Cali will not start

r100gser

Reaction score
Hi I have just bought this Cali for £1400 only problem is it will not start, the fuel pump primes, the starter turns, it has a weak spark at he plug but it will not start - it was running well then was left for three weeks, and the the problem developed when it was attempted to start after the lay up----any one got any ideas ?.....Thanks....Ian

Start off with a new pair of NGK caps. Take just a couple of mm off the end of the plug leads and screw the new ones on. Fit a new pair of plugs. Go mad and get NGK Iridium ones. Take out the flywheel sensor - right side in front of the gearbox/motor join. It'll likely be covered in filings. Don't lose the shim under the sensor.
If you can get an airline, blow out the clutch dust and filings whilst it's out. Careful of your eyes...

Try that and see what happens...
I'd order a sensor for the top of the lh rocker box - the oil contaminants attack it and they go wrong - makes it mega rich. Very small screws. That, and a setup of the efi should sort it.

Jeez - i should go back to fixing these... Any problems with your gearbox, ask Ogmios!

Also, try some fresh petrol, my V11 would not fire up after a prolonged stand. New petrol sorted it out - maybe?????????

cali wont start

HI, thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. the bike is a really tidy 1997 cali 1100i its done a genuine 26k miles, the bike was advertised ro £2150 when i went to view it it would not start, it had a week spark, and the plugs where dry, however the fuel pump could be heard priming when the ignition was switched on, I did a deal for the bike and got it for £1400 as it was.

The previus owner delivered the bike today, after he had gone i put the key in pressed the starter and the bike burst into life, i have done about 50 miles on it tonight and it really does run well although it does smell a bit rich.

I intend to give it a service with a new fuel filter and iridium plugs, i will also change the mini elays, clean the crank sensor and buy a new phase sensor - and hopfully that will be me with a nice cheap cali......:thumb.....Ian

PS any one got a set of 40ltr hepco becker panniers for sale ?

There is an absolute wealth of knowledge on the Guzzi GB Club ,
i havent asked for help yet without recieving it tenfold .
So genuinely nice people .

Nice little Cali you have there and at that price, it's a steal! :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom