Shipping Moyorcycle into Lima Peru

Mick King

Reaction score
Can anybody Help?

I'm planning a month long trip from Lima Peru to Buenos Aires Argentina in mid December, taking in a couple of stages of the Dakar on route.

The problem I've got is although getting the bike out of Buenos Aires seems straight forward enough, I'm getting a lot of mixed reports about shipping the bike into Lima, lots of red tape etc.

What I need to know is: :nenau
Has anybody had any experience of shipping into Lima, Peru?
Can anybody recommend a shipping company and/or agent?
If Lima is a no go can anybody recommend a better destination in northern South America.

Can anybody Help?

I'm planning a month long trip from Lima Peru to Buenos Aires Argentina in mid December, taking in a couple of stages of the Dakar on route.

The problem I've got is although getting the bike out of Buenos Aires seems straight forward enough, I'm getting a lot of mixed reports about shipping the bike into Lima, lots of red tape etc.

What I need to know is: :nenau
Has anybody had any experience of shipping into Lima, Peru?
Can anybody recommend a shipping company and/or agent?
If Lima is a no go can anybody recommend a better destination in northern South America.

Mick

My shipper shudders when I even mention South America:eek James Cargo are probably your best option here although you have probably tried them?

Thanks Chris,

It seems once your out there the borders aren't too bad.

It's just getting you bike in and out of South America.

I've heard that Guayaquil in Ecuador might be easier. :nenau

Thanks Chris,

It seems once your out there the borders aren't too bad.

It's just getting you bike in and out of South America.

I've heard that Guayaquil in Ecuador might be easier. :nenau

I would be interested to know how you get on Mick as I have plans.......;) Let me know if I can help.

Ship to Buenos Aires by air. Speak to Sandra at Dakar Motors to help (for a fee) to get it out of Customs. Sandra will get your insurance for you in advance of the Customs clearance. You may have to give a sweetner to the Customs man to help things along. Peru is even more corrupt. Chile is not corrupt.

Shipped my bike from Guayaquil equador to London with Hellmann logistics
And my mate used the same company to fly his bike from Santiago chile to Madrid.
Think they ship to bogata Columbia as well, give them a call

Ship to Buenos Aires by air. Speak to Sandra at Dakar Motors to help (for a fee) to get it out of Customs. Sandra will get your insurance for you in advance of the Customs clearance. You may have to give a sweetner to the Customs man to help things along. Peru is even more corrupt. Chile is not corrupt.

Your alive then? I heard you had been handcuffed to the bed.

glad you're still in the land of the living then:aidan

I would be interested to know how you get on Mick as I have plans.......;) Let me know if I can help.

Thanks Chris,

Have contacted James Cargo who will fly the bike into Guayaquil, Ecuador and Fly out of Buenos Aires for £1650 each way.

I don't mind flying the bike in as I feel there is more of a guarantee of the bike being there in time.
But I'd prefer to ship out of Argentina to save money.

I've also emailed Dakar Motos and I'm just waiting for a reply.

I've just had Mikro from Gravel Road Logistics in touch.

Has anybody ever used them for shipping?

I'm also in contact with Jerry Truman from Compass expeditions about hiring a Bmw R1200gs.
And it is working out to be around the same price.

Thanks for everybody's information. bier

I haven't even looked at how long it is going to take to get the bike through customs at the Ecuador end but it appears that your I would have to be in Buenos Aires for four days prior to shipping.

As I've only got a month and I want to take in a couple of stages of the Dakar I think I'm going to hire a GS from Compass Expeditions.

The hire price isn't that much different to shipping and Jerry from CE seems to have a good local knowledge.

Thanks for everybody's information. bier

I haven't even looked at how long it is going to take to get the bike through customs at the Ecuador end but it appears that your I would have to be in Buenos Aires for four days prior to shipping.

I flew my bike from Panama to Quito in Ecuador a few years back and it took about three working days to get it out. The guy I was travelling with though only took 1! Apparently one of the 5 signatories was a judge and she had decided to go home early on the Friday....after signing my mates papers! :mad:

Lima is a nightmare. Took another friend of mine around 6 weeks to get his bike & "personal effects" out. They have made an art form of red tape and if their customs officials make a mistake that is your problem, not theirs! Drove him and I almost nuts! Peru though is a great country to visit so don't let that put anybody off travelling through there.

Back
Top Bottom