Gearbox drain plug 1100gs

davesc

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first GS, although I have owned K's, Airheads and oilheads before. It's a lovely '97 bike with 14K miles.

So, first stupid question:

I thought I'd do a fluid change on the bike as it's new to me and want to do the gearbox oil.
Please can someone confirm which is the gearbox drain plug for me? I'm assuming it's the one in that deep dark tunnel directly below the filler plug. Hopefully the picture below has come out.

second stupid question:

If so, I'm having trouble getting enough torque on it to get it undone. I warmed up the gearbox with a twenty minute ride and have an allen key on an extension with a ratchet handle, but I can't get it to crack open.

To be honest, I'm scared stiff of rounding of the head of the plug, as it will be a nightmare to get at for disaster recovery operations - any hints?

p1877631460-4.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Drain is the bottom one... fill is the top one! FIll to the bottom of the upper plug... wipe away acces and put the plug back in the top. If you haven't already reinstalled the lower plug it will hold a lot of oil! Be sure to get the correct spec oil... GL5 methinks.

It is the bottom one to drain, my drain is a 13mm bolt head not a Allen head, I use a 3/8 drive 13mm long socket with short extension and a 3/8th breaker bar to undo, do it up with a 3/8th drive torque wrench :thumb

If it were a Allen head I have a set of 3/8th drive sockets with Allen key heads I would use, all Teng gear, invest in the right tools for the job and your have no problems! :D

Thanks guys - I'm using Teng too, so no worries there, but I don't have a long breaker bar. I think the socket on the bolt head is already worn.

Perhaps I should let the bike cool right down and try again.

Dave

Now you have me confused:blast " the socket on the bolt head is already worn"

Is it a Allen type socket in the drain or a "Bolt head" presumably 13mm??

Whatever it is, if its damaged I would order up a new one before setting about getting the old one out!

If the allen socket is rounded try an oversized torx bit tapped in to the now rounded Allen key hole, best use a torx socket, short extension and a club hammer used carefully to tap the torx into the Allen head, the tapping might help free it as well, order up a replacement first though :thumb

Yes - good advice about getting a new one ready before trying again. This one definitely isn't going back in.

Cheers

Dave

Pretty sure it should be a 13mm bolt like this.......

Motobins do them £12.50+Vat

With the new one you will probably find the supplied sealing washer is just a bit to big and sags off centre when fitting, tightening this up distorts the sealing washer and it then leaks, the answer I found is to run a bit of insulating tape around the edge of the bolt/sealing washer to hold it centre, and then torque it up :thumb2

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 187
Thanks. New one on order.

Quite worried about how I'm going to get the old one out though. Shining a torch into the tunnel shows that the head is not in good condition. :confused:

Dave

Use a good quality six sided socket.

Regards Paul

That will be really useful on an allen key bolt:D

I think the standard drain plug bolt was the allen key type that you have. My 1100 had one when I got the bike but it has since been swapped for a standard bolt head.

I never thought changing the gearbox oil could be so complicated.

I assume from this post, that the two types of plug are interchangeable and that I can fit the hex head (washer type) in place of my non washer type, once I can get the bl**dy thing out.

Dave

Yep, they will be interchangable, no worries :thumb2

It's not a problem. Just hit a torq bit into it.

Here's one i did earlier.

2n0m0pl.jpg

Thanks for that - I'll be trying that once the new plug arrives and I'm back from hols.

Cheers

Dave

I find spraying reluctant nuts and bolts with WD 40 a few times helps as well, especially if you can do it over a few days.
Lubrication, lubrication, lubrication

It's out - finally. Using the method suggested by Steptoe, so thanks for that! And boy, was it done up tight :nenau

The bolt was of the non washer type, I think, but had a washer fitted.

All done now though, with a new hex head style bold including new crush washer fitted.

Thanks for the advice all.

Cheers

Dave

Back
Top Bottom