2nd Jan Trail Ride

Spout

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The first trail ride of the year was a good mixture of weathers, terrain, and obstacles (natural and mechanical).
Simon (Sorebums) on his 100GS, Lee on his Kawasaki and myself set off in sunshine and tackled a few local trails. A steep tricky one was done in reverse but still left us in a sweat. The trail can be seen behind us (alongside the wooden fence).

Attachments

• mellor.jpg
    mellor.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 135
Within half an hour the weather turned, with high winds and driving sleet.
The perfect weather for a flat tyre:

Attachments

• puncture2.jpg
    puncture2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 133
Don't make witty comments to Simon when he's busy :rolleyes:

Attachments

• puncture.jpg
    puncture.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 140
A nice long fairly easy trail then put some heat back into us. We decided to bypass the ford at Whalley Bridge but rode the trail along the back of Goyt Valley.
There we met an XR rider whose dead battery had left him stranded. We managed to get his bike running - but only when connected to Simons battery by a yard of wire (is there anything NOT in Simons tool roll?!). Formation riding (Simon ride in a staight line - ha!) was out of the question so a couple of straps and some bailing string provided a makeshift tow rope for his mate to pull him back to civilisation.
We continued on our way, but at the end of the fire road (a few of you have ridden it) realised we were now a couple of hours behind schedule. A quick rethink and we headed off towards Wildboarclough.
The trail there runs through an area where trials are held - it's a bit naddgery :D Unfortunately I was planning for the nasties ahead, relieved to have successfully crossed the river and forgot to fully concentrate on where I was (hows that for an excuse?!) and my poor Adv had its first tumble. The TT head guards worked well, but I'm now a mirror short!
It was a bit of a fight to get to the end of the trail - lots of rocks and steps - great! It really is amazing what these bikes will cope with.
A gust of wind at the next gate had my bike on its left side. Again the TT guards deformed nicely :rolleyes:

Attachments

• gate.jpg
    gate.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 133
Then it was a short bimble round to a trail that runs to Three Shires Head, an often phtographed beauty spot where three shires come to head :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 3shires2.jpg
    3shires2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 128
A rock step infested trail led away from the bridge. I had the pleasure of following Simon chugging along in the 'sit down' style he has developed [Japan and back, two up most of the way], his GS looked unstopable (although it ground out a few times!)
I had another tumble when a dry stone wall jumped out infront of me after a tricky rock step.

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 189
By the time we got back to tarmac it was getting dark and a lot cooler so we headed home (via a few lanes to warm us up!).
Another great days riding :D

We'll try and post here before we go again, so if you want to join us let us know. Trails can be suited to experience.

(We have a few nasty ones up our sleeves though :eek: )

Back
Top Bottom