final drive rebuild how-to?

cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
i'm sure steptoe did one of these, but i am having some difficulty finding it. anyone got a link?

ta :beerjug:

I'm not sure he has done one.

There is a leaking input shaft seal and the big bearing replacement in the sticky section. But I can't find a complete final drive rebuild/overhaull thread.

I used the manual and this link http://www.largiader.com/ some good specific knowledge.

There are some videos on youtube, to help understand the mechanical assembly.

:thumb2

maybe i'm mistaken?

there's a gap waiting to be filled then :)

saw that one, but it seems more of a roadside fix guide?

i was looking for something that explained better how to get behind the bearing to get it off, and more detail on shimming.

i was looking for something that explained better how to get behind the bearing to get it off, and more detail on shimming.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some FD rebuild stuff on ADV in more of a workshop situation (although I'm afraid I can't remember where). There's also a mad, weirdly edited video of a Merkin doing a FD rebuild including the shimming. A link to that has been posted on here too.

Edit: the weird Merkin stuff may well be what Ian posted above but they're just black screens with sound on my iPad...

I got the video on safari, but it had no sound. I've now managed to download it and It plays with sound in VLC player.

I'll check it out later. It's quite long and the size of a postage stamp.

Slim plated bearing extractor.
Or the crude method, a small blunt bolster in the small gap and whack it, then increase the thickness of your instruments until it can be tapped off.

Shimming is simple if you've a spare housing with an aperture cut out allowing you to measure the gap. :D

thanks for that. i have a bolster :D

i'm replacing a bearing in a drive that has done 30K + so i would have thought the original shimming was ok.

do you think it's worth faffing about trying to check it, or just put it back together?

F.D.

Bearings are high presion tings so should not need changing if correct to start with, various posts on here about this.

Bearings are high presion tings so should not need changing if correct to start with

Cookie probably knows this :D
However there's no guarantee that the factory shimming is correct to start with. That said, without a cutaway FD like Steptoe, the diy shimming procedure in the video above seems a bit hit and miss - I'd probably just put it back together if it's lasted 30000.
Others may disagree ;)

not actually sure how a cutaway cover is used. but if you are checking the distance between the bearing and the modded cover somehow, that would rely on the two covers being machined identically wouldn't it?

i'll probably just bang it back together. if i have time i might set up a dial gauge on it to see what sort of readings i can get measuring the end float sans shim in the cause of research :)

not actually sure how a cutaway cover is used. but if you are checking the distance between the bearing and the modded cover somehow, that would rely on the two covers being machined identically wouldn't it?

The covers vary less than the different makes of bearings and the way it was originally shimmed.

The covers vary less than the different makes of bearings and the way it was originally shimmed.

Is that really true? I would have expected bearing manufacturers to work to pretty tight, internationally recognised tolerances. Tighter tolerances than those used to make a motorbike final drive (hence the shims). But hey, what do I know....

Mick

livin' the dream

Is that really true? I would have expected bearing manufacturers to work to pretty tight, internationally recognised tolerances. Tighter tolerances than those used to make a motorbike final drive (hence the shims). But hey, what do I know....

Mick

livin' the dream

Most definitely.

I'll mic up the old and new bearings and see.

I'd be interested to hear what you find and how the job goes - I'm sure it'll be a task I have in my future at some point.

Back
Top Bottom