Northern France

Cooky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to Northern France for weekend of biking in March.Not sure exactly where at the moment. Anyone got any tips on good roads in that area or sources to find them?

Thanks

Andrew

Best plan is to ride over towards Rouen (about 2 hours) then have a bumble round Normandy,
it's pretty uncrowded over there in March some great roads, food too.
enjoy......
Barrie

Did Calais to St Malo and back at the end of 2004.

Calais area was good and St Malo was excellent, but the bit in between was a little lacking for me.

St Valery and west was very good.

Think if I was to spend time there again I'd go off and visit the WW1 battlegrounds. The Canadian monument remains as it was during the fighting with trenches and wire. Lots to explore I suspect.

Here's one of my sites:

VisitNormandy.org

Got one route, including GPS file published. Didn't get around to putting other routes in, but that could form the basis. There's plenty of really nice roads in Normandy.

Thanks for the tips. Mike, your website is invaluable. Good excuse to buy the Garmin Quest I've been eyeing up and download your suggested trip.

The N71 from Dijon to Troyes, or Troyes to Dijon!

I recently came back on this road in the car. Its the second time I've driven along this road. It strikes me as a superb biking road. It has long straights with lots of undulations. Long sweepers. Tight switchbacks. Bends with increasing and decreasing radiuses. All the aforementioned with both positive and negative cambers and mainly across open fields and farmland and through small villages. If its good fun in a Citreon Xantia, it must be superb to get busy on a bike on it!:cool:

eeeerrrrrrrrrrrr

france+roads = anywhere you chuffin like, its all spot on! :D

Re: The N71 from Dijon to Troyes, or Troyes to Dijon!

Taipan said:
I recently came back on this road in the car. Its the second time I've driven along this road. It strikes me as a superb biking road. It has long straights with lots of undulations. Long sweepers. Tight switchbacks. Bends with increasing and decreasing radiuses. All the aforementioned with both positive and negative cambers and mainly across open fields and farmland and through small villages. If its good fun in a Citreon Xantia, it must be superb to get busy on a bike on it!:cool:
I've done that stretch twice on the Hayabusa, absolutely stonking road :D

I noticed at the weekend that it's in Bike magazine's "Brilliant Roads" supplement. Unfortunately it's a little too far south for where we're going and the time we've got. One for the future though.

Back
Top Bottom