Mounting Garming GPSMAP 295

Cheesy Mike

I have a GPSMAP 295 which is an aviation specific unit. However it is identical (I think in size & mounting to the Streetpilot 3) It takes the same datacards and Mapsource software so it is great for street use as well.

What is the best place to mount it on the R1150GS?

Where is the best place to buy a mounting bracket? I guess I'll need one as the aircraft yoke mount doesn't look too clever tacked onto a bike.

Should I route a cable down to the power socket or fit a new power socket? (Dealer price for doing this is frightening)

I get my GS later this week and once it is run in and had its first service I'm planning to take a few days off and do a big road trip. :)

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

I've got my SPIII mounted on a Touratech bracket on the handlebar cross-brace, centered on the left handlebar bracket. I fitted a Garmin power lead, which I got from GPS Warehouse, and had it wired to a permanent live, to avoid using the AA batteries when 'engine off'. System works very well (so far!)

MikeO

GPS Warehouse: 0208 893 9393
Bracken: 020 7232 1814; touratech@bracken.co.uk:)

MIKE OUGHTON said:
Mike,

I've got my SPIII mounted on a Touratech bracket on the handlebar cross-brace, centered on the left handlebar bracket. I fitted a Garmin power lead, which I got from GPS Warehouse, and had it wired to a permanent live, to avoid using the AA batteries when 'engine off'. System works very well (so far!)

Thanks. I just posted off a query to Bracken and to Garmin
to double check that the two units are identical. Then I'll
order the Touratech bracket. I looked at it on the website
and it looks nice.

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

forgot to say, when I was at the NEC, I saw that Touratech now make a locking version of the bracket (mine is just held on by a spring clip & a knurled bolt). I think it's about £80, although, if you're anything like me, you'll want to remove the unit if you feel it's under threat....

MikeO:)

MIKE OUGHTON said:
Mike,

forgot to say, when I was at the NEC, I saw that Touratech now make a locking version of the bracket (mine is just held on by a spring clip & a knurled bolt). I think it's about £80, although, if you're anything like me, you'll want to remove the unit if you feel it's under threat....

Mike - Thanks.

I see from your profile that you are an airfield manager in Norfolk. Which airfield? I did my pilot training at Little Gransden near Cambridge and flew all over Norfolk. No flying now :-( Came down to a choice between flying or riding and the bikes won (for now). Still at least I'll be doing the riding on a GS :)

Mike

mikebelch said:

I see from your profile that you are an airfield manager in Norfolk. Which airfield?

F**king great big one - Marham:D

Incidentally, my folks live just down the road from you in Axbridge. I might be down in that neck of the woods towards the end of next week if you fancy meeting up for a pint and talking banter (or is that bollox....)

MIKE OUGHTON said:

F**king great big one - Marham:D

Incidentally, my folks live just down the road from you in Axbridge. I might be down in that neck of the woods towards the end of next week if you fancy meeting up for a pint and talking banter (or is that bollox....)

Oh a real airfield, not a toy one!

Get in contact. By the end of next week I should be the proud owner of a black GS if Cahoot get their fingers out. Email me mike@mikebelch.com - I'm right in the centre of Cheddar near the Bath Arms.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom