XT then go looking for a bike as I need it to get to work and can't be without a bike...
Thoughts?

That's more than a tad rich.... I'd say for a decent 1100 maybe £2800 to £3000 tops these days but an 850 has a lot less appeal so £2400 to £2750 maybe. Having said that the 850 has everything the 1100 has except absolute top end which you can rarely use anyway.... if it bothers you , you can change the stickers on the tank and no one would ever know ;) The 850 is a very fine under rated motor.

The problem is finding another with that sort of mileage. Personally I reckon that if it comes with a decent warranty from a dealer that is probably a fair starting price. The problem you have is that he has you by the balls as you are trading in.

Perhaps, you should consider how much you need to find to part exchange, and have that figure fixed in your mind.
I paid £4999 for my 12000 mile 850GS, which sounds ridiculous, but in reality I part exchanged a low milage Dakar and paid £500 to get the bike I wanted.

Let the flogging begin....:D

If the bike feels right go for it. You can always find cheaper and also more expensive but everybody's position is different personally I always part ex my bikes at a dealer as it saves all the hassle of selling your bike and you always have come back to a dealer if anything goes wrong with your new bike.

Just my thoughts

As it has been put on here already I firmly believe that YOU should decide if your deal is ok, some bikes are priced a lot lower and some bikes will be priced higher, you know what your happy with and you shouldn't let our opinions sway you if your happy and your getting the bike you want then that's all that matters, I recently went from a 1200 back to my favourite 1150 some of my mates don't understand it but in three weeks I've put more miles on the 1150 than I had on my 1200 in two years I've already put 352 miles on it so I firmly believe that it's down to you
Judgeged

Last edited:
850 GS

Is this 850 the one for sale at Stafford motorcycles Dave? If so IMHO all of their bikes are considerably overpriced,if you compare models with other dealers bikes they seem to like quite a mark up.

Is this 850 the one for sale at Stafford motorcycles Dave? If so IMHO all of their bikes are considerably overpriced,if you compare models with other dealers bikes they seem to like quite a mark up.

That's the one... was hoping to see it this weekend, but had to put it off till Fri..
Thanks for the heads up though :beerjug:

Bloody hell, I better not say what I paid for my 850 4 years ago on 22k, or worse, what I was going to let my mate have it for earlier this year with 40k now on it.
£3700 is taking the P.
Retracted said offer after my 1150 failed the other week, def keeping it now, especially as its the only reliable Beemer I've had.

.... if it bothers you , you can change the stickers on the tank and no one would ever know ;) The 850 is a very fine under rated motor.

Or just stick a baglux on it like I have.

Most people that see mine, especially those that have been out with me for a ride, are surprised when they hear its only an 850.

Seems a lot to me too, especially in relation to what I got for mine two years ago. It was in great condition and had a lot of Touratech stuff on it too, including panniers.

I note also that it was originally registered abroad. If you do want to buy I'd check that it's a full power model as some were restricted.

8 fiddly

Dave,did you go look at the 850GS in Stafford? If not and your still in the market for a Gs then PM me as may have something of interest for you,Rgds Paul.

Dave,did you go look at the 850GS in Stafford? If not and your still in the market for a Gs then PM me as may have something of interest for you,Rgds Paul.

Hey Paul,
Haven't gone to look (yet!) as life's kinda got in the way this last week... still after something though. Would love to PM you but can't as you don't appear to be a subscribed member? ;) If you subscribed, you could even PM me!!!
Interested in what you have that might be of interest though as you're much closer than Stafford....

Last edited:
I`m going to sell my 1100 ...

Post edited by MattW
Sorry Rockeye but if you're going to sell a bike on here then you need to be a subscriber and post in the correct section. The same goes for PM'ing someone to offer it to them...

Back
Top Bottom