K60s swapped for Anakee3s

IainMac

Reaction score
Whilst the S10 was in for its 1st MoT I had a set of Anakee 3s fitted .
I'd covered 5K miles on the K60s and they had about 3~5mm front tread left (knobs to the side of centre worn more) and about 2mm in the centre rear (with shedloads left on the sides), overall I didn't really like the K60s as they were very vibey, didn't grip tar that well (wet or dry, lots of T/C light action) and didn't like uk green lane mud that much either spinning the rear or pushing front . Wear rate on the rear seemed to drop off as the miles increased so it may have gone another +1kmiles more but the handling was well off with the front following the slightest road surface ridge and the rear was as square as a car tyre so cornering wasn't fun.

Another limiting trait the K60s seemed to have was they didn't like higher speeds where a bar shimmy was only a twist of a throttle away, it felt like a full tank slapper would follow with ease. Maxing out the air pressures reduced this but didn't eliminate , so ended up with tyre imposed speed limiter that was way lower than their speed rating. The front also never stayed inflated for much more than a week, no punctures and a bead re-seat/new valve didn't solve this one.
So overall a big thumbs down to the K60s from me.

As to the Anakee3s, new tyre novelty aside (only covered about 15miles sofar on the A3s) they feel great, cornering is easy and no more vibey ride , K60s always made me wonder if the final drive was about to fall apart. Hopefully they'll keep me on the straight, curvy and narrow.

PS it passed its Mot as well.

Just fitted pilot road3 trails, cracking tyre bike feels really smooth grip seems great.

I needed some semblance of off road grip to get it into my garage when its been wet as the entrance is up a grass/mud bank that had the oem EXP rear sliding sideways (a few extra groove extensions to the rear tread fixed that). Hope the A3s grooves will give the bite needed or I may need to resort to winching it in or get some tar down/take a run at it.

I've just changed to A3's, and rate them, however, there was a hum at around 40mph, which seems to have either disappeared, or I've got used to it.

I've heard a few people say that they can't get rid of the chicken strips completely, but now mine are scrubbed in, I'll be proving that theory wrong!:green gri Or at least trying.:blast:D

I've just changed to A3's, and rate them, however, there was a hum at around 40mph, which seems to have either disappeared, or I've got used to it.

I've heard a few people say that they can't get rid of the chicken strips completely, but now mine are scrubbed in, I'll be proving that theory wrong!:green gri Or at least trying.:blast:D

MCN couldn't get rid of 10mm of chicken strip on a track day with pegs and centre stand scraping so good luck!
It's a strange profile - Conti 2 scrubbed to very edge but can't get A3 to edge. I think you can on the smaller sized version for the non-WC GS.

MCN couldn't get rid of 10mm of chicken strip on a track day with pegs and centre stand scraping so good luck!
It's a strange profile - Conti 2 scrubbed to very edge but can't get A3 to edge. I think you can on the smaller sized version for the non-WC GS.

That's interesting. I'm down to about 10mm, and was really trying at the weekend, so that makes me feel a bit better!:D

On my first set of Metzer Tourance EXP. I have to say, i think they are a GREAT tyre. I ride haqrd the odd time, sliders down in bends, they grip great. Stable and reassuiring in the rain too, regardless how heavy. For a big bike id recommend them, 110% !!

They are at the end of their life now, 6500 mls aint bad.

May try out these Anakee 3's. Seem to get good reviews.

I dont get too much off-road, been wanting to but dont know the routes.

On my first set of Metzer Tourance EXP. I have to say, i think they are a GREAT tyre. I ride haqrd the odd time, sliders down in bends, they grip great. Stable and reassuiring in the rain too, regardless how heavy. For a big bike id recommend them, 110% !!

They are at the end of their life now, 6500 mls aint bad.

May try out these Anakee 3's. Seem to get good reviews.

I dont get too much off-road, been wanting to but dont know the routes.

I'd agree the Tourance EXPs are good road tyres, though I think you don't realise how good they are until you swap to something else, Downsides were they can wear pretty fast and only got 3.5Kmiles out of the rear on mine, upside is they gripped in the shittiest road conditions I've ridden in with the T/C only lighting up when unloaded, including sub zero Hoare frost covered A and B Roads. But I believe Tyres are like women and you need to try more than just one model to be able broaden your horizons and skills :)
Tourance EXP: Efficient Teutonic German high class bird
Heidenhau K60 : Burly eastern European female shot putter
Mich Anakee III : French Seductress?

I use Continental Trial Attacks, had them on my GSA and now on my S10, can't fault them for road use and only off roaded in the dry along fire tracks with no probs :thumb2

A3's wont be a patch on K60's off-road, but should work great on tarmac.

Just used Roadsmart 2's for Alps tour, far more grip than I could use, profile goes around more than Tourance EXP's so despite more lean on Alpine twists I have even bigger chicken strips:blast

I had no ground clearance issues, but my Wilburs shock with 30 turns of pre-load sits about 20mm higher than the OE shock did on full pre-load, combined with a 10mm riser link and the stiffer spring / better damping ground clearance was never an issue - on the OE shock two up ground clearance was very limited.

If I lean any more it will be on the completely slick edge of the tyre, dunno if this is why they feel so good, but the more I lean the better they feel, certainly feel better than the Tourances, however they never gave me any real problems, just did not "feel" so planted at my limits.

These things are wearing really well with loads left at 3500 two-up miles, although the 600 mile motorway blast home squared them off a bit.

Back
Top Bottom