What's the best little toolkit for a trip?

shready

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What's the best little toolkit to throw in your pannier for a trip?

Not intending to strip the bike but something for general use?

Something by Teng or Halfords?

You need one that has all the bits you specifically need.....

How about the original toolkit......it was designed for the job :thumb2

(there are some good additions to make to it, but as a base kit, it's a better start than buying a generic one, IYSWIM)

You need one that has all the bits you specifically need.....

How about the original toolkit......it was designed for the job :thumb2

(there are some good additions to make to it, but as a base kit, it's a better start than buying a generic one, IYSWIM)

Cheers Bill.

I owe you a pint:beerjug:

Shreads old bean I take something like this with me....plus a few cable ties, pliers and a couple of spanners. If you need anything more then you are likely to be calling recovery. :D

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_157387_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

Must admit I also have a 1/4 inch drive Halfords Pro set on mine. :thumb

Plus a multitool or two :augie

the obvious things like spare fuses, duct and insulating tape etc can all be stashed away permanently on the bike......little holes in the moulding under the seat etc....cable ties in tubing (crash bars?) and so on.

I do carry bulbs, but TBH I doubt it's worthwhile if you're staying inside Yoorup......every garage sels bulbs and there's nothing exotic about any of the ones on the good ol' 11xx's

As Bill says .... standard tool kit :thumb

If I'm away for a weekend or more, and especially on a tour with others, I always take ....

1). Snap on ratchet screwdriver with a collection of bits. Ideal for lose helmet screws, fairing panels and all sorts of stuff :thumb
.... and before some bright spark gets on about the cost of Snap On I've had this screwdriver over 25 years :p

2). Snap On/BluePoint circuit tester

3). Snap On/BluePoint soldering iron (butane)

4) Small socket set from Polo in Germany. About £15 at the time. Superb quality ... had it years. Absolutely indispensable :thumb

:beerjug:

As Bill says .... standard tool kit :thumb

If I'm away for a weekend or more, and especially on a tour with others, I always take ....

1) My OAP card so I can get on 'trams for half price

2). Snap on ratchet screwdriver with a collection of bits. Ideal for lose helmet screws, fairing panels and all sorts of stuff :thumb
.... and before some bright spark gets on about the cost of Snap On I've had this screwdriver over 25 years :p

3). Snap On/BluePoint circuit tester

4). Snap On/BluePoint soldering iron (butane)

5) Small socket set from Polo in Germany. About £15 at the time. Superb quality ... had it years. Absolutely indispensable :thumb

Get yer prorities right Micky:thumb

:kissy2

Rema puncture kit?

Goes without saying ... or an aerosol repair/re-inflate can for the tubed tyres amongst us :eek:

Here's my kit, mentioned above, never leave home without it. Got loads of good folk out the shit over the years ;)

L1020596-L.jpg

Plus my bus pass of course :rob

What's wrong with the plugging kit and CO2 inflation setup in the stock toolkit? Serious question, I've always had faith in it being there but never had to use it.

That's the Rema kit .... don't think new bikes have it, do they?

CO2 cyl great if you know you have fixed the puncture 100% and you know you will find a garage before too long.
12V compressor great for all other cases.
Make sure on Canbus that the compressor has croc clips as the acc socket will trip. Or fit acc socket conversion direct plumbed.

Mine's an '03 and came new with the puncture kit; I'm guessing the last of the 1150s still did?

Mine did....'04 GSA.....one of those silly little green plastic boxes with the BMW oval plugs.....long since replaced with rat tail type and a better reamer/open eyed needle inserter.

FWIW, a short stroke bicycle pump with the 'normal' Schrader (car type) valve connection is more reliable than a compressor, can be cable tied to the inside of a pannier rail (with a condom over the valve end to keep the crap out) and just left....the CO2 cylinders will never get a rear tyre above about 4-5psi, which is fine for 4mph riding to a garage but little more.

A bike pump may be harder work but you can at least go to any pressure :thumb2

I had one of the little gas soldering irons that Micky has, but I eventually replaced it with a 'turbo' style lighter....

$(KGrHqMOKpwFHc(3JijLBR-pk3yGVg~~60_12.JPG

(under a fiver from ebay or most petrol stations)

Plenty capable of soldering, heat shrinking etc, and will even light a fag :D

Circuit tester also a good idea......I've got one similar to Micky's but I also carry a £5 very small multimeter, wrapped in bubble wrap.....

EXAMPLE £2.97 free delivery
:eek: makes it a no brainer

$(KGrHqV,!ocFHl(TUNqOBR7-PVj8I!~~60_35.JPG

CO2 cyl great if you know you have fixed the puncture 100% and you know you will find a garage before too long.
Make sure on Canbus that the compressor has croc clips as the acc socket will trip. Or fit acc socket conversion direct plumbed.

Canbus, how silly:D

It's worth knowing that one of the three cartridges supplied in the kit is enough to inflate the front tyre to around 20lb, while two will inflate the rear one to around the same. No need to use the third cartridge as it only adds a further 2lb.

A 12v compressor won't trip out if it draws no more than 5 amps.

A good trick if you are using a compressor is to fire it up before attaching it to the tyre valve, which has less of an impact on the bike's electrics.

Nippy Norman does a mini footpump that looks good quality for around £34 which might be a consideration if you have the room. It can inflate a rear tyre on a GS from flat to 38psi in less than 3 mins.....http://www.nippynormans.com/product...-mini-footpump-with-digital-gauge-wun-8600250

It's worth knowing that one of the three cartridges supplied in the kit is enough to inflate the front tyre to around 20lb, while two will inflate the rear one to around the same. No need to use the third cartridge as it only adds a further 2lb.

What size cartridges?

A 'typical' 12 gramme sized cartridge (the size that comes with most kits) only has enough gas in it to fill a rear tyre to 7psi MAXIMUM.
Do the maths if you like.....Toroidal volume calculations are fiddly, but the volume of gas in a rear tyre has to be about 15-20 litres :nenau)

Back
Top Bottom