appropriate clothing

hodge1150

Reaction score
Heres my mate Chris (Indian) and I (red panther) setting off to the Bridge Rats rally. Bloody good do. Both machines ran superbly, first kick every time.
I know im not wearing full Dianese stuff, but to be honest Ive travelled faster on my Pushbike than the Panther, and its important to look the part (like an idiot)
:beerjug:

Attachments

• 269.jpg
    269.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 350
What year is the Red Panther???

I have a 1931 M50 (the heavyweight sloper - not the later Villiers-engined two-stroke :D) that I'm in the process of restoring. Its going to be a labour of love.

Its a long time since I've ridden something with girder forks and a solid rear end :rob.

Are you in the Panther Owners' Club ?? (I seem to belong to more clubs than I can shake a stick at - maybe I should keep to one marque :D).

Good to see it on the road - and the Indian :thumb.

Bob.

its a 1937 with a 1938 (I think) engine and a later 4 speed gearbox, although some of the ears periodically go awol but generally return when theyve had a rest. Its superb to ride, light, manouverable and fun...so far very reliable though I only do a couple of local rallies a year. Always starts first kick.
Its not original but bits have been replaced over the years as they have worn out etc but who cares as long as its fun.:clap

its a 1937 with a 1938 (I think) engine and a later 4 speed gearbox, although some of the gears periodically go awol but generally return when they've had a rest.

Does it have a Sturmey Archer gearbox stuffed with Mobil "Gargoil" heavy oil/grease???

The stuff looks like grease at first glance but its actually a heavy oil that moves. It doesn't produce empty 'tracks' that one gets with a grease-box.

I imagine that might cause some trouble with gear selection, particularly on a cold day.

My '31 model has a three-speed hand-change Sturmey Archer LS240 box. It will be interesting to see how it performs (when I've finished restoring it).

Bob.

it says in the `manual` put grease in the gearbox ??? so I did. Shit changes.

2nd attempt I put GL5 in the box (if its good enough for the 1150....) and it all ran out within a week, but the changes were good (first gear even made an appearance and I had the added bonus of being able to change (involuntarily) from 2nd to 4th.

now its a mixture of grease, gl5 and fairy dust. Doesnt matter any way, it all pisses out when the engines warm.
Basically, if you find a gear, stick with it as long as you can. Only change if absolutely necessary, and if you get another gear thank your lucky stars (remember all this is happening well below 40 mph). And laugh like a drain in the process:thumb2

OMG, you'll have all the "So your head is only worth 50p" lot dripping on in a minute. And as for those legs.....:eek:

Back
Top Bottom