RAM mount info required

Eddy802

Can someone tell me the diameter of the bar that goes up and around the top of the clocks on the 12, in order that I can order an appropriate U bracket with RAM ball.

Anyone else mounting like this?

Will that bar take the weight of a 2610 on a RAM mount if the bracket is postioned along the top horizontal piece, or will I need to mount it closer to the bolting points at the side?

Thanks

Eddy802 said:
Can someone tell me the diameter of the bar that goes up and around the top of the clocks on the 12, in order that I can order an appropriate U bracket with RAM ball.

Thanks

It's not round, do you still want the dimensions?

Thanks Roger.

I got my Pan mount through these guys and so was aware of mounts at the handlebar or from the clamp.

I was rather hoping to make use of that bar that goes around the clocks. That way a short or medium arm should allow me to get the 2610 into position on an eye line on the upper side of the clock cluster and forward enough not to interfere with the screen.

Would a U bolt of an approriate diameter clamp donw on it?

If so, yes please.

Search out Ram Man on this site or look at the gps warehouse site, he is "the Man.

HTH, Nick

Hi Eddy802

If John or someone can give me dimensions plus an image to look at then I can give some help. Please reply to the forum or my email box if preferred.

I am aware RAM is expanding the RAM-B-309 range with connecting flex rods that primarily anchor on to handlebar clamps - but I am waiting to get bits to play with first.

Reading the threads, the RAM U-bolt clamps between 3/4" to 1" dia bar otherwise the Migsel bracket is a further option used by others to go around the speedo clock. Let me know 'if and how' I can help.

RAM-man

... BIG thanks !! Commuter.

The bar in question, as pointed out, is not round. It's roughly oval in section, with the shorter diameter being about 5/8" and the longer one being about 7/8".

I'm hoping to put a RAM mount in the same place, I'll be getting the mount in the next day or so, will report back! :)

Re: Re: RAM mount info required

RAM-man said:
the RAM U-bolt clamps between 3/4" to 1" dia bar
Hi RAM-man, is there a mount which clamps onto the cross-piece on the 1150 handlebars? Looks smaller than 3/4". I want to get my Quest as close to my failing eyesight as poss:D

Ta

I'm getting addicted to this forum!!

I just hope I can find time to help out those in need once I have my bike! :)

Seriously though, I really appreciate all the advice, info and guidance guys.

Looking forward to the Mouse-report.

John.. thanks for the image - it helps.
Mouse & Eddy .. I am also interested in seeing the results as well.

Looking at the 'oval' shaped rail, I would attach it so the U bolt itself is one bevel end and the U- bolt bracket with ball is on the other bevel curve. I hope this makes sense. The U-bolt bracket has elongated holes (approx 12mm x 8mm) and on the bracket underside there's a ^ (inverted V) that should hold and bite. I would consider adding a rubber gasket strip wrapped around the oval rail ?.

The U-bolt is 45mm depth from mid-point in the U to outer tip of thread end with 20mm of thread.

U-bolt mount is a RAM-B-149Z or RAM-B-149ZA (short arm version) plus cradle. The U-bolt alone is a RAM-B-231Z.

Regards,

RAM-man

Re: Re: Re: RAM mount info required

shuck raider said:
Hi RAM-man, is there a mount which clamps onto the cross-piece on the 1150 handlebars? Looks smaller than 3/4". I want to get my Quest as close to my failing eyesight as poss:D

Ta

Me too, what bits do we need Ram man.

I want to stick my Quest here.........

Attachments

• screenshot016.jpg
    screenshot016.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 795
Whatton,

You could mount a u-bolt on the part of the bar that meets the handguard, not the cross-bar. Then use an arm length of your choice to mount it where you want. I used to have my "V" sitting over the clutch reservoir housing. Same eye level as the speedo and you could push buttons on the move easily - which I never did of course :rolleyes:

Only downside I can see is the antenna being flipped up in the airflow and breaking.

There's a solution on the RAM Mount UK website (direct link to page) that I think is the answer.

Look at the middle pic and mount the u-bolt on the left part of the bar instead of the right. A 1" arm should put it right where you want it I would think.

We aim to please :D

check your pm (if you haven't already)

:beerjug:

jon

Oh, I know where you've been looking ....

Since Xmas, some 'nice' GSer members have sent me pics of their Quest mounts and they are listed in the customer galleries > bike mount reviews. The latest are Quest 3 and Quest 4 who are fellow forum members.

Quest 4 uses a RAM-B-149Z with the Quest cradle.

IF, ever you want it longer (so its even closer to you).. try a longer arm RAM-B-201-C or my choice is, try a RAM-B-230 double ball adaptor with another standard arm RAM-B-201, as it gives you more flexibility to adjust angles etc,.

***RAM-man quick tip coming ***
As a guide, the standard arm is the length of your index finger, the short arm is length of your thumb, same for double ball adaptor.

Regards,

RAM-man

It's all good. Thanks again.

I ordered a RAM-B-231Z today (U-bolt alone as I have a medium arm and cradle already, may need/opt for the short arm, we'll see).

I think Mouse will have setup in place and presented soon, but if not, I'll post pictures when mine's set up.

Don't hold your breath though, the largest componet has yet to arrive!!

:(

Here's my preliminary attempt ... I'm going to redo it this evening when I have more time but this demonstrates that the U bolt does fit round that particular tube :)

I wrapped a bit of rubber (inner tube!) round the tube to protect it. The non-circular shape of the tube means that it's a bit tricky to position the clamp at exactly the angle you want, but the adjustability of the rest of the bracket probably means this isn't a problem.

Hopefully when I mount the GPS unit (a StreetPilot 3) it will be nicely positioned above the instuments but still shielded by the screen. The RAM part is a RAM-B-149Z-G1 by the way.

RAM1.jpg

RAM2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom