Is it me or is BMW clothing not warm?

Dave Hall

Reaction score
I have a Savanna Jacket & trousers with gortex liner and these past few weeks I`ve been that cold that I`ve put them away and have took to wearing my old Shoei suit..It`s a lot warmer.
The BMW stuff is great in summer with all those opening vents (just got make sure the mouse dont fall out the house)

Dave

I have the same kit and wholeheartedly agree!

During our recent trip to the Sahara, I elected to wear the BMW kit rather than my leathers (thinking that the weather would be a bit warm). On the whole, I froze my butt off and had to wear my wet-weather oversuit much of the time just to keep warm.

The BMW kit is now reserved for summer rides.

:(

Greg

I've been waiting for the BMW clothing sales at the end of the year, thinking of a Rallye suit or similar, but not sure now. I rida all year round. Is it really that bad? Shouldn't be 'cos it's bloody expensive. Comments appreciated.

Darren......Its that bad I`ve had to wear tracky bottoms and a fleece underneath. The Shoei suit has removeable quilted liners and it`s much warmer. Having said that in the summer the BM kit is brill.

There are a couple of decent solutions to this. One is to get yourself the BMW undersuit. About £80 of high tec thermals to keep you cool when its hot and warm when its cold. They protect against windchill as well. I got a Hein Gericke Shelltex liner (jacket & pants for £30). This is the one sold to go inside their Cordura suits. It fits nicely between the BMW Savannah outer and Goretex liner and gives a more waterproof, warmer suit. I went to see a local sailmaker/ tarpaulin maker and he put some large eyelets in the pants so that the Goretex press stud fasteners go through and hold the HG one in place. Works a treat.

Toasty

I would heartily recommend the Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner.

Rode most weekends last winter, snow, rain, sleet etc.

Soooooo! Hot

Great Kit.

Gerry H.

Darren, I came very close to buying the BMW rally suit with the Gore-Tex liner for all round year use, I'm glad I didn't.

By chance I saw the Hein Gerricke Rally suit (Gore-Tex linear is inclusive of price in Jacket and trousers), the looks alone are pretty impressive, however, overall the suit IMHO in better made, better thought out and very warm with the liners in. In hot weather it also performs, with lots of vents and like the BMW suit a built in area for a 2 litre aqua pack and drinking hose.

Jacket with liner was £195.
Trousers with liner were £ 145.

Hope this helps
Simon T:beerjug:

To be fair to the Savanna and Rallye suits BMW don't claim them to be for "cold" climates in their catalogue. I for one have the "old" savanna and like the ability to go from hot, to normal uk summer to spring /autumn just by adding the goretex liner and then a set of thermals. There again, I don't tend to venture out after the clocks change. :D

Although maybe the image doesn't fit to the GS as well as the Rallye / Savanna, I went for the Streetguard jacket last year. Personally, I think it's great, it's genuinely waterproof (Gore-TEX) and with the inner lining is great for Winter. One tip - I found that by going up one size, the sleeves are long enough to fit right inside my gloves, plus the back is a bit longer to cover the kidneys and of course, if necessary, there's enough room for a sweater when it gets really cold.

Follow RiDE recommendations

Gentlemen - in the various surveys over the years I am pretty sure that BMW clothing has never been well thought of - Weisse, Hein G Yes but not BMW. I remember their waterproof boots getting the thumbs up. For me not only is the material a little rough it's damn expensive for what it is especially if you want the suit and the warm liners.

I thought BMW kit came out pretty well in the Ride Power survey.
I'm at work though, so I could be wrong.

I'm a fan of BMW clothing for the simple reason of fit. Because I'm tall everything else I buy has to be XL or XXL and manufacturers assume that means you're also a fat bastid. The BMW range caters for my size.

I have the Rallye suit and the Savannah suit and I really like both. The Savannah without the goretex liners is cold cold cold. With liners there's a degree of wind protection but only for summer evenings. There's no thermal lining, so the Savannah suit is not meant to be a winter suit. It's not as totally waterproof as purpose-made winter suits are either.

I'd recommend a Savannah suit but buy it large enough to wear layers to suit underneath. I prefer doing this to wearing a thermal lined suit anyway - it gives more options.

The Rallye suit is a summer only suit even with goretex liners inside, but as a summer suit it's the best I've come across.

atlantis 3 suit

i treated myself to an atlanis 3 jacket n trousers a few months ago and find them great..

they were expensive i agree, but the were made to fit, im 6ft4 and its hard to get 36 in waist and 36 inside leg.. im not lanky nor am i large and the jacket n jeans fit perfectly..

and as for warmth they are fine, i also wear the bmw jacket liner thingy, the one with the zip on sleeves,, its great and i wear it as a normal jacket all the time,

the only problem i have is bugs.. on a nuebuck jacket n trousers its a pain to clean them afterwards.. so i wear a over jacket on teh long journeys

I had dainese jacket n trousers b4 and found them xcellent.. but after a years wear the waterproofing starts to go.. but tahts hard wear..

but i got the bmw jacket because i go to a few meetings in dublin and i use my bike, and i was always getting the ''sorry couriers go to that desk over there'' story.. not that i mind but most receptionists look down their nose at couriers.. little do they know couriers make a fortune here in dublin, the good ones anyway..

i love the look an thier faces when i pull out my card and say im here to meet so and so.. heh heh its almost, but your on a motorbike.. and i say yep, and i made it accross town in 10 mins, not a hour in a cab.. :)

- the atlantis i can wear anywhere and its great.. i now still get the courier treatmet because i have a helmet in my hand but thats no problem, i love parking my bike at the front door and going to see whoever and get the is that yours look..

tis good to ride a gs..

regards

pthagonal..

Back
Top Bottom